Wanting to get back to using my shotguns.

jar

Long long ago in a land far far away I used to shoot my shotguns.

About two years ago I joined my local Trap & Skeet club but then Covid and I never even got to use any of the facilities.

Now I'd like to try again.

The last time I fired one of my shotguns was likely 40 years or so ago. Since then they have gotten to come out for inspection and cleaning but no walkabouts. "The time has come," the Walrus said ...

I have three somewhat experienced shotguns, all 20 gauge and one new 20 gauge bought just before Covid. Two of the experienced shotguns were hand-me-downs, a Winchester Model 12 pump with mod choke and a Remington Model 48 Sportsman with a poly choke. The third experienced shotgun is a SxS import from the Eibar region sold as a "Star Gauge" although in no way connected to the company "Star".

I've never shot Trap or Skeet and I have the 20s mostly because my introduction to shotguns back in the 1950s and 1960s was in walking woods annoying squirrels, wandering across fields aggravating doves, quail and pheasants and sitting in a blind amusing ducks and geese. The 16s and 20s were generally slightly lighter, very maneuverable and great for relatively close shots on fast moving targets.

That is, if I were any good all those would be true. The reality I fear was more me being scolded by squirrels, doves, quail and pheasants following behind me feasting on whatever critters I stirred up and mother ducks bringing all the ducklings to whatever blind I was in so they'd be safe.

So I have to admit that I am not quite up to novice level.

I have a few boxes of shotgun shells in #8 target and #4 bird shot so at least I can get started but I wonder how well my old frame is gonna do.

FITASC

For grins and giggles shoot what you want. Use the 8s; 4s won't be allowed on any clay target course. If you intend to eventually shoot for serious score, you will want a 12 gauge version of a target gun for weight and subsequent recoil reduction. The Win with the Mod will work from the 16 easy enough; assuming your gun fits you. That can be easily be determined by hitting the pattern plate to see where the gun is shooting as far as POA/POI.

Last edited:

stinkeypete

The Star Gauge was imported by Interarms, it's made by Amberri (Spain) and if you show up at the skeet range with that thing, someone will be jealous. There is a fad going on now for 20 and 28 gauge side by side shotguns.

The current trend is driven by inexpensive Turkish shotguns that have had QC problems in the past.

You have a Spanish side by side. Spain was sort of like Turkey for a while.. value guns, QC problems, and the QC problems eventually got ironed out. Now it's "well know" that Spanish guns are better than the Turkish ones. (Whether true or not, it's "well known.")

The Model 12 in 12 gauge is already selling at a premium and a 20 gauge is rare and someone would pay you a couple thousand dollars for it, maybe.

All the guns you mentioned are sought after. And I just bought a 20 gauge, mostly for trap and skeet but also hunting pheasant and grouse.

When I shot skeet, I reloaded my own 12 gauge shells to 7/8 ounce loads. Very light recoil. The pattern is exactly the same as a 20 gauge 7/8 ounce load but 6/8 ounce (I mean, 3/4) are common target loads for 20's. So what if you miss a few? Or a lot?

It's about fun.

You've got 3 nice shotguns, and shells are becoming more common. Still not easy to find at any old store on any old day though! Buy yourself a flat of 20 gauge target loads and go out and make some noise.

Ask for someone to coach you at your club. It's completely ordinary to ask for help. It's something old guys do. The young guys are too proud to ask and a couple days of coaching and you'll be months ahead of the pig-headed.

jar

Thanks. IIRC the Star Gauge was about $150.00 when I bought it but that was in the 1970s I believe. It was sometime after I got married because at that that time each fall I went duck hunting with my father-in-law. He preferred a Browning Sweet 16. So the Star Gauge wasn't cheap even then but also it wasn't the most expensive available.

bladesmith 1

Most my shotguns are old SxSs with a Remington model 11 and 31 thrown in for good measure. There's also a Parker SBT for the trap range. They're all 12ga but I reload 3/4oz for clay birds. Easy on the wallet and shoulder which is kind a important for this 76 year old frame. Just go on out and shoot and have some fun.