Want To Hunt Dino's or ?????Here Is Chance!!!!

beemerb

Professor Ronald L. Mallett, professor of physics at the University of
Connecticut, says he has found the secret to travelling back and forward in
time, and many colleagues are taking him seriously.

He says he has the mathematics to back up his theory and hopes in the next
10 years to send subatomic particles back in time, and then, eventually, to
transport humans.

It's based on Einstein's general theory of relativity that says gravity is
the curvature of space-time. This is why strong gravitational fields can
bend light and slow down clocks [all clocks, equally, whether they be
mechanical, chemical, atomic, biological, whatever]. You age slower as the
gravitational field you are near becomes stronger.

So if one sends a laser beam into a circle then a gravitational field is
created which therefore bends space. Anything put into the middle of the
light loop is dragged around by the gravitational force. So having two
laser lights going in opposite directions, and controlling the intensity of
the light or slowing it down (using work done at Harvard University and
Harvard-Smithsonian labs recently), the gravitational field intensifies.
Get the gravitational field up high enough and time becomes space. And if
time becomes space, then moving in space is equivalent to moving in time,
forward or backward. It's just a cakewalk back to the 50s or into the next
decade.

Hartford Courant 23-Jul-01
<http://www.ctnow.com/scripts/editorial.dll?bfromind=1248&eeid=4954446&eetyp
e=article&render=y&ck=&userid=1&userpw=.&uh=1,0,&ver=3.0>

Libertarian

Okay, I give you time travel, but how about the millions of miles travelled by the solar sytem in the interval? If you were to step back even one year, you would not land on earth but in a spot in space were earth will be in one year.

Mal H

Staff
Well, of course, that's it! Everyone knew that it was possible. But I didn't realize it was such a simple thing to do!!

"if one sends a laser beam into a circle..."
Say, does anyone know how to do this? I want to give it a try. (In the absence of an already existing huge grav field, that is.)

USP45

Libertarian,

If you give me time travel, then it will be a "cake walk" to reverse time of everything... not just me. ;)

Mal,

So if one sends a laser beam into a circle then a gravitational field is created which therefore bends space.

IOW... if you use a gravitational field to bend space, a laser beam can be made to follow a circle.

The link doesn't work, is there any more on this?

~USP

beemerb

USP 45;
Sorry that is all I have.The link is the one with the aticle and didn't know it wouldn't work.Still neat I think.

Mal H

Staff
But USP45, that's my point. You need a large gravitational field to bend space and hence bend a light beam. The article says you first bend the light beam which in turn creates the large gravitational field. It's a catch-22.

In reality, a grav field doesn't bend a light beam. The beam is taking what appears to be a straight line path to it (if you could travel along with the beam). Also the amount of mass required to bend a light beam in a circle small enough to even fit in the solar system would be universally large, in the strictest sense of the word. If the experiment actually worked, the grav field developed would literally create a black hole to end all black holes.

I must also say that this topic, title not withstanding, really isn't on topic for TFL. Please don't be too surprised or upset if it gets closed soon.

Libertarian

Can't you just imagine the velosity and momentum that even a .22CB would gain falling down that gravity well? If we could just harass a tame blackhole to slingshot our bullets around, any projectile could take out the biggest game.

croyance

As an object moves closer to this intense gravitational well, the difference in field intensity will tear the object apart.

This seems to violate laws of thermodynamics. A gravity field bends space enough to change to path of photons into a circle. Doing so intensifies the pull of gravity. This probably changes the path of the photons to a circle of smaller diameter, increasing the strength of the gravitational field. So this black hole would grow to infinite strength.

Of course this would give a definitive answer to how the universe will end. Who wants to worry about the entropy of the universe? This gives a definite conclusion.

Mal H

Staff
Aww, now that's not fair! You're trying to turn this into a real firearms topic, aren't you? ;)

That imaginary .22 CB would, in fact, be torn in many pieces by the tidal effects on it as it approached the blackhole. And you really shouldn't go around harassing any tame blackholes, it only serves to get them PO'ed. And when a blackhole gets PO'ed, nobody survives. (You probably meant harness?)

Apple a Day

The only place you would have light going in a circle naturally would be at the event horizon of a black hole, where the gargantuan gravity has warped space to the point that you would have to be going faster than light to escape the hole. Light is caught in orbit at that distance. If you could peek in at that point then you could see the back of your head since the reflected light would circle the hole and enter your eyes. Hence the name black {even light can't escape) hole (proverbial discontinual point on the graph of the spacetime comtinuum). BUT

You can't run llight around in a circle and create gravity.

If you were to shoot a bullet [here's the gun connection:cool: ] into orbit around a black hole then the closer to it you were, the faster the bullet would have to travel to stay in orbit. The faster something goes its relative time to our frame of reference would go slower and slower until, as it approached the speed of light, its time flux compared to ours would approach zero... in other words; time on the outside would stand still. According to Hawking, however, with some evidence, black holes can "evaporate" due to random annihilation/energy condensation... some of which falls in and cancels out some of the singularitie's mass in matter/antimatter reactions.
In reality, no one has any idea what would happen if you went "deeper" into the hole than the event horizon. If there is anything fast enough to keep itself in orbit closer than that to keep from crashing into the singularity then, by definition, it would have to be traveling faster than light. If you follow one line of linear thought then logically it would also have to be going backwards in time since, if you approach the speed of light from the slower end, time slows down.

The HUGE problem with that is that space and time don't behave linearly at regimes of extreme pressure, velocity, or low temperatures. We have no geometry for the infinite so we have no mathematical way to predict what will happen. The rules of physics and mathematics break down. 1+1=10000000000

Mal H has the right idea: you can't just run light around a fiber optic cable and get the same effect. Running light around in a circle doesn't create gravity.

An interesting thought is that if a black hole is rotating then if it is going fast enough then it may exist as a ring, rather then a single point. If that were true then you would have an axis going through the hole of the doughnut which would be a gravitational "dead zone". If you could manage to stay perfectly balanced and travel that straight line then you might be able to pull off some interesting tricks. You could shoot a perfectly aimed bullet through the center of a black hole. Of course, itwould have to be extremely skinny to do so. Otherwise the gravity would pull it apart in all directions. You MIGHT be able to use it to slingshot you faster than light, though. Who knows?

This is the kind of thing we used to sit around in college [well, all the physics and engineering people] and argue about while our experiments ran. One of the many problems with accelerating through the speed of light would be that the instant you exceeded the speed of light and went back into time you would "run into" yourself. Your mass would exist in two times at the same place. As a result you might cause yourself to commit nuclear fusion. KABOOM!!!;) That would also keep you from exceeding the speed of light in the first place, creating a paradox. :(
Also, at that speed you could travel anywhere and everywhere instantaneously... of course, you would also RUN INTO everything at once, too. KABOOM!!!
Dear God, I need sleep.

PATH

I think I'll go mambo dog face in the banana patch! Does it make much sense? No? Well, I can't understand the physics of all this.
Let me go back a few seconds and correct all this. Wait I'll be out of sync with space. Wasn't this a script for the Outer Limits. The original and not the current on the Sci-F?i:confused:

Never mind hunting dinos (heck, we had dino targets at the archery range once ;) ) Take the stock page back along with plenty of cash. Invest heavily and don't forget, splurge on the guns we can't own today. Hey, I think I'll invent the micro-processor, partner up with Hewett-Packard, invent the Glock (which will be called the Gary), shake hands with Hathcock and spend a lot of time chewing the fat with Gale McMillan.

rock_jock

I really find that I don't have enough time in my day. Since space and time are interchangeable, can I just exchange a few cubic feet of space in, say California or Wash D.C., for an extra hour?

Warm Bore

Sorry Gary,

Taking the stock page back would get you in trouble with the TimeCop! ;) The penalty for interfering with our own timeline is, of course, death!

Regards,

Warm Bore

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
Just send me back to march 29, 1981, so I can clip John Hinckley a good one behind the ear.

Without a crippled Jim Brady to parade around, Sarah Brady and HCI would probably not be as powerful as they are.

LawDog

justinr1

>>Just send me back to march 29, 1981, so I can clip John
>>Hinckley a good one behind the ear.

>>Without a crippled Jim Brady to parade around, Sarah Brady
>>and HCI would probably not be as powerful as they are.

Excellent LawDog

justinr1

Libertarian

Mal H, You're right. Sometimes I type faster than I think. (Hey Admins! Can we have a smell checker on this board? My spelling stinks!)

The idea of accelerating a bullet around a blackhole would no more tear it apart than Voyager was torn apart when it used Jupiter's gravity well to accelerate it on towards Saturn. I was thinking more along the lines of skiming the rim of the gravity well rather than than firing a single point, non-mass through a black donut.

scud

Send me back to 1760, I got some business to take care of w/ Mayer Amschel Bauer.

see ya fed reserve.