Wanted! Lyman Spartan OEM Primer Feeder

Gav-n-Tn

I just bought a NOS (in the box) Lyman Spartan single stage press. Shot in the dark: Does anyone out there have a primer feed attachment for this press they’d want to sell? I’m thinking about setting it up for dedicated decapping and priming. I don’t think it’s the same as what the Spartan-T turret would use. I know it’s a little stretch but, I saw a thread somewhere where someone else posed the same question and someone actually had an NOS one.

44 AMP

Staff
Wow, blast from the past, for me, anyway. :D

had those, about 40 years ago, might still have some parts, but I have no idea where, haven't seen them in decades, sorry.

best I can recall, the one for the Spartan fastened to the press frame, and the one for the Spar-T mounted on the primer arm. I believe the Spar-T one would work on the Spartan.

If you get a set, check the O-rings on the primer tubes and that the cotter pins are there, too.

One thing I do remember, work it by hand, if you let the primer arm snap back, it can misfeed, fail to feed, or even have the primer bounce out of the cup. Small primers, especially.

Good Luck!

Gav-n-Tn

Yes. I’m hoping to find a complete primer feeder setup with the pins, etc etc. The picture in the instructions appears to show it mounted in the slot in front of the die bushing. This Spartan still has all the small parts sealed in the bag along with the instructions and warranty card. The shipping label is dated 1981 and shipped to a shop in Red Bank, TN. Not a smidgeon of surface rust. Like a time capsule. I probably overpaid for it but……

Marco Califo

I don't trust what others say, which may or may not be correct or applicable. It wont take more than 3 minutes to complete that form.

Last edited:

Gav-n-Tn

I might be on to something. If you have the box for the primer feed that came with your Spartan, you’ll notice that it lists a few different presses that it fits. One of them is the RCBS JR. I’m wondering if it might be easier to search that one out and I found one that looks pretty darn close to the Spartan one. It’s RCBS part #9580. I might just take a $35 chance on that one.