Was it a good trade?

HKFan9

I had a Ruger LCR .38. I carried it, I was happy with it, and it was free because I won it from Ruger. We ended up getting a S&W 642-2 air weight in at work in mint condition. The customer had the lock on it professionally removed. Came with two sets of grips. I ended up doing an even trade, I traded m LCR for the 642 and a box of Hornady Critical Defense.

Would you have made that trade? I am not a huge revolver guy is why I am asking. I am happy with my trade, I liked the Ruger but the S&W's always felt better to me. I have an original model 60 that was my fathers, so I already have a few nice holsters for the 642, I just didn't like the weight of my steel model 60.

DavidAGO

I would have made the trade; if I could have done it without the box of ammunition I would have been happier, but if it took that box to sweeten the deal enough to get it to happen I would have had no qualms about it. I think Rugers are great guns, I have a few, but I like S&W a bit more, especially in the snubs.

David

HKFan9

I would have made the trade; if I could have done it without the box of ammunition I would have been happier, but if it took that box to sweeten the deal enough to get it to happen I would have had no qualms about it. I think Rugers are great guns, I have a few, but I like S&W a bit more, especially in the snubs.

I GOT the box of ammo, I didn't give it away.

Not a bad trade. I just prefer the LCR triggers.

I did like the LCR trigger, this smith's trigger is not bad at all. I thought about handing it over to my gunsmith at work to have the trigger done, but being as its a pocket carry gun for me in warm weather or a winter coat pocket I am not sure if I want to get that involved in it.

It shoots fine for me, and I shot it one handed as I would expect to deploy it one handed if needed.

As I stated I am not a huge revolver guy, so I don't expect it to ever be my primary carry gun, but I just wanted to see what other people would have done. Don't get me wrong I was happy with the LCR they are a nice gun, however side by side the smith was a little bit smaller.

DavidAGO

I GOT the box of ammo, I didn't give it away.
I misread, or read too quickly. Even better. A really good trade.

David

shafter

I can't say if I would have made the trade or not although I do like Smith snubs, it does sound like a fair trade though and you ended up with something that feels better in your hands.

Ibmikey

I will never understand the person who buys/trades an item and then wants others to confirm his judgement. Consider your actions and then "just do it".

Sevens

I will never understand the person who buys/trades an item and then wants others to confirm his judgement.
...Because it's a discussion forum?
And others may have some insight in to BOTH of the guns in question that he may not have?
And others may have some ideas and thought process that he may not have considered?

So that he may ponder what he's done and file the information & opinions away for consideration in the future?

Maybe my post will give you some idea of why people start this kind of thread and why others reply. If it did -NOT- do that for you, then your post is one that I'll never understand. In fact -- why would you even click on the thread topic? It's painfully obvious in the five word thread title precisely what was going to be discussed.

To the subject, I think it was a fine trade. I would also prefer the Smith & Wesson in that swap. And FWIW, the Ruger LCR is a decent gun, but they'll make another hundred of them before I finish typing this sentence. If, at any point you feel that you miss the LCR you traded away... another one is a few bucks away. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a handful of them at most any gun store. Very easily replaced.

HKFan9

I can get another LCR whenever I feel like I understand that. Was just seeing what others may have done. I work at a gun shop, so I knew what I was getting into. I am just not a revolver or shotgun guy, and am not afraid to admit my limits. You ask about semi auto's or AR's or bolt guns and I will talk your ear off.

I will never understand the person who buys/trades an item and then wants others to confirm his judgement. Consider your actions and then "just do it".

Well I will never understand why someone opens up a thread and comments in a discussion about how much he dislikes the topic, but I digress.

The reason I asked, money wise it didn't cost me a cent either way. I won the Ruger from the Ruger for free. I however, not being particularly well versed in common trends in revolvers, specially new era ones such as a LCR and a air weight smith, wanted to ask people advice. I sell them all day long, I handle issues and warranty repairs with both. However it is semi infrequent on either that we have issues so I just wanted to ask if there things I did not consider when making the trade. But thank you for your very valuable post complaining about a thread topic in the very thread you chose to open and read. I work with guns 50-60 hours a week, and learn something new every day, guess I am just curious.

richardcorey

Asking "Did I do well?" to me is a form of Reverse Sellers Remorse (No, it's a syndrome I just made up) where you sell a particular item and then ask, Did I do the right thing?
True, it's done and there's no undoing it, but we all have said "If I had to do it again I wouldn't sell..." But I see nothing wrong with feeling good about a trade, and asking for affirmation from like minded people. It's just a sharing of ideas and information, kind of what a Forum is about, Right??? Nuff said

ChiefTJS

I think it was a good trade, I have the 442 (black version, same gun) and love it although mine came without the lock. If one thing jumps out at me it's the statement about the lock being professionally removed. The gun industry is rampant with folks calling themselves "professionals" that are nowhere near it. You said you have an in house gunsmith, if you trust him, I'd have him look inside and make sure the lock was done right. Aside from that, you did fine.

superspirit

I guess it's a Ford vs Chevy kinda thing. I drive a Chevy and would never trade a Ruger for an S&W. but if you are happy then all is well that ends well. I love my LCR 357.