Walther PPS is it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostriderftl

Hello all,

I have decided to go with the Walther PPS (9 mm) to replace my Glock 27. I hope I am doing the right thing but the Glock is just too bulky to carry around and I think the slim PPS will make a difference.

My question is, has Walther worked out the problems that they had and does the thinnest make a difference in carry vs the Glock???

What are your thoughts on this switch??????

zombieslayer

PPS is worth it, and then some. They're incredible, imo. I have two and they shoot and carry extremely well. They've also been 100% RELIABLE.

gearchecker

PS is nearly 100% reliable

My wife has a PPS in 9mm and it's so far 100% reliable. I hear the .40 cal is just as reliable.
I can't speak for all of the PPS pistol's out there, but it's rare you hear of any issues with them. If you "limp wrist" it the pistol it will stovepipe from what I've read. Again, that's a shooter issue not a gun issue. So far it hasn't happened with my wife's pistol.
If yoyu get one and decide that removing the handgrip for cleaning isn't something you want to do, there are ways to field strip it without removing it.
Go to www.ppstalk.com for more info and user posts on it, or the Walther forum for the same. PPStalk is very helpful for getting info and suggestions.
Barsony holsters in Oregon make several holsters that the PPS will fit nicely into, and they're affordable.

My suggestion if you buy a PPS is to buy an UPLULA loader and 3 or 4 extra magazines. You'll want them to make your shooting sessions all the more enjoyable. The PPS magazines are very stiff when loading the last 2 rounds, so the loader will save your fingertips from bruising and possibly blistering.

I think it's an excellent pistol and well worth owning.

JIMSPD9

Go get a pps in 9mm today

I've had my PPS for more than a year. Great trigger. Will be the best cc you ever tried. Avoid Fobus rotary holster as it sticks out like sore thumb. Use a high ride belt holster made of good leather for less printing. I wear light overshirt or safari jacket for cc. NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT

Walther PPS Rocks

Jim S.

Coltman 77

Another very satisfied PPS owner here. :D

I've had one (9mm) for about 18 months and it's been very accurate and uber reliable.

About 1500 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero failures.

The PPS is very easy to disassemble for cleaning and requires no "break-in" period, it runs great right out of the box.

The problems you mention were mostly with early .40 caliber models, IIRC.

Last edited:

AustinTX

It's easily the best single-stack ultra-slim 9mm/.40 in existence. Superbly made, totally reliable, and unbelievably accurate. I cannot recommend more highly.

Forget the Kahr.

Oh, and it conceals much more easily than a G26 or G27:

70969.jpg

Mokumbear

PPS 9mm...

I really like my fairly new Walther PPS in 9mm.

Thin and light enough to conceal with shorts and a t-shirt.

I am not really past the break in point so I will take my results with a grain of salt. I had one JHP round failure to feed.
I have heard not to sweat in until you have run about 100+ rounds through it.

I have some vacation time in December and I am going to run some more rounds through it.

One thing I noticed is this is the easiest gun to field strip I have ever owned.
No tools necessary and as easy as can be, absolutely no struggle.

Last edited:

Forseti

You may want to also investigate the new Sig Saur P290. Should ship by the end of December 2010...

Overall Length 5.5 in
Overall Height 3.9 in
Overall Width 0.9 (1.1 in with slide catch lever)

P290-detail-hero.jpg

AustinTX

After the ugly history of quality control problems with the P238 and P250 pistols, I'll be waiting a couple of years before I even begin to consider the P290.

kinoons

As a PPS .40 cal owner I can tell you that it is unquestionably, totally, 100% worth it. My PPS has been completely dependable. If for some reason I lost or broke my PPS I would immediately replace it with another one.

sonnycrockett

a PPS is a glock.........just skinny and with another name brand :D

PPS40 I have shot plenty,its a great CC weapon but not
a range toy,the G27 is both for me however I think next spring I am
going to seek out a slimmer 40.....That SIG290 is nice but it will be
overpriced and its not a 40......

to the fella above,Saying KAHR is a chevy and Walther is a caddy
is plain ignorance

Mr Lucky

The Walther PPS 9mm is my carry gun of choice. I find it to be very reliable, accurate and slim. One big design feature that sets it apart from other small pistols is its short recoil operated locked breech that uses a modified Browning type locking with tilting barrel. Since it is not a typical blow back design, recoil is reduced. It is very concealable and has no protruding grips or controls. It does not have a manual safety but does have a trigger safety. I find it to have a very comfortable grip but some might need some time adjusting to the slimness. The Mag. release is the typical unconventional Walther design. I'm quite used to it having owned other Walther's.

I think it is well worth the price. It normally comes with a 7+1 magazine with medium floor-plate. You can also buy 6+1 & 8+1 magazines for the 9mm and 5,6, or 7 rd mags for the 40.

8shot357

^^^^

Mr Lucky

Since it is not a typical blow back design, recoil is reduced.

The one I shot at the range, I shot my GD 124g +Ps, and I don't recall any extreme recoil. And I shot it very well, better than expected.

Chinny33

ive had a few go through my hands recently. great ergonomics.

HORRIBLY gritty trigger pull. Maybe because all the PPS i handled were BRAND new?

I vote Kahr PM series or the Sig P239.

KChen986

Carried it around for a month. Very concealable, very reliable. Good for close up bang bang work. I also liked the glock-like trigger. Would definitely recommend it as a CCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.