wanted: dovetailed, BIG brass bead front sight

bamaranger

I am wanting to modify the factory sights on a Rem 870 slug barrel to a sort of "express sight" configuration. I have several spare rear sight blades and can work the rear into the shape I want, basically opening up the notch and lowering or "V-ing out" the wings.

What I cannot find is a dovetailed front sight with a BIG brass bead, say something in the diameter of 0.15" or so. (a BB at .177 is about the dia I am looking for). Something akin to the XS 24-7 express big dot, but no tritium and a lot cheaper. No fiber optics, as I do not think they are rugged enough.

This is for my turkey shotgun. I noticed this year that I cannot bring the factory front into proper focus with my 55+ eyes! Yes, I should see the doc. No, I do not want an electric red dot or conventional scope yet.

The standard sources, Marbles, Williams, Skinner, etc no longer seem to offer a BIG bead. I know I have seen such a thing on "brush rifles" in my youth.

Any ideas?????

bamaranger

OK

So, no ideas.

Well then, I will approach a local 'smith to make one, using some grass rod stock and a factory front, and let you know how it goes.

g.willikers

How about the base, with a small indent provided by a drill bit, and solder or braze a bb on top?
Shouldn't be hard to do.
BBs come in larger sizes, too.

mete

A number of ways - I have some small brass rivets just right . Drill sight and insert rivet. That's the easiest way.
BTW I have made , all by hand front and rear sights.take a chunk of metal and a file ......:D