Want to see somthing Neat?

TATER

This is a spin off from the meltdown post.

Its a ShadoGraph Monitions Scale.
Easy to read but weighs in at about 40 lbs. 18" long..

Shadow3.jpg

Shadow2.jpg

Shadow1.jpg

Salmoneye

And then I need my Hewlett Packard, Reverse Polish Notation engineering calculator to convert grams to grains...

:D

JK...That really is a kool piece of hardware...

TATER

After the restoration, Because it is a True balance, I am thinking that I can Back the lens off to
Create greater magnification. At that point, Recreate the exact graphics with divisions in GRAINS
and silk screen a new plate. I am also think'en that If I use an LED to replace the lightbulb I should
get a crisper shadow. Heck, it's just another project to tinker with and probably never finish.:)

TATER

Mike,
You place a predetermined weight at the rear and close the top.
The exact weight is determined when it zeros out. And, you have the Over/Under hash marks.
I have seen Two others that were grain sensitive, I'm guessing this one was for heaver monitions as its in Grams. :confused:

Mal H

Staff
That is cool, indeed. It's a comparator scale, but not necessarily only for munitions (not "monitions"). As you can see it was owned by Goodyear, although the US Gov bought a bunch of them during WWII and probably did use them for munitions analysis.

Toledo has always been a big innovator in scales and balances.

Sport45

That is indeed neat!

I'd clean it up and leave it as it is. It has enough sensitivity to weigh bullets and such, but not so much for weighing powder. The scale graduations are 0.1 gram (~1.5grains). Trying to get better than +/-0.3 grains may be an exercise in futility and changing things will ruin any collector value it has.