Wanted: A Good Sporting Clays gun a decent price!!!!

dw

Hey guys i have a bit of a problem. My dad and i are beginning to shoot more and more sporting clays and he wants to buy a good sporting clays gun. He was looking at some O/U. THe only problem was he wanted a stoeger. I told him about what my research through this site has shown and i dont' think he is leaning that way anymore. The problem with the more expensive O/U's is that my dad is a tight wad and there is no way he will spend that kind of money. Another problem is that he has trouble using a pump on the courses because he has a tendecy to short pump his gun and it is always jamming. So i present to you the question to which there may be no solution. What is a decent priced sporting clays gun, that i can convince my dad to buy?? Also, i have been checking all local dealers looking for that used gun that would be perfect. So anyway thanks in advance for the help.
dw

Hawkaaa53

1st Sporting Clays Gun

Any "fixed" action gun is gonna pass more recoil to the shooter than a gas loader from a reasonable manufacturer .

One significant concern is reloading ; O/Us , especially when
used with 1 1/8 -1200 fps(nominal 3 dram) loads , can be tough , but you don't have to chase empties .

Some gas auto-loaders can eliminate the felt recoil to the point that recoil becomes a non-issue . You just have to be willing to pick-up empties.

O/Us give a choice of chokes but most recreational course presentations will be within IC range .

If you don't already have one , a Rem 1100 especially a decent used one , is not expensive and can usually be sold for its purchase price IF wisely bought .

Sure , you could get a Beretta or a Browning - - - BUT , you could also get a Winchester Super X-1 and never have to buy another gun .

Hawkaaa53

dw

well dick's has teh stoeger on sale for 299 but i can get him to spend more than that. The only thing i have to do is justify the gun to him. It multiple uses i have and i am still trying to convince him to look at a semi auto shotgun but he is stubborn. But i will try again and again to convince him of what is best.
thanks
dw

rugerfreak

Let's see:

Wally's has Charles Daly autoloaders for $299---and Beretta 390's syn/stock for $520 or maybe $530(which I'm still thinking about getting one).

Baikal SxS's can be had for $300 or so----if you can find one.

You might be able to find a Remington 1100 syn/stock for $400 and change.

I'm still trying to see if I can remember any more...................

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Life's full of hard choices, but this isn't one.

Simple, go for cheap or go for good. There's no cheap, good O/Us and scant semi's.

Good O/Us cost a bundle because it takes more fitting and precision work to get the bbls hitting where they're supposed to.

And even Browning/Beretta occasionally have one that shoots to two different Zip Codes.

If cost is a factor, go with a used Semi, an 1100 or one of the Beretta 300 series, 303,390,391. These all last nigh forever, have lots of choke tubes and accessories, and parts are available and will be.

HTH....

BAD_KARMA

I looked at 4 EAA Biakal over and unders yesterday. For the money they are great deals. Eaa has done a great job of refining the Biakal shotguns. The ones I looked at were well made, hand checked and had choke tubes. The place I saw these at wanted 399. CDNN has them for 300 +- so if you can find a FFL to transfer it they make a real bargin. In fact I am going to order one of the autoloaders and give it a workout. Do a search on the Biakals most people who had problems with them had the first imports when they were rough. Also you can turn the ejectors off if you just want extractors by turning a screw. Also EAA will return emails within a day if you have questions so they seem like a customer friendly company.

here is the website to check them out

www.eaacorp.com

kehrby

Hey dw, I don't mean to be a smarta$$ or anything but if you were my kid I would say this. I am willing to spend a little bit more on the gun if you will pitch in too. How about a part time job or some extra yard work. Something like that. I bet that would put a smile on the old mans face.:)

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hey Kehrby, I actually did that with my Dad. He always thought his M1 Garand was a $200 rifle. It was nice to have the cash to make that happen.

Giz

Hawkaaa53

Over My Head

kehrby/Gizmo99 ,

Did I miss something ?

Is it possible that dw , a Senior Member , is beyond the part-time job / yard work ( for pay) stage of his life ? Hawkaaa53

dw

Believe me i would love to help him out. But it isn't that he is hurting for money. I am past the part time stage in my life but i have just graduated college and haven't exactly found the highest paying job. Like i said it isn't that he can't afford it. It is hard for him to justify such a purchase. I almost had him talked in to a browning semi auto until he saw the price it would cost for an extra barrel. He then asked me to see what you guys thought would be a good gun for the money. I appreciate all the help on this one. Good news is i may have sold him on the beretta's 390's. I guess we will see.
thanks again
dw

kehrby

Sorry dw, It just struck me that you may be , like high school age from the sound of the post. My mistake. Hey, I'll throw my vote in for a
Ruger Red Label Sporting clays model!

kehrby

Hawkaaa53

"A" GUN

DW ,

From your threads ,I get an impression of your father . Tell him there's an old fart in South Alabama whom he should talk with.

I don't think any exchange will hurt , and , there's a chance it might help.

I suspect that your Dad has been fed so much hog-wash that he
need to see some results . BRAVO ! He should be commended .

If an idea won't stand in open light --- can't be worth much . Hawkaaa53

PJR

If you are focused only on price, the gun I'd suggest is a Lanber. These are over/unders made in Spain and while they are not that common on this side of the Atlantic they are among the most popular over/unders in England. I've shot them and they are a definite step ahead of Stoegers, Baikals and the like. Second choice would be a Red Label but only because Ruger has a good reputation of fixing them promptly if there is a problem. I don't care for the way they handle but some people like them.

Ultimately I'd focus on a quality over/under like a Beretta or Browning because they will retain value should you decide to sell the gun at some later date (a common practice among clay shooters). These are the proven names in clay shooting.

The best value at the lowest price though would be a Beretta semi auto.

dw

Well you guys may be happy to know i think we have come to a decision. I told him that i would buy a beretta al 391 urika and let him use it whenever he needs to (which he already knew anyway) I wanted the gun for waterfowl and upland birds and he can use it to shoot sporting clays. You guys made me feel like i needed to do something to help out the situation so i sold my collection of fishing lures in order to fund this new purchase. My dad is still hesistant but i think he will like the gun. thanks for all the help
dw

mrt10x

I have heard good things about the Verona O/U's. I nearly bought one but couldnt find the justification I needed for another O/U. Other discussion boards have spoken highly of them