Wanting a Bolt rifle

JesusQueen

So I've been shopping around for a bolt action rifle for a few months now. I dont own any bolt guns and want to buy right the first time.

This is what I know.. I want a 308, minimum 22 inch barrel with 26 preferred. No wood stocks, prefer the black with stainless barrel look. Id like it to be sub-moa for sure.

My problem is every time I think Ive made up my mind i see something else and cant settle. Ive look at the CZ 550, Tikka T3, Savage Precision 12, and all the 700 variants.

ATM I think I like to 700 HB Police.

So, whats a great rifle for under $1K?
And also can a 700 be slapped together like an AR if I wanted?

EDIT: I dont reload and dont have the time so the accuracy wants should be with federal gold medal. thanks

If you want out of the box accuracy, coupled with an awesome trigger then go for the Savage Model 12. Mine shoots sub MOA and I haven't done a thing to it except for change the stock to a more comfortable one...

Remington's can be iffy on out of the box accuracy. Most will need a trigger job or a replacement trigger to get the pull weight down to an acceptable level for a benchrest gun. If the OTB accuracy is not good, then you're looking at spending money to have it truly free floated and pillar bedded.

Rob96

Last November I was in the market for the same thing. I bought the 700 ADL Varmint in 308 at Dick's for $419. Even with the factory synthetic stock I get .59 moa. Haven't even messed with the X-Mark Pto trigger.

Rimfire5

I bought a Savage 10 FP in August for $700.
It has averaged 0.7 inches for over 200 groups of hand loaded ammo.

My shooting buddy bought a 10 FPC from Dick's sporting goods two weeks later after shooting mine. He got his on sale with a scope for under $ 650.
His also has averaged just under 0.8 inches with factory ammo.

Both shoot sweet and their accutriggers are great. Just over 2 lbs from the factory.

I'm going to buy a .223 to match it.

Go with a Savage - low price and they are out of the box accurate.

Groundhog34

It is hard to beat a Savage with Accuttriger for the price. weatherby Vanguard sub MOA are also a good choice. Plan on spending as much for a scope as for the rifle. Remember that all scopes are clear with full light quality comes out at dusk.

Rattlehead

I've got an incredibly accurate Tikka T3 that matches the specs you listed almost exactly (mine's 30-06). They can usually be had for $600 +/- 50 depending on who's selling it, leaving plenty of cash for optics if your limit is $1k.

My two cents...

DAVID NANCARROW

I would recommend you check out some gun shops, take a look and more importantly, the feel of the weapon before you buy. The brand name doesnt mean much if it dont fit ya. I have a Rem 700 VS, because it has the 26 inch barrel and the mattel stock, it fits ME, and the trigger on the 700 is easily adjusted. Your call, but let us know what ya buy....pics are very welcomed too lol

Palmetto-Pride

I shot this 5 shot group yesterday with a Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 with Hornady 168gr A-Max Match I got the rifle from Dicks for 499.99 on sale about a year ago.

d3f1ea4c.jpg

So, why are you hung up on a long (26 inch) barrel?

Do you think you will get a more complete powder burn? (you will)

Or more velocity? (you will)

Or it will carry better? (it won't)

Or What?

Also, what are you going to do with it _
hunt? (what game animals, at what ranges?
punch small clusters of holes in paper?
benchrest competition?
long range competition?
or what?

handlerer2

Slapped together like an AR? I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. After rereading your thread I'm not you do either. You want a bolt action rifle in 308, sub-moa that can slapped together like an AR?

Do you want to hunt or learn to shoot for accuracy? If you want consistent accuracy then you likely don't want a 26" barrel in a 308. Ever seen a real benchrest rifle? Almost all that I've seen had 20" barrels. In a given contour a short barrel is generally more accurate. The twist causes torque, and flex observed in barrel harmonics. the principle is the same as the revolving bicycle wheel, the axel is turning at the same RPM, but the tire is covering much more area than the axel. A longer barrel can be more desireable for long range shooting, where you need to get every fps out your rifle, but for normal shooting range distances, a 22" will be more accurate than a 26" of the same contour.

If your are serious about shooting or even if you just want a Tacticool toy, you have to know about and practice safety, if you want to be accepted at any range I have ever been to. Good luck and BE CAREFUL!

By slapped together do you mean simple cartridge change. An Ar is a modular design the allows for simple exchange of uppers to different cartridge with the same base dimensions and similar case lengths. A model 700 isn't as easy to switch. Most shooters would rely on a gunsmith for a barrel swap, as it requires special tools, and training. There are some quick switch bolt rifles, but all that I have ever heard of like the Dakota Traveler are way more than $1000.

Last edited:

JesusQueen

My impressions were that the 26inch barrel would be more accurate. I pretty much want the rifle to punch paper but maybe go hunting(deer) with a buddy.

By slapped together I meant can parts of my choice be bought separately and make a great rifle. Stock, trigger, receiver, etc.

Thanks for the responses so far!

bglimpse

Almost any Remington 700 will do the job, what do you plan to do with the rifle? Hunt, punch paper etc?

ETA - read further down and saw your response. Buy a Rem 700 SPS Tactical, the 20" barrel will not be any less accurate than the 26". You can get to 1000yds with the 20" barrel.

JerryM

For what purpose are you buying the rifle?
If hunting what game and what type of terrain?

Although I have a Rem 700 and a Rem 660, considering the recent unsafe triggers of the Rem, I would not purchase one now. I would have to be satisfied that Rem has made changes that insure the rifle would not fire unless the trigger was pulled. I don't have that confidence at this point in time.

Regards,
Jerry

machrism

First. I am no expert but about a year ago. I bought a Savage .300 Mag used with less than one box of ammo through it with a cheap scope. Before I even fine tuned the scope at all. I was hitting targets 300 meters away all day long. I love my Savage and they are known for their accuracy. BTW. Mine retails for about $400 new. Go with the Savage and have plenty of $$$ left over for a kick ass scope. Just my 2 cents.

sserdlihc

IMO, Remington, Ruger, Browning, Savage, CZ, etc will give you what you want. Some more some less.

Winchester model 70 would be a great choice. I don't personally own one, but after shooting a friends, I wish I did.

I remember a while back seeing an Sako Model 85 stainless/composite at Bass Pro for $699. I own a model 75 Sako stainless /walnut and it is extremely accurate. The action on the model 85 was very very smooth like my model 75. Feels as if it was on ball bearings.

If I was having to sell my firearms, my Sako would be the last own I would sell.