Wanted Good Gunsmith!

taylorce1

I'm a little disappointed in the local guy that I was recommended to as he can't seem to complete my rifle in less than one years time. I'm not complaining about the quality of his work or the rifle, but I just didn't expect it to be this long of a wait. I'm almost ready to move on to a new project and was thinking I'd see if anyone out here on the forum would like my business.

What I have is a M70 push feed barreled action chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. In recent trades I have acquired a A&B barrel blank in .375 Caliber 1:12 twist rate 26" long. I want to build a .375 Ruger on this action in a "Heavy Magnum" contour with around 24" barrel and blueprinted action. I'd like a rear adjustable and hooded front sights installed on the barrel as well. I don't need the stock refinished as I will do that myself, but I would like the action glass and pillar bedded with the new barrel floated. As this obviously isn't a stainless action and barrel, I would like the finish to be a very rust resistant matte finish. I'm pretty open to all suggestions except on the action and barrel I'll be using.

I would like to have the rifle ready to do load development in about 4 months +/- a couple of weeks from the date the action, barrel blank, and stock is received. I would like to use this rifle on elk this fall. If this doesn't sound too unreasonable to someone on this forum please PM me with a price quote, email, and phone number.

Thanks in advance.

Hawg

Very good, quality gunsmiths are always backed up. I've waited years to get work done but it was definitly worth the wait. Either suck it up and plan on using the gun next year.......maybe or find somebody that can do it quicker but probably not as good.

taylorce1

I defiantly understand about the not guarantee and quote delivery time, but when I dropped off my last project I'm still waiting on I was asked how soon I wanted the rifle. I told him I was hoping to have it in 6-8 months and he said that he could do my rifle in that time frame. 16 months later and still no rifle, I have one of his rifles already and like the work he does but I'm still frustrated.

I gave him the action and Mauser pre-inlet stock, the barrel I chose was backordered for a few months but he has all the parts now and I don't see what is taking so long to finish this rifle. I'm letting it be known that
I'm frustrated as well with his progress, without being too much of an ahole. I don't want him just to slap the rifle together just to get me out of his hair.

That is why I'm looking for someone who do a quick turn around as I basically have all the parts needed to do the job. In fact I can do all the stock work myself I just don't want to tackle the barrel job even though I have access to most of the tools and knowledge to do it myself. I'm just being lazy and I don't want to rent or buy the reamers.

I've found guys on GB and AA that will do a quick turnaround barrel job for around $150-200 for the guys that already have the reamers; they will true the action, lap the lugs, and true the receiver face as well. I've even got a few quotes from them already and I'll probably use one of them for the re-barrel. I just thought I'd see if there are any people out there on the forum who are starting out gunsmithing and would like to tackle my project. I can add the sights later and the finish isn't a problem either as I have a local guy I've used before that takes about a week once I drop the pieces off.

Thanks for the offer Ken, and if I ever find a job up there I'll be stopping buy for one of your Copilot's. You sold me the action for the rifle I'm still waiting on to be finished.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
I will probably be run out of town on a rail by the guntinkerers association, but I will tell you a couple of dirty little secrets.

Assuming that you are supplying the parts or they are readily available, tell the gunsmith that money is no real object, but get a reasonable estimate. Then tell him you need the work done in, say, three weeks. He will likely balk, but he may tell you four weeks or six weeks. Reluctantly agree, but get the cost estimate and an estimated delivery date in writing on the work order, and get a copy of the work order. Ideally, you should have a properly drawn contract, and many gunsmiths will insist on it, but some don't like to work that formally. Unfortunately the "scribble on the back of an envelope" guys often do the best work.

DON'T tell him there is no hurry, or that you won't want it for a while. He will read that as an OK to shove it aside every time some "little" jobs come along. He will also not be concerned about money, as you have nearly guaranteed him he will be paid, no matter how long it takes. Another secret is that gunsmiths get quantity discounts. That means that some smiths wait until they have enough orders to reach the $500 or whatever amount the supplier requires for that extra 15% discount or free shipping. If that takes a month or two, so what? The customer said there was no hurry.

So you get a fair price agreed on, so he doesn't have to worry about that discount, you get a good, agreed on, estimated time. Don't pay in advance (though a deposit is reasonable if expensive parts need to be ordered), but make it clear that there will be a lot of problems with payment if you don't have the rifle for that big trip to Africa, or Alaska, or wherever.

Oh, and know what you want and make sure he knows what you want, and make sure you don't change orders in mid-job. Once he has your work in hand, LET HIM ALONE. Every call from you when you change your mind, every nit-pick call to "see how it's coming", every desire to chat, costs YOU time and money. The gunsmith can't set up a lathe and chat with you at the same time. (Maybe some can, but I don't know any!) STAY OFF THE PHONE, DON'T DROP IN.

Jim

Wildalaska

Not that simple Jim but hey, your entitled to your opinion.:D

If I could have the boys turn around rebarrel and bed jobs in 3 weeks my new screen name would be Jahweh.....:p

No matter what, something screws it up....

WildliketodaythecoolantpumpstoppedworkingAlaska TM

taylorce1

Jim,

Thanks for the advice and I've been doing most of what you said. I've made a few mistakes as this is my first build that, but I've never deviated on the components of the build. This rifle will be a .25-06 with a #5 contour 26" Lija stainless barrel, built on a Zastava action with double set triggers, and nice Carlo Walnut rollover style stock all finished in a matte black Dura Cote finish.

I waited the full six months before I ever contacted my smith again. I wanted to talk to him about ordering a Swarovski 2.5-10 AV scope that I was interested in putting on this rifle, as I was hoping it was nearing completion. That is when I found out he hadn't even received the barrel for my rifle yet. I have poked my head in the door about 4-5 times in the last 8 months and I finally have a barreled action, but no complete rifle.

I do have a receipt for the parts and the deposit I put down on this build and his estimated delivery date of 6-8 months dated 19 Oct 2006. I was hoping to have this rifle for last pronghorn season, but at the rate he is going I probably will not have it by the next. :(