Wannabe

TeeItUpCMB04

I think I want to start Handloading as a new hobby to supplement my old hobby of loving to shoot. Price of factory ammo isn't really the issue, even though I know "rolling my own" will definitely save money. I just think it would be a fun and intersting way to pass some time because I'm not much of a tv watcher and usually have some time to kill at night after work.

The problem is I have a VERY limited knowledge of the process.:eek:

Looking for any advice from any of you guys with "know how" in this area. Help a wannabe out

Thanks!

farnorthdan

Get some good books and start reading

Teeitup--My suggestion would be to get some good reloading books and start reading. There are lots of good ones out there for the beginner, Speer, Lyman, Lee etcetera. This is a crucial first step in my opinion as it gives you a basic idea of the principles and an idea of some of the equipment you will need.

DS

Archie

What far north dan said.

I think the Lyman handloading book is probably the best basic book for the beginner. But you need to read all the stuff BEFORE the loading tables first.

It will explain the process, the goal and most of the pitfalls. If you decide not to, you're only out the price of the book.

Seriously, reloading is about as hard as cooking and as dangerous as driving on the freeway. If you follow directions and pay attention, you'll be fine. Start with mac and cheese and in the slow lane.

mikenbarb

Go grab yourself a copy of the ABC's Of Reloading or the Shooters Bible Reloaders Guide and start reading. Their great books for the beginner or advanced reloader and they cover about everything involved from start to finish. Good luck and welcome to reloading:).

jamaica

All good advice. Also read the stickies at the top of this forum.

If you are a nuts and bolts type of guy and can pay attention to detail you will like reloading.

It has always been questionable whether we save money reloading. Maybe we just shoot more and buy more tools?

Have fun!

TeeItUpCMB04

Thanks guys. Getting some literature before I get started is something I was planning to do. I don't like jumping into anything blind.

Just ordered the 49th edition Lyman manual, excited to get this ball rolling.

any other advice is greatly appreciated

Sevens

I'm a long winded SOB, but I'm going to challenge myself to make this short & sweet.

A loaded round is four components. Brass case, primer, powder, bullet.

At it's most simple, you take all your empties and you run them through a sizing die. The sizing die squeezes the brass back to "like new" shape and it also punches the old, dead primer out.

You then use a tool to put a new primer in each case.

Then you run the cases up in to a case mouth flaring die to "bell" the case mouth so it will easily accept a bullet without crushing or mashing anything.

Then you add the appropriate amount of powder. This is a real art and where you make either great ammo or atomic bombs. Every aspect of reloading takes care, patience and skill, but nowhere is it as important as when you charge the case with powder, for obvious reasons.

Then you set a bullet on top of that sized, primed, flared and charged case and you run it up in to another die that seats the bullet to the proper depth and puts a crimp on the case that either closes the flaring you did earlier or helps hold the bullet in place or does both.

Each of the steps takes time to setup properly, but you only have to set them up once. (well, you change seating depth as often as you change bullets...)

At it's bare bones basic, you need:
--one reloading press
--a priming tool
--one set of three dies for a handgun caliber (can get by with 2 dies for a bottle neck rifle caliber)
--a scale to accurately measure powder
--and a supply of those four components I mentioned above

There's a hundred more tools and goodies you can buy to make the process better or easier or just more enjoyable. Heck, there's a half dozen tools that you sure as hell should buy, but those things I listed would be enough to make it happen safely and would produce very good ammo if you did your part.

A good reloading manual will cost you anywhere from $15 to $50. Check your local library, you may be able to borrow one for free just to give yourself a taste. A manual will teach you how to do it, how to make sure you stay safe and why it all does what it does. A manual is an absolute must for a new reloader.

Some of us (not all of us) end up enjoying reloading as much/more as shooting. For me, if I lived in the sticks and could shoot whenever I want, I would still like shooting more. But because I have to plan the time to shoot, haul the gear, make the trip, etc etc, I end up enjoying reloading even more than shooting because it takes me only 10 seconds to go down to the man cave and work at the bench.