want a semi-auto rifle but which one?

predator86

ok so im in the market for a semi-auto, high capacity (30 rd mags), low caliber rifle for a possible shtf situation, im not sure if i want an AR-15 though, what is a similar platform to the AR that doesnt crap where it feeds? i havent really been to involved in this realm of shooting so i dont have much expiriance....

bigghoss

the sig 556 is pretty nice and takes ar15 mags but that is about the only thing they have in common, but they run $1300 or so.

the FN SCAR is suppose to drop soon as well as the magpull maseda(did I spell that right?) and I hear those will be in the $1000 rage

FNH FS2000 is a wicked cool bullpup with a heafty price tag

you can pick up a saiga ak for about $300, $400 for the .308 I belive

theres always the ruger mini 14/30 for $500 or so

beretta has one out too I think

and kel-tec

and and and...

do you have a price range in mind? a specific caliber? any particular features? what would you like to use it for?(it's not just gonna sit in your closet waiting for the end of the world) do you want to mount optics? do you want to add any other accesories?

I could throw out suggestions untill I'm blue in the face and you would probly be happy with any of them but you'd be better off to get a better idea of what you want to get out of it so you can pick the best rifle FOR YOU.

Reidman

+1 Mini-14

I'm willing to bet you're looking for a mini-14. It's a good starter gun with the features you wanted.

Simple. Reliable. Rugged. Affordable. Fun.

Several companies make after market stocks so you can quickly change the appearance of the rifle to make it more :cool:

Check out pawn shops in your area, there is bound to be one on the rack. Ask for the "ranch rifle"

Manedwolf

Saiga 5.56.

Can mod it as you like. Costs $259 to start. Very accurate, very clean gas-piston operation, and it's a Kalashnikov made in Russia.

1317071087_9f94512823_o.jpg

And sorry, buy 'ugh no' to the Mini 14. You'd be paying over twice the price of the Saiga for a rifle that's not even half as accurate or reliable. The local shops even stopped taking them on consignment because nobody wants the clunkers. Thin barrel becomes wildly inaccurate as soon as it heats up, turning your shots into a pattern and discouraging you from shooting. You can buy an overpriced Mini, and then spend another $1000 to make it almost as accurate as the cheapest Olympic plinker AR. Who would want that?

blume357

Low end>>>

SKS... Ak-47s... or if you want to go more American... Mini-14 or 30... M1-carbine (even though the prices for these is going way up)

copenhagen

I myself purchased an American Made AK47 for about $400. Here are the deciding factors that made me get it vs. an AR15:

Less maintenance/cleaning required.

Stainless Bolt&Plunger (on mine at least)

Cheap ammo and mags.

Accurate as I can be.

7.62x39 is in my opinion one of the most prevalent/readily available ammunitions in the entire world, so to me, this was a big deciding factor- add to that it is relatively cheap, and packs quite the punch.

All and all, I consider my AK47 to be like an all purpose hammer for an ISHTF situation. OH, also, it has a collapsable buttstock for ease of carry on patrol, etc.

Finally, this is just me, but I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't American made. I like to support our industry- not saying the other AKs aren't good though. I do believe that mine has better tolerances and has been fitted better as the gun just seems to me to be more tight and accurate than foriegn AKs I have seen.

Manedwolf

Reidman,

I don't mean to be dismissive of the people who like the mini, sorry about that. :)

It's just that I know of way too many people who bought one, went #$%! at the thin barrel heating up, threw money at it, threw more money at it, and then gave up and traded it in on a new plinker AR, which was more accurate out of the box. They ended up having spent about $1700 on a rifle they then could only sell for about $400. There's literally a line of them at the local shop, tweaked, scoped, restocked, etc...and covered with dust, with a sad series of lowered prices crossed out and replaced with even lower ones.

I refer to it as a rifle that was before they knew better. Back when it came out, it was the only option vs. an extremely expensive AR-15 from only a couple of manufacturers. As soon as the Saiga Sporter came out for $259, a sporter-stock rifle with a thick chromelined 1:9 twist barrel for 5.56 NATO... the Mini sort of became a rifle without a purpose for its high price tag. Then the Olympic plinker ARs came out for about $600 and further made it redundant. Ruger, in response to the issues, hasn't thickened the barrel, but done all sorts of kludges to try to hold it in place when it heats up and changes shape, and kept the price high. I just don't see the point when there's sooooo many alternatives.

To me, it's like when people go in and buy a new, but Reagan-era engineering Ford Crown Vic that ends up in the shop every few months. Yeah, that was good for the 80's, but now, there's so, so many better options...

billindenver

I've never heard about a reliablity issue with the Mini's but can attest that their accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. At least the two I've shot.

predator86

my price range-900 or less, preferably less

optics?-maybe, most likely

uses?- target practice probaly out to 200 yards

no real preference on caliber

manedwolf-that saiga in the pic starts at 259???? where do you get one of those as i have not seen them in my area.....yeah i kinda want to stay away from the mini-14 as i have heard more bad than good and there is a long line of them in the pawnshop with a bunch of dust and different mods and so forth...and sorry if this question sounds ignorant but exactly what caliber is 7.62x39mm? i havent seen those numbers on a box of ammo at the local gun store and was wondering if it had an actual designation, like .308, .260 ect. ect.

in case you havent noticed im kinda lacking on firearm expiriance unless you are talking about hunting guns....im deadly with my 270 and my 870....

Manedwolf

They come as $259 with a sporter stock and 10rd mag.

That one has had an ACE skeleton stock/pistol grip adapter and a TAPCO pistol grip fitted onto it, which took all of about five minutes. :)

Also, 7.62x39 is a Soviet caliber, so no, it doesn't have the familiar designation. It's a metric caliber.

root

I'm with the saiga/AK route, unless your price range was $900 for the gun and another few hundred for the optic then you could get an AR which is more accurate than your average saiga/AK, but unless you want to shoot stuff beyond 200-300 yards I'd still go with the ... saiga/ak.

with saiga/ak you could pick up the rifle and an equally expensive optic (EOTech, Aimpoint, etc...) for < $900 . easy.

If you can't find them locally, I've had good luck with the folks over at http://classicarms.us/ they're prices are pretty fair. you could also check out centerfiresystems.com and aimsurplus.com I've never had any personal dealings with them, but haven't heard complaints.

<edit>
I should also mention that regarrding optics, there is a WIDE variety of options so be sure to do research before you buy. there are multiple ways to mount to saiga, and varying ways for differnt types of AKs for instance the yugos - while nice - are difficult to put rails on. the AR platform can be very easy to put optics on, but easiest if you get a flattop, which will set you back more money, but it's better than putting something waaay up on your carry handle.

oh, and to muddy the waters some more, there's all the HK-91 type clones out there, but I wouldn't reccomend the cetme rifles, stick with a PTR-91 (which blows your budget) there's also FN-FAL types out there, but the good ones will again blow your budget.
</edit>

Last edited:

Buzzcook

$900 will get you all sorts of rifles.
If you get a lower priced rifle you'll be able to get optics and a reloading set up.
The Saiga is very popular and the 5.56 is a very popular round.

Now of course what you really need is a deer rifle:D

armedtotheteeth

The AR--- As far as the crapping what it eats , yeah it does, but It doesnt matter. You can fire thousands of rounds out of that thing and it will keep on tickin. It needs a shot of oil say every 500 rounds, but the Saiga aint gonna touch the Ar for accuracy. Yeah the Saiga is cheaper, there is a reason for that. They got a big "KACHUNKA KACHUNKA" machine that stamps them out, unlike the Ar's machine milled receiver. I know people that have 8 or 9 SKS's and they all have reliability issues, granted they dont clean them but " once a year weather they need it or not" I pretty much quit cleaning mine until the groups at 100 yards open up to about 1.5 - 2 inches, then it needs a cleaning, Id say 500 rounds. It also does depend on the ammo you are using. I handload mostly everything for my Ar, other than that I use federal stuff which is very clean, Monarch, very very dirty, is no longer welcome in my AR, and Wolf has never been invited. The Ar's are the best out there, for most of us folks.
As far as 30 carbines, they are good 2 I got 6 of them, But ammo is friggin ridiculous for them. I saw a Remington 50 round box at wally world for 37 dollars, which is about the same as 30-06, for 50 rounds of 30-06.

Jermtheory

get an AR...

i'd bet money you'll be happier.

Stag if you want to stay relatively cheap,or if you're willing to spend a little more,put together an LMT for arround $1000.

jdc1244

My Saiga in 7.62x39 has been very reliable and accurate; but I only had $300 to spend, not $900. No problems with my SKS, either – I can recommend both. But I clean both well after every range session.

Also, 7.62x39 is a Soviet caliber, so no, it doesn't have the familiar designation. It's a metric caliber.

7.62 is .311 inches.