WASR 10/63 vs C39v2?

DubC-Hicks

Hey guys, I currently have a WASR 10/63. It works fine, and has none of the typical Century problems such as canted sights. The magwell is a bit sloppy though, but never caused a malfunction.

My question is, is it worth selling mine and "upgrading" to another Century gun, such as the C39v2? I have no interest in the RAS47 as I hear too many horror stories. I know an Arsenal or PSA AK would be more ideal but they're a bit more money, and I guess I'm just not THAT into AK's. Any input would be welcome :)

peggysue

Why get a C39v2 if you WASR is working? A machined receiver is heavier. You have a bayo mount and a cleaning rod with the WASR. (Historic) Just upgrade you WASR. Lots of OEM stuff our there.

DubC-Hicks

It's not that I'm unhappy with the WASR, just wondering if the C39v2 is nice enough to be considered an upgrade that's worth getting.

It's like my Maverick 88. It works great, but I wouldn't mind a Mossberg 590 instead

Fishbed77

My question is, is it worth selling mine and "upgrading" to another Century gun, such as the C39v2?

You're kidding right? The C39v2 most certainly isn't an upgrade over the WASR.

One is a imported AK with a cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined barrel and forged trunnions manufactured in a factory that has made military-grade AKs for decades.

The other is consumer-grade hobby rifle with castings, non-standard parts and a non-chromed barrels made to sell to folks who are under the mis-guided notion that being American-made makes an AK "better," when in fact, the opposite is true.

DubC-Hicks

I wasn't kidding. I'm not well versed in the AK world, as most of my time is spent with milsurps, handguns, and ARs. I bought the WASR years ago, probably 2008? and was just wondering if Century's newer rifles were better. I'm aware that US made AKs are looked down upon (except for perhaps the PSA AK now), but I've also seen the new generation C39v2 get some pretty good reviews, now that they're using 4150 nitrided barrels and the trunnions are milled, not cast.

Looks like I'll be keeping the WASR, unless I feel like dropping extra cash on an Arsenal or DDI.

Price could be above your max. acceptable, but how about the Polish from Atlantic Firerms?

I'm well aware that "AK Operators Union" reviews are Not scientific, but what other tester on YouTube checks internal component wear after 3,500, then 5,000 rds.?

Robski found the WASR 10 and Polish from Atlantic to have higher quality steel than the RAS after 5,000 and much less peening etc.

DubC-Hicks

I looked at the Polish, but it's a little out of range for now. And yes, I've been steering well clear of the RAS47. Too many horror stories of the cast parts

Rob Ski is who I've been watching. I've been wanting him to do a review on the High Standard, but no one is voting for it. It looks like it could have potential.

Deaf Smith

Hey guys, I currently have a WASR 10/63. It works fine, and has none of the typical Century problems such as canted sights. The magwell is a bit sloppy though, but never caused a malfunction.

Got my WASR back during the Clinton days. No bayonet lug! Strait gas system, chrome bore, and a bit of trigger slap I fixed using instructions off the net. Shoots great, and I even refinished the wood furniture so it looks nice. I paid $300 back then.

No, I would not upgrade for the reason I mainly use AR systems and the AK is my teaching system to keep me skilled in the use of the Kalashnikov system.

But if you did want to go AK.. then I'd get the best made.

Deaf

P71pilot

I would hold on to your WASR. The C39s are still new and unproven. The WASR is proven.

If you want to upgrade, you need to step up to a Bulgarian, russian, polish, E. German AK. There is nothing wrong with a WASR. I however would not totally trust a C39

DubC-Hicks

Sounds like the WASR is sticking with me for now. Who knows, it might skyrocket in value or become good trading fodder in the next month or two.

Fishbed77

Who knows, it might skyrocket in value or become good trading fodder in the next month or two.

That's practically a given considering that they have already increased in value by about 50% over the last 2-3 years.