• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Want to Claim a Long Dead username.

LonWilson

To the administrators:

I go by the name Glock in almost every online forum I post on. I tried to register as Glock, but the forum already had someone already registered it.

glock, as it was registered, signed up in 12/28/98, and only made one post on the same day, and never returned.

I'm requesting the abandoned username. It's quite clear that "glock" has left the forum permanently, so if you could please let me be Glock.... :)

Lord knows what I've started here.

Try this on for size and give me your thoughts:
I've always registered on forums as Rich Lucibella....know what? I never forgot my handle, or lost it to someone else.

Just a thought.
Rich

No, it's not a "no". It's a signal. I'm not about to start wholesale deleting other Members and their posts for personal convenience of others.

I'm willing to make concessions on an individual basis, but I need a compelling reason to delete someone else's work.
Rich

LonWilson

Hmm, compelling reason. *sigh* Okay, here goes. :)

1. I have used the name "Glock" since 1999 on several forums, including Voodoo Extreme, AvPNews.com forums, PlanetAvP forums, AvP Network forums, as well as GameGossip.com. I know these are gaming sites, but I'm very commonly known as "Glock" in those forums.

2. I only discovered the Firing Line about a week ago, and have been an active poster since then. Yes, I'm a newbie in the forum, but I've contributed much more to the forum talk than the other guy has. So far, I've posted 82 times. He's posted only once. Who's contributed more? Me or the other guy?

3. The other guy only posted once, over two years ago, and hasn't been back since. That's like abandoning an empty tent in the middle of a forest and two years later expecting it not to be gone.

4. It is typical of system administrators to delete completely inactive forum accounts after a certain amount of time to save server space, and to prevent the "AOLization" of user accounts (meaning that a person has to use convoluted name/number combos in order to get a user name). I'm not saying that server space management is a problem for TFL, but housecleaning usually is a good thing.

I can't possibly ask you to do something like this just because I ask, so you'll have to evaluate the situation and my reasonings for them. It's up to you. :)

LonWilson

I sincerely hope these are jokes. :D

Anyway, I'm just saying that the name is abandoned completely. After 3 whole years, he ain't coming back.

Lon-
They're just funnin'....me, not you.

The Seach is down, probably for a few more hours. I need to check the previous Member's post and history. Can't do it without Search. You make a compelling argument....but I'm not keen on setting a precedent of deleting others' posts to give someone else their handle....what would a fair definition be of "not imortant enough to keep"? Who would make the judgement calls?
Rich

Last edited:

LonWilson

Rich,

As an administrator of this forum, you have to make that determination based on your own judgement.

I can understand the dilemma you are under in this thing. I am also a forum administrator, so I can understand the implications of doing such a thing.

If the guy had made 100 posts or something, I wouldn't have asked. But since it's just 1 post, and a 3 year old post at that, it's a bit different.

yankytrash

lol....:D

I believe we'd refer to Rich as "the" administrator around here. When he gets the search back up, search his posts - you 'll see why I got a chuckle.;)

OOPS! Sorry, George. That's one of the "dead" user names that Rich transferred to me...

If you want it back, it's a fee of $29.95.

But, since you're a Mod and long-time board member, I'll cut you a special one-time deal. $30.00 :D

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Wow. How nice. But you see, since BT has filed for a patent on Hyperlinking, I've been inspired to file for a patent on that specific misspelling of "Kodiak".

#1883D013508b.

So, you can just put the wookie alias down and step back.
;) :p

Wow, I won the patent battle without even trying!

You can't patent a misspelling.

You can trademark it, however.

But since you went to the wrong office, allowing me to swoop in and go to the RIGHT office.

Now you owe me $130. :D

Of course, you could contest the trademark, citing prior use.

I, however, would counter with mark abandonment.

Could get ugly.

How about we just duel for it?

Rubber chickens at 1 pace...

Rubber_Chicken_2.jpg