Water damage and RCBS 505

Red_Eagle

When the building next to my appartment caught fire my cieling (not roof) collapsed and some cieling tiles and plaster fell on my 505. It appears okay, but I cant get it to zero. Should I add more shot to the pan support or just replace it? What would you do?

a7mmnut

The balance beam may be bent or damaged. Even if it isn't, the pivot pin will probably rust and be prone to sticking. If you have renters insurance, I would file it with the other damaged items you probably have. In other words--buy a scale. Your life may very well depend on its accuracy.:eek:

-7-

Red_Eagle

Thanks

Thats the direction I was leaning. Oh, well. I was actually thinking about up-grading to the 1010 any way. Guess its time for it.

a7mmnut

One note on that high dollar 1010: I had one of those for years and kept it mostly in an outside building or in the basement. Eventually, the cheap glue that holds your balance beam reference point zero plate turned loose and it fell off!:mad: I sold it after repair in a yard sale for $20 and went with a new Hornady for around $40. No regrets. My cheap little Lee is around twenty years old and still very accurate.($20:D) It uses a razor edge rather than a pivot pin for the poise. Remember that moisture is always the enemy with any kind of precision equipment.

-7-

Red_Eagle

I'll probubly go with the hornady then. I just tried to get one of the RCBS 10-10s and it was $156 after shipping and insurance. I've thought about the redding too. not very impressed with the Lyman.

Red_Eagle

Final update

hate to re-open a dead thread, but replaced that 505 today with an RCBS 1500 Range Master. My 1st electronic scale and so far I love it.

Glad that you replaced your scale. You probably could have sent it back to RCBS for assessment/repair, but I personally would never trust it again.

RCBS often repairs things free that aren't their fault. Take Mike's suggestion and send it back. Having an electronic scale is great, but having a beam scale to check it against from time to time is excellent insurance.