Walther PPQ Adjustable Sight Help

TunnelRat

Hey all,
So I just got back from my second outing with the PPQ. It seems to be breaking in nicely. No issues with failure to feed like last time and I am really starting to love it.

Only issue I have noticed with it is I seem to shoot a tad left with it. I attached a target for reference. I was at 21', steady fire, standing. Each diamond has at least 15 shots on it. Be nice to me I've only been shooting for 8 months :eek:. I shot my P220 on the same outing and had no such issues even on DA so I honestly don't think I am jerking the trigger. Looking at the rear sight it does seem to be drifted slightly more to the left off center. I also have been dry firing the hell out of it with snap caps for a month to check my trigger break as well and I feel like I have it down.

Let's assume for a second I'm right about the sight being off slightly, give me the benefit of the doubt :), how do I adjust it? I know it has a screw in the back for the windage adjustable rear sight.

To correct for shooting left I should drift the rear sight to the right, correct?
Which direction do I turn the windage screw, clockwise or counter-clockwise? The screw's head is on the right side of the firearm.
How much will each click adjust the POI?

Thanks for the help, never adjusted sights before.

Merry Christmas!
-TR

Attachments

• 2011-12-24_13-06-12_533.jpg
    2011-12-24_13-06-12_533.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 185

JHansenAK47

To correct for shooting left I should drift the rear sight to the right, correct?
Correct.
Which direction do I turn the windage screw, clockwise or counter-clockwise?
I can't remember if that was reversed or not. The screw will be moving in.
How much will each click adjust the POI?
It's in the manual. I would look it up for you but I traded my PPQ to my dad because he is left handed. Nothing against the pistol I was just helping him out.

Also don't lose that rear sight detent and spring. They will go flying. I lost mine at the range. S&W customer service sent me a new one for free.

balance

It is reverse threaded, so you will want to turn the screw counter clockwise as many clicks as necessary.

I'd suggest bringing a small screwdriver with you to the range next time you go, but make sure it is not you first. Every Walther P99, PPQ, and PPS is zero'd from the factory.

Where are the shots on the test target that came with your PPQ? Is the group left of center?

TunnelRat

Thanks for the help guys!

@balance
I get your point and certainly I want to be sure my technique is good. However that it shoots to center for me is more important in my use of the gun than what the factory shooter achieved. Given how easy it is to adjust these sights I see no harm in a slight adjustment. I will record how many clicks I move. I will also put at least one more range session before I do anything. That is after all the point of an adjustable sight.

labhound

Adjust it until you shoot dead center. If it is your technique and you eventually start shooting to the right, then just adjust it back to the center. ;)

RC20

Also one persons eyes differs from another. What can be spot on for one will not be for someone else.

TunnelRat

It is even more worth noting that I have an astigmatysm and I am cross-eye dominant. My eyes are all kinds of messed up:)

I do wear glasses which help but the cross eye dominant thing produces some weird effects sometimes.

Last edited:

balance

I get your point and certainly I want to be sure my technique is good. However that it shoots to center for me is more important in my use of the gun than what the factory shooter achieved. Given how easy it is to adjust these sights I see no harm in a slight adjustment. I will record how many clicks I move. I will also put at least one more range session before I do anything. That is after all the point of an adjustable sight.

I understand, and I don't blame you. I was just suggesting to find out if the pistol grouping off center was the result of the sights or shooting technique.