waterfowl hunters i need your help, please.

rem870hunter

having to use non toxic shot for waterfowl hunting. with the exception of hevi shot (IMO too much for a 10 shot box $35.00) so i may not buy any of that. steel shot not being as dense as lead shot. i read that you should go 2 sizes larger with steel vs. lead. so back in the day when dad and i could use #4-#7.5 lead for ducks and i guess #2-#5 lead for geese.

what would be recomended nowadays for ducks and geese? i was thinking for geese #2-T, ducks #3-#6. what loads and brands have been working for you?
geese hunting would be on land in open fields, ducks over small bodies of water locally.

with a load that spreads well at different distances and chokes. we can use no larger than T here for waterfowl and migratory birds. i have 12 ga. 2.75" and 3" 1&1/8 oz. loads of BB,2,4 steel as of right now.

model70fan

I hunt geese mainly with BB over fields, ducks over water I use either #2 of #4, if I'm planning on pass shooting divers and such I will stick with 4s but decoying birds I like #2s just so ya have a better chance of stoning them right now. I have used the hevi shot, works good but is spendy. When not using hevi shot I actually like Blackcloud rounds. They use what they call FS steel technology- steel shot with a sharp ring around them, they work pretty good, it is supposed to focus the energy on the target a little more and tear stuff up where as regular round steel shot focuses energy past the target. Basically none are as good as lead, all you can do is hope to maybe come close. What they fail to realize is that by outlawing lead shot they are saving some ducks from eating lead, but there are far more wounded birds diving/flying/or swimming away to die somewhere else. Your BBs, 2s, and 4s are the sizes I use so I guess all I can say is check out that Blackcloud, works pretty good IMO

RamSlammer

I use the following . . .

For Mallards and Woodies over decoys in flooded timber here in Arkansas I like the fastest steel I can find . . . . Kent Fasteel or Winchester Xpert HV in #2 or #4 shot, 2.75" with an IC choke. These loads are usually 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz. at 1550 to 1675 FPS.

In rice fields for ducks and geese I use the same ammo in BBB or T . . . 3" with a modified choke (or full if over a very large spread for Snows).

I'm with you on the HeviShot is just too expensive opinion.

Less than 3 weeks until our season opens!!

globemaster3

You're on the mark. I exclusively shoot 2-3/4 (1-1/4 oz loads) and take geese and ducks using BB or #2. I also make no attempt at sky-busting. If you are into that, go to 3". I prefer to take shots inside 30 yards and gear down coming into my dekes.

The other non-toxics out there are so damn expensive! I've never been able to force myself to try them. I keep thinking the price has to come down at some point once they recoup their development costs, but I have yet to see it. Man how I miss the lead days!!!!