Washington DC = Little Shop of Horrors

Kodiac

If you've never seen "Little Shop of Horrors", it is a satirical musical comedy about a shop keeper who gets a space plant and takes care of it. It grows on special food - blood. Soon the plant growes so big it becomes an unstoppable monster... The pathetic begging "Feed Me" soon become a demand - then a threat. "FEED ME!"

Kinda reminds me of the US Government!

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Paul B.

Kodiac. Great point. Wash. DC is from outer space. They have no clue as to the needs of the inhabitants of this country.
Paul B.

Mike in VA

George Washington had a good analogy for government. I don't remember the exact quote,but it was to the effeect that government was like fire - useful in small, controlled quantities, but all-consuming if it gets out of hand.
M2

James K

Member In Memoriam
Never mind the law, never mind the regulations, never mind the mission statement.

The major purpose and goal of a bureaucracy is to grow larger and perpetuate itself.

Jim (retired bureaucrat)

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispenable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." -George Washington, Commanding General of the Continental Army, Father of Our Country and First President of the United States in a speech to Congress, January 7, 1790.

(sigh)

What I wouldn't give to see this sort of thing from the city that bears his name.

Kodiac

So basically it can be concluded that Governement IS Cancer...

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

45King

Mike in VA,
Here's the quote you're thinking of:
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant, and a fearful master. -George Washington

Kodiac;
Doncha just love the Steve Martin/Bill Murray bit in the movie? The stage production is even better.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Ivan8883

Solution is simple. Put the hungry Beast(Federal Govenment) back where it belongs; in the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico and other territories. You have just restored the 10th amendment. We will have a lot of unemployed Federal employees however and that poses a problem. I am afraid the Beast is just way too big now. It had way too many decades to grow into the biggest most vile Beast of all time. Dont believe me? Check your taxes and myriads of regulations next time you step outside.

Futo Inu

Yeah, I loved Steve Martin's crazy character as the sadistic dentist boyfriend in the movie version. Instead of "Suddenly Seymour", the analogy could include a song about HCI's tactic of pouncing on public tragedies for their own gain: "Suddenly Sarah..."