Waterproofing Ammo

Jack_Bauer24

Where can you find red lacquer sealant that is around the primers that make ammo waterproof? I have some ammo that isn't lacquer sealed and would like to make it waterproof but can't find any online, please help.

Darren007

You mean to tell me you can't buy a bottle of red lacquer like the factories use to seal around the primers any where?

MidwayUSA has it. But its nothing more than fingernail polish packaged as primer sealant.

tony pasley

Sealing the primer will help unless you get flooded out or it is under water for over an hour. I lost many rounds of ammo due to flooding several years back, just know it will help with moisture but will not means it is waterproof.

Rmart30

Sealing the primer will help unless you get flooded out or it is under water for over an hour. I lost many rounds of ammo due to flooding several years back, just know it will help with moisture but will not means it is waterproof.

A tube of clear silicone is cheap and a very thin layer will seal it. Dont gob it on there.
I tried this a few years back after my pack got wet and ruined some rifle ammo.
I tested 5 rounds, lightly siliconed over the primer and around the bullets base where it meets the casing, let it cure over night and dropped them in a pan of water and let them sit there 48 hrs..... took em out and loaded them up and shot them :)

Scattergun Bob

Jack_Bauer24

Roy's primer sealant, Brownells, but it is not red it is kinda blue. Smells like my wife's finger nail polish, but could not say for sure.

Good Luck & Be Safe

AZ Med18

Would the process just sealing the primer and base or around the rim also by the bullet?

Im kinda new to the whole bullet dynamics thing.

guntotin_fool

Most ammo is sealed or at least has a crush fit of the components enough to with stand any intermittent water. if you are worried about whole batches, get a thermaseal and make your own battle packs. its much faster.

I have never had ammo get wet enough not to work except for Old paper shelled Gold Medal Target Federals, but they sat in a wet tool box in my truck for a couple of days, nothing wrong on their part, I never pulled the drain plug...