Want to have my AR assembled and headspaced

xtr

I have all of the parts and now I want to find a good gun smith who will do this at a decent price. I live in MA. Anyone know a good AR guy close by?

NSO_w/_SIG

I know this is not what you asked but, I would get the few tools required and assemble it myself, I was intimated at one time to do it too, but now that I've done a few taking the "risk" was well worth it. All the information to do it is readily available on the web.

xtr

i assembled the whole lower myself no problem. I just figured for the price of the tools, I could have it done by someone with experience.

TRguy

No headspacing in an AR, the gas system only lines up one way. Makes it simple. Either goes together and works or it doesn't.

Headspace is set in the design of the assembly.

Headspace on the AR is set when the barrel extension is attached to the barrel (i.e. before the retail customer sees the barrel). So assuming the factory set headspace correctly and you are using an in-spec bolt, there is no need to worry about headspace. As a practical matter, every once in awhile, stuff that should be in spec isn't, so a set of headspace gauges to verify that is nice to have.

The only other issue with headspace in ARs may occur when you start swapping bolts between well-worn ARs. In theory, you can create excessive headspace by doing this. In practice, I've seen one case of excessive headspace in 20 years and it was from an improperly set barrel extension on a new barrel.

Last edited:

Bosshoff

Adco did mine, and did an awesome job. I did this about six months ago when parts were pricey and scarce. My AR is built is with sortof top shelf parts, not a beater parts gun. I would have bought the tools to do it myself, if I had cheaper parts.

Sport45

I just figured for the price of the tools, I could have it done by someone with experience.

But if you get the tools you can think of the second one you assemble as free. AR's are like Lays potato chips. You can't stop at just one!

xtr

Adco did mine, and did an awesome job. I did this about six months ago when parts were pricey and scarce. My AR is built is with sortof top shelf parts, not a beater parts gun. I would have bought the tools to do it myself, if I had cheaper parts.

Same story here. I spent way more than I planned. i am over $1500 involved as far as parts and really want to just pay the extra 100 bucks to have it assembled. I understand it is easy to assemble. I am a mechanical engineer so I am sure I could pull it off, but I would just feel better passing it off to a gun smith. Also, as far as head spacing, I have heard horror stories of what happens when you get the tolerance stack up in the wrong direction. All parts may be in spec, but in spec just means they fall in their tolerance. Get too many tolerances going the wrong way and you could run into trouble. Just my take on it.