Was caught without my gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

warningshot

Was watching TV & playing on YT in the living room; came across the story of a doulbe murder & torture of a young couple in Knoxville, TN :mad: Solution: Went to the safe and brought out the favorite Hi-Cap. And my M590A1, just in case.

Oh yes; You're the paranoid one, Think the boggie man is coming tonight, Gonna start a war all by yourself, got enough guns & bullets yet?

Any of you find yourself in this situation?

bdb benzino

Sometimes I worry that my family will start thinking I am crazy, because I always either have a gun concealed on me, or if at home relaxing I will have one with in reach of me at all times. Occasionally at home I don't feel like lugging a CCW around so I will grab a 1911 and stick it part way down in the cushion next to me, or just set it next to me.
It may look paranoid to some people, but I would rather have the jump on a tweeker coming through my door uninvited. YMMV.:cool:

kcub

In the 80's my best friend in high school was watching a football game on a Thursday night in a Dallas apartment when the door got kicked in. Two guys with guns took turns raping his roommate's girlfriend and strangled her in the other room.

Not knowing she was dead they agreed to go cash some checks to give them some money. Then they took them out in the country and shot the roommate dead. My buddy took off being a track athlete but they hit him in the neck and left him for dead. He staggered back to town over a mile and survived. The criminals got caught as they were doing this across several states. My friend testified and they were convicted; one got life and the other got the death penalty. He has lived with a stainless snub S&W .357 ever since.

Al Den

Having a gun available, even nearby, and one within arm's reach are really very different things. Yeah, I'd say it's paranoia. Maybe you can do some other things that give you some peace of mind...

eldorendo

The Knoxville case was one of the worst cases of torture and murder I ever heard of. It was clearly a hate crime, but, naturally, was not classified as such by the local gendarmes. The perps should have gotten the death penalty...doubt if they did, though.

Nanuk

In the 80's my best friend in high school was watching a football game on a Thursday night in a Dallas apartment when the door got kicked in. Two guys with guns took turns raping his roommate's girlfriend and strangled her in the other room.

Not knowing she was dead they agreed to go cash some checks to give them some money. Then they took them out in the country and shot the roommate dead. My buddy took off being a track athlete but they hit him in the neck and left him for dead. He staggered back to town over a mile and survived. The criminals got caught as they were doing this across several states. My friend testified and they were convicted; one got life and the other got the death penalty. He has lived with a stainless snub S&W .357 ever since.

Unfortunate incident to happen to your friend. I was a cop in Ft Worth during that time. DFW has always been a rough place. I always carry or have my EDC within reach.

Hansam

I'm always carrying unless I'm somewhere I can't legally carry like the Post Office or a school.

Am I paranoid? Nope. I just want to be prepared.

I recall living in Milwaukee where my neighbor (apartment right next door in the same hallway) had his door kicked in, held at gun point, was beaten and then robbed. I wasn't home that day and luckily they didn't go into my apartment but my neighbor suffered a terrible beating that left him in the hospital for over a week. When I was able to ask him about it he said he'd had a pistol sitting between the arm and cushion of his sofa but he was just coming out of the kitchen when they kicked in his door and were between him and his gun.

Its memories of that event that keeps me with my EDC on me all the time, even at home except when sleeping - then its sitting on the nightstand next to me.

ScotchMan

Having a gun available, even nearby, and one within arm's reach are really very different things. Yeah, I'd say it's paranoia. Maybe you can do some other things that give you some peace of mind...

I'm curious what you mean by this? If you're implying that its not paranoia to have a gun in a safe, but it is paranoia to have it within arm's reach, my question would be, if something does happen, how long does it take you to go get the gun? And how good are you at convincing the bad guys to wait just a minute?

If you think its paranoia to be interested in protecting yourself, fine. But if you are on board with self-protection, but think having the gun readily available is crossing the line, then you may need to re-evaluate some things.

BoogieMan

I cant have a gun next to me all the time. Im in NJ. At home I have young children in and out. So I have a dog and have taken defense/offense classes. Its getting crazier IMO. I dont know if the info stream is better or the crimes are getting worse.

BoogieMan

"Do not take a knife to a gun fight" Nor, a dog, Karate lessons...take a gun.
You have to watch some horror movies. The monster never attacks when your armed. Im no MMA fighter by any stretch but I can hold my own and I always have my hands and feet. Even if you live in a area were you can carry its unlikely that you always have the weapon on you. If somebody breaks in guns blazing Im screwed unless I just happened to have the gun loaded in my hand at the time they come in.
If I play out the statistics. Having a loaded gun in the couch is more likely to get someone in my house shot than someone breaking in. I am envious of those of you in a position to be able to safely store a loaded weapon in arms reach. At this time in my life I do not.

Merad

Honestly? I don't live in constant fear or paranoia... It's ok if I get one or 2 rooms away from a gun.

Dragline45

My computer is in my bedroom and always has a pistol siting next to it, and usually sits there untill I go out which is when I conceal it. Only time ill bring a gun anywhere else in the house with me is when I am home alone and showering.

Status
Not open for further replies.