Want to get Glock slide blasted...

MagicMan

Who should I use to blast my Glock's slide for that stainless look?

I emailed Burwell a while back & never got a reply.

oldcspsarge

Not a good idea...it will rust pretty fast...I have seen it...not pretty !

Better to have it finished like in bearcoat www.bearcoat.com

Protects metal and provides lubricity in a stainless or titanium color.

Other consideration is to hard chrome it

Alleykat

As long as you don't penetrate the few microns' depth of the Tenifer treatment, you're not going to be harming the rust-preventative properties of your Glock.

I don't know what kind of blasting media could be appropriately used, but I do know that people remove the black finish by polishing, using Scotchbrite pads, etc.

CraigC

I definitely would not leave raw steel unprotected. Have it hard chromed. It's relatively inexpensive and more corrosion resistant than stainless.

Carbon_15

I had my LEO trade in Glock 22 blasted and it looks GREAT. It has a titanium color...similar to Robar's NP3.
The Tenifer treatment goes deep enough into the steel that you can blast away the black finish and still have all the rust protection.

CraigC

Then what does it reveal? Tenifer is a surface hardening process, it's not a plating or a finish and it is not very deep. Aggressive abrasive blasting or polishing can cut right through it. I guess all these people having their slides plated are just wasting their money, huh? :rolleyes:

Alleykat

No, those people having their slides plated aren't wasting their money. Many of them actually are aware that the plating won't be as rust-resistant as the Tenifer. However, I'd just opine that 99.99999%, or somewhere close to that percentage, are having their pistols plated for aesthetic reasons.

I made the point previously that Tenifer is only a few microns deep; however, it also makes the steel surface extremely hard. I don't know how much blasting Tenifer can take before it's gone, but I do know that lots of people remove the black finish and the Tenifer protection is still there.

JohnKSa

Administrator
CraigC,

The black color on Glock metal is not the tenifer, it's a non-reflective, cosmetic overcoating. It can be removed without removing or damaging the tenifer.

MisterWilson

Someone on Glocktalk was polishing slides, barrels & other parts. It looked pretty sharp and I didn't hear much about rust...Might be worth looking into.

Like JohnKSA said, the black coating is just cosmetic and can be easily removed. If you have a compressor just go to Home Depot and buya cheap siphon feed sand blaster and then get a bag of pottery level medium and lightly blast the slide. It will leave a dull grey finish.

Dj Dust

DO NOT BLAST... You can Acheive A high Chrome shine and still preserve the tennifer protection.

I have worked with metals for 15 years. All you have to do is to buff it with a very fine rouge. It will remove the black but NOT THE PROTECTIVE FINISH. I did this to the Glock 30 I carry every day and I do not have any rust problems.

Blasting it digs into the metal too deep and you WILL GET RUST.

guypowell

I've got a second generation Glock 19 that I carried on-duty for 13 years. After about 9 of those years I got tired of dealing with that sticky, course, black oxide finish that the second generations came with so I took it down to the grey tennifer finish. It was fairly simple to do as all it took was some medium and fine grit steel wool, Flitz metal polish, and about 2 hours of rubbing. The end result was a brushed stainless look, and NO rust problems. I do keep a good coat of Eezox on it, but in the 4 years of constant carry it never had any problems.

ruger4d4

I took the black off of my M&P's barrel and polished it with jewlers rouge. I used plain white vinegar to get it off. It has been several months since I did it and no rust has showed up yet