Walther PPS 9mm

ScotchMan

Last week in my area we had a bit of a heat wave, even breaking a record for high temperature on one day. Concealing my SR9c with just a t-shirt was something I hadn't contended with for a while, and I found myself wishing I owned a true pocket gun. After evaluating several options, and all but leaving the store with a Kahr CM9, I ended up purchasing a Walther PPS in 9mm.

I've admired Walthers as long as I've been interested in guns, and even though the PPS is slightly larger than the CM9 and similar guns that I was comparing it to, I believe it will work for its intended purpose. If I get to have a gun that I've wanted for a long time too, that's a bonus. It conceals in cargo short front pockets wonderfully, and disappears IWB as well.

I picked up the gun yesterday and brought it home for a good cleaning. My specimen is a BB date code and came with two magazines, a 7 and 8 rounder. I understand these guns only came with one magazine in the past; I am not sure if mine was a fluke or if they have started sending two with the gun. Either way, I am happy. I also have a flush-fitting 6 rounder on its way.

I found after cleaning the trigger had already smoothed out significantly. The gun wasn't nearly as dirty as some when I've brought them home. Takedown is like a Glock, so very easy.

Today I took it to the range and put 150 rounds through it. 50 rounds of Winchester Silvertip 147gr hollowpoints (at least 10 years old, needed to get rid of it), and 100 rounds of my reloaded 115gr FMJ over 6.0gr of Power Pistol. All 150 rounds functioned flawlessly. And, the trigger feels even better now! The distinctly pronounced and very short reset on this gun might spoil me to lesser triggers.

I was very impressed with how good the gun feels in the hand and how naturally it points. I don't believe any of the other guns I've fired, with the possible exception of my HK45, point so perfectly that the sights are already lined up on the target when I look at them. Accuracy with the 147gr hollowpoints was average (all over my 8" target at 15 yards), but with my reloads I had one big hole after 100 rounds. Granted, the hole was down and right, but that may be my shooting. I left the range with a warm gun in my bag and a big smile on my face.

One outcome I had not foreseen was the PPS replacing my normal EDC gun year round. I have been wanting to get into appendix carry for some time but couldn't seem to make it work with my thicker and very slightly larger Ruger SR9c. The PPS absolutely shines in this role, and conceals in the more traditional 4-5 o'clock position better as well. I've had a chance to carry it both ways, and was surprised at how comfortable and invisible the little gun is. Considering the trigger is superior to my SR9c, round capacity is the only thing holding me back from replacing the Ruger outright. That and hundreds of dollars of magazines, holsters, and night sights :rolleyes:

In short, I am in love with this gun. I am very happy with my change of heart regarding the CM9, as while I'm sure that would have been an excellent pocket gun, instead I got what might end up being my new favorite 9mm.

jz8AJ.png

Mark54g

Do you feel comfortable with such a heavy weight bullet in a short barrel? Originally I was looking at the PPS, then the CM9, then the CW9, and now I think I want a Bersa BP9CC when I can find one.

ScotchMan

For a carry round I am probably going to pick up some of the 115gr Critical Defense, or a 124gr from Federal or Speer, depending on availability. The 147gr I fired was just some old ammunition I wanted to get rid of, and an opportunity to see if the gun fed them properly.

Fargazer

I use 147 grain American Eagle as my regular practice rounds, and Remington Golden Sabre for my SD rounds. The Walther PPS handles them without complaint, and I find them more accurate (for me) than the lighter bullets.

TheNocturnus

Do you feel comfortable with such a heavy weight bullet in a short barrel? Originally I was looking at the PPS, then the CM9, then the CW9, and now I think I want a Bersa BP9CC when I can find one.

You wont be sorry if you get the BP9CC, I love mine.

iamdb

Small side note. Living in Florida I have to deep conceal my SR9c since shorts and tshirt are required most of the year here. I found the Desantis sof-tuc for the g19 conceals the sr9c very well between 12 - 2:30. Rides very deep which can really slow down your draw compared to my OWB paddles, but is very comfortable and invisible, even with just a wife beater (under shirt). I don't recommend riding a bike while in that holster in that position. I actually threw up one day I got em so good. Wish I had that on video.

Mark54g

Noc,

I don't think I would be able to get it for about 3 years, unfortunately. Unless the reciprocity laws change, NJ is not the place I'd even bother with a carry gun like that. I do plan on moving to NC in that time frame.

RBid

I have a PPQ, and got a Kel Tec PF9 for cc. The PF9 was just enough smaller to provide an edge in warm weather concealed carry, or I would have gotten a PPS.

I don't need one now, but I REALLY want one. Sooner or later, I am probably going to wind up buying one for the 8-9 months/year when it's wet and overcast, here in Oregon.

Great gun.

kinoons

My pps is my daily companion. For the last 3 years. It was the first pistol I purchased with the intent to carry, and I haven't considered another since. I have purchased other great guns for the house or range (HKp7m8, walther PPQ, FiveSeveN) but my daily carry is still my PPS.

Pilot

Great review. Thanks.

I need to get one of these at some point. I've always struggled with summer carry. This would be the fix.

Love the Seiko dive watch on NATO strap, btw. ;)

Uncle Malice

Woot! You got it! Glad I was able to help convince ya. ;)

It's such a great little pistol. You'll notice the trigger getting better and better until you get about 100 rounds through it.

C0untZer0

I'd like to see how it works out for summer carry.

I'm gravitating toward a pocket pistol like the CM9 or Rohrbaugh R9 for summer carry.

If Illinois passes a law that allows OC, then I'd carry a larger pistol because when you get in and out of a vehicle the weapon can (usually) lay flat or cant away from your body.

Seaman

"... conceals in cargo short front pockets wonderfully, and disappears IWB as well." [ScotchMan]

Guess you have larger pockets, just doesn't quite work in mine (loose pants one size up), tho a Sig P238, AMT BACKUP 45 or J-frame work well in the pocket. (AMT BACKUP 45 wants a strong belt)

The PPS, with the short 6 round flush mag, works reasonably well in an ankle holster, and is superb in a shoulder holster. Have stopped carrying it IWB...that is a short trigger and with no safety I am apt to blow a hole thru my nether regions.

A deep conceal handgun should really be no more than 4" high and 5.75" long (J-frames work due to odd shape), perhaps the Bersa BP9cc and Walther PPS will be released in micro frames, (ie 5 round mags and 2.7" barrels). Yes, there is the Rohrbaugh R9, but I cannot shoot it accurately, unlike the others which are all tack-drivers at CCW distances.

Check your 6.

Uncle Malice

I have no problem with the PPS and a flush magazine with pocket carry in either cargo shorts or carpenter style jeans(looser fitting and larger pockets).

I carried my PPS in the pocket during a weekend in Las Vegas. A lot of walking and one day was cargo shorts, the other was carpenter jeans. It doesn't bounce around or anything and it's thinness makes it quite comfortable. Would it be better if it was just a little shorter in length? Probably... but I actually like it's length. It's an easy compromise.

Carrying IWB in a cheap Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster is probably the most comfortable method and gun to carry I've ever tried. The Sidekick doesn't really have any retention, it's just a soft holster, but being tucked in the belt provides plenty of hold. That soft holster up against your body just makes the gun disappear.

Seaman

Ahoy Uncle,

"Would it be better if it was just a little shorter in length? Probably... but I actually like it's length. It's an easy compromise." [Uncle Malice]

Length isn't really the problem, ie, a PPK is about as long, but works in the pocket...its height...at 4" or less means I can get the PPK or aforementioned other 3 handguns out in reasonably quick time. PPS no go.

Guess with cargo pants this isn't a problem...but I don't wear cargo pants, they are a dead giveaway someone is likely carrying.

I got the PPS because my lgs had all their Kimber Solos recalled and I haven't seen one since. As it is, the PPS is a compromise, but a superb shooter, and (with the long 8 round mag in) out of an IWB holster, it is a very fast draw...just don't carry that way anymore for reasons already mentioned.

Check your 6.

Uncle Malice

Hrm. I guess the extra 3/8" doesn't effect me. lol. My PPS measures 4 3/8" - it slides in and out of my pocket without catching.

I find it odd that you consider cargo shorts a dead giveaway that someone is carrying. I've always worn cargo shorts...and just got into firearms a few years ago. They're just loose and comfortable in the summer time.

RBid

I don't see cargo shorts being a giveaway that someone is carrying, either. This may be a regional thing, of course. In Oregon, cargo shorts are all over the place during the warm season. I would have thought that AE, Abercrombie & Fitch, etc selling them would indicate that they aren't exclusive to gun carriers.

Having said that, I don't think I would pocket carry a PPS. I might pocket my PF9, but the marginal size difference between the guns is just enough to make me lean toward IWB with a PPS.

Seaman

Ahoy Gents,

"...it slides in and out of my pocket without catching. " [Uncle Malice]

The opening to my front jeans pocket is about 4.5"

Just tried the PPS (with 6-rd mag), J-frame M438, AMT 45 BACKUP and Sig P238 in my jeans front pocket. It can be done with a PPS, it prints somewhat and it is a slow, careful draw, the other 3 are much quicker, especially the Sig P238. The P238 will even fit in the denim jacket chest pocket.

I wear loose fitting jeans, one size up, and a loose fitting denim jacket, tried all of the above in the lower front pocket of the denim jacket with similar results.

At the gun club, lotta folks favor cargo pants and it looks like there is nothing in there, used to surprise me when they would always pull out a tiny Ruger or Kel-Tec.

On the street you just never know...which can be good or bad....

If a nasty dude approaches me and I cross the street to avoid him, and he crosses the street to cut me off, and he is wearing cargo pants...you wanna know I go to red alert...

Check your 6.