Wanted to introduce new site for silencers

HKP7PSP

The first test was .22lr pistol cans. 5.56mm and 9mm will be up in 10 days or so. Check it out. Register for the forum. Thanks.

www.silencertests.com

AR47can-600.jpg

Blue Heeler

Silencers legal? One member told me recently that it was a Federal Offense to have them (Tamara I think). Anyone caught using them would be nutted and hung upside-down in a drain for forty years.

HKP7PSP

They are legal under federal law but some states banned them (MA, CA, IL and some others). In most of the states which banned them, licensed manufactuers can have them. VT is an exception where no one but police can have them.

In states where you can have them, you need to file a form with fingerprints and photographs and pay a one-time $200 tax. You must also get a police-chief to sign the paperwork or if you own a corporation, you can sign yourself and skip the fingerprints and photos. After a backgrund check, you can pick it up.

Shooting with hearing protection on is like wearing a raincoat on a sunny day. Imagine how nice it is to shoot with friends and talk -- and I don't mean through the amplifiers on the new headphones.

RWK

. . . and, by the way, I believe the appropriate term is "suppressor", not "silencer".

HKP7PSP

Some people call it a 'suppressor' because they don't make the gunshot silent. I call it a 'silencer' because Hirim Maxim is the inventor and named it that. There is nothing wrong with calling them 'silencers' any more than calling a 'moving staircase' an 'Escalator.'

It is in fashion for people with mid-level knowledge to think less of people who call them silencers, but I am purposely resisting that because it is the name on the patent.

Terry Twit

The general ignorance level about suppressors and the legal issues around them is staggering.

The only problem with your methodology is that since it doesn't correspond to established standards, your data is not comparable to anyone else's....so it's sort of moot.

Blue Heeler

In New Zealand it is legal to have a 'suppressor' but not a 'silencer' - Mind you, they are a bit mad down there and expert fence-sitters on everything.

FirstFreedom

Erm, dumb question, but couldn't the same silencer be used on both a .22 pistol and a 5.56 rifle, provided the bbl thickness and threading type are the same?

Terry Twit

You can use a 5.56 suppressor on a .22, but they are typically louder than a purpose-designed .22 suppressor...also you introduce fouling into the can that the 5.56 may not react well to when you switch back.

brickeyee

Even with a suppressor/silencer the noise levels in the link are >117 dB. Still more than enough to cause long term hearing damage.