Wanting to buy .30-30 rifle

foxfire

I'm going to buy a .30-30 rifle within the next month or so. There's no hurry. Always wanted one ever since I was a kid, though. What are some good lever action models out there?
There's a local gun shop here that's got a Marlin w/ a great looking sling for $249. Same shop has a Winchester w/o sling for $259. Decent prices?, or do I need to look elsewhere or at other 'brands'?
Anything I need to be aware of, or avoid?
Any info, help, or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
...save the 2nd., for it saves us all.
No fate but what we make...

muleshoe

The Marlin is probably the better rifle. I own a Winchester 94 manufactured in 1950 that I just love, but I think it's a lot better gun than the present day Winchester. I know that the Marlins accept scope mounts easier than the older 94's. The older ones had to be fitted with a side mount which needed to be tapped into the side of the reciever.(yuck) I belive winchester has fixed that. My open sighted 94 suits me just fine. Like the looks of them better also. If I were in the market for a .30-30, I'd look around for a good sound pre 64. Ser.# before 2,500,000 if I remember right.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
You've got a Win-Win situation here. Both are excellent weapons, tho I prefer the older Winchesters myself. If you plan on scoping this, get the Marlin. Otherwise, get whichever one FEELS best to you.

FWIW, I just got a 94, pre crossbar safety in near NIB condition for $199. Lots of them are for sale right now after deer season.

foxfire

Thanks guys for the info.
I'm still leaning toward the Marlin. Will probably put it in layaway the next time I go by the shop.
I'll gladly share my evaluation(s), if and when.

FWIW, for me at least, 1/2 the fun is in the anticipation, before you finally get what you've been wanting for a very long time..... :)

------------------

[This message has been edited by foxfire (edited January 23, 2000).]

Peter M. Eick

If you can find an older 94 get it. I personally cannot stand the angle eject version and would never buy one.

My first gun was a 94 and I put a williams peep sight on it. Very accurate (for a 30x30) and easy in the brush. Unfortunately college required me to sell it for money and by the time I got money again, everything was angle eject. Now I am slowly hunting for an older one to refinish.

Element

The first gun I ever bought was a Marline 30-30.Its a used older mod, you know young and poor.I've had it scoped and unscoped and I think its 1 of the best bush gun I've ever owned.2"mods at 100 yds. unscoped.

foxfire

Just out of curiosity:
How does the 'angle eject version' ( newer model?) differ from the 'older 94'?

Are there any other cosmetic differences, that I should be aware of?

------------------

DC

Moderator Emeritus
I'll throw in for the Marlin unless you can get an old '94.
A new Win isn't horrible, but if you aren't married to the name Winchester, I think you'd be happier with the Marlin

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

fubsy

Ive never been a big fan of the lever guns, cept the savage 99 in 308--but it will beat you. I recently acquired an old marlin that was in "good" condition externally and the bore was very good. Rifle made supposedly around 1947(?) I dont know for sure but I took the guys word on it...the rifle points so much better than the newer models of any manufactuer and the action feels slick which was a surprise....Id keep looking for an older one...this one cost $250 I think...fubsy.

Unkel Gilbey

I don't know about you folks, but when Winchester folded to the lawyers and put in that crossbar safety, I ran out side and hurled my lunch. It's truely unfortunate that when I saw this for the first time, it was on one of those fancy "Franklin Mint" commemorative weapons that you see in the gun mag's every once in a while. Yuck!

I grew up with a pre-64 Winchester 30-30 that Dad put a receiver sight on. He used to do well at the Turkey shoot's with it - back when a turkey shoot was won by whomever put a bullet closest to the center dot on that 100 yard target. This was pretty good considering that he was competing against bolt guns, slides and auto's that everyone else was bringing.

For my money, I'd look for an older Winchester, put another Lyman receiver sight on it, maybe change the front sight to something that works better with the peep, and then get it rechambered to 30-30 Ackley Improved.

Good Luck! Unkel Gilbey

foxfire

Thanks to all that have responded with their thoughts.
I may have to rethink my decision to just 'run out' and get a new .30-30.

Just don't know of anyone who is willing to let an 'older one' go. Also don't feel comfortable going to a local gun show and buying one 'on site'. Never have yet, but there's always a first time.... :)

------------------

[This message has been edited by foxfire (edited January 23, 2000).]

Paul B.

Foxfire. The thing to look out for on the pre-64 Winchester 30-30 is the screw on the plate that drops down when you work the lever. If it is all burred up, there is a problem with the cartridge stop, and a round will go between the plate and the carrier. A real pain in the butt to clear.
Paul B.

Paul B.

Fubsy. I know what you mean about the older Winchesters seemingly pointing better. I have one made in 1910, and one of the first USRAC versions. Seems they change the angle on the stock, somewhere down the road. It may have been one of the changes made when they went post 64. Seems to reduce the recoil some, but sure messed up the pointability.
Paul B.

fubsy

Paul B,
There must have been a change somewhere in the stock making process, it seems that when ever I shoulder a "real rifle" made by shooters not accountants it just points were there supposed to go and I dont have to crawl the stock....fubsy.

foxfire

At last!
Got the Marlin Model 336W out of the layaway yesterday.
I kinda feel like a little kid again.
Goosebumps and everything.
Always wanted one when I was growing up.
It was difficult, 'cause we moved a lot.
And as an Army brat, I cherished my few prized possessions and longed for more.
Now nearly 40 years later... :)

I'll be taking it with me next weekend when I go up to the range that my dad and I put together.
My question: What std commerical ammo should I take, or is recommended?
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for listening.

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.

Paul B.

Foxfire. any of the major manufacturors ammo is all right. I have too many 30-30's right now, all Winchesters. One sxhoots less than an inch ar 50 yards with 150 gr. Federals, another likes Winchester 170 gr. bullets, but all of them like my full power cast lead loads. :) Even the Marlin I just sold did well with cast loads, and it was a Micro-groove model. Work good on deer too.
Your best bet is get a box of each brand and weight, as you can afford, and try them ou to see which works best.
Paul B.

foxfire

Paul B,
I'll drop by my favorite local dealer tomorrow (he's closed on Monday) to see what he's got on the shelf.
Will take 3 different brands/loads with me this weekend, when I (finally!) get a chance to see what it'll do.
Thanks for the info.

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.