Wanting something different...

shooter_john

I recently built an(other) AR to be my primary varmint rifle (yote's and other similar) and I have an array of semi auto .308's and a .308 bolt gun. Now I want something different, and I have kinda been interested in either a 6mm or .260 Rem, but I have found that rifles in either of these are uncommon. (I want a heavy barrel bolt action, with a $700 budget.. and yes I already have a scope).
Other choices would be a .300 mag (just because I want one) or a .22-250/
.243 varmint gun. Whatever I get, I want accuracy at 400+ yards, with varmint capabilities.
And finally, I reload, so ammunition is no issue.
Thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

T. O'Heir

The Remington Model 7 is chambered in .260 Rem. Brand new it's above your budget though. The Rem 700 VLS comes in 6mm. It's over budget too.
With a $700 budget you're looking at a used rifle.
Otherwise all the manufacturers make a heavy barreled varmint/target rifle. Savage is your friend, price wise. http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

Jason_G

I've got a 742 in 6mm and I love it other than the fact that I can't shoot the iron sights worth a crap anymore. My eyes have just gotten a little to nearsighted for that I guess. It's a good albeit uncommon caliber. Does an amazing amount of tissue damage to whitetails for such a small bullet.
I'm sure you could find a 6mm on Gunbroker or something.

Jason

Full-choke

The Savage 116 FSAK/FHSAK are good rifles. I know that they make them in 300 Win Mag w/ heavy barrels. They are a slick looking bolt action in my mind. I almost bought one but I couldn't really afford it, my buddy ended up with it and is pleased. The only thing with the 300 is the recoil, my buddy said it scared the crap out of him the first time he fired it.

I would also look at the Remington SPS Varmint rifles. I haven't ever shot or owned one, but I have been hearing some great reviews. The guy at my local gun shop said a guy bought one, boresighted a Simmons variable on it and drilled the target with 1" MOA out of the box. Of course, Savage has been getting those same results a lot more often I hear. I would stick to something between Rem and Savage, both are extremely good in my mind.

Scorch

I still haven't made my mind up about the .204, but the CZs look really nice and shoot well, and that one looks very very nice. Since I am apparently still living in the past (read this as "I like US-made guns"), I would get a Ruger or a Remington. Either can be had for around the $$ you're looking for.