Walther PPQ 9mm

18DAI

I went to the local range last week for some quality time with my USP.

The range owner, knowing I don't like or use striker fired guns, hands me a Walther PPQ 9mm. He says "Shoot this and when you come out I'll give you the ordering info." Bold talk Sparky. So, I shot it......and I ordered mine yesterday.

The PPQ is a relative of the P99. The PPQ however has an all new trigger. The trigger looks similar to Glocks, with the "safety" lever protruding from the trigger face. It has a 5.5lb pull and a 1.5mm reset. Yes, 1.5mm - we measured it. It is the lightest, smoothest, most crisp trigger I've ever shot.

The accuracy of the PPQ was outstanding. I put 100 rounds of cheap Magtech into three ragged holes measuring under 2" apiece at 15 yards. The first time shooting the gun.

Glocks grip angle doesn't work for me and I've never really cared for the trigger. The PPQ's trigger looks similar - but is an entirely different animal.

It is well known that I despise the M&P pistol. Lousy triggers, poor accuracy, broken strikers ect. I find them to be overpriced for what they are too.

The PPQ is made entirely by Walther. S&W imports it, thats it. When you squeeze the PPQ's trigger, experience its reliability and accuracy, and see its fit and finish, it is obvious that the current company calling itself S&W had absolutely nothing to do with the design or manufacture of the PPQ.

I've read much on the internet about "Glock perfection" and "the M&P is a Glock slayer". I don't subscribe to either belief. If your a Glock fan try a PPQ to experience polymer striker fired perfection. If your an M&P fan try a PPQ to experience what a trigger is and should be.

If the PPQ gets any of the attention it should, it will win Glock converts and kill sales of that M&P pistol, IMO.

Go rent a PPQ. Buy it, shoot it, love it! Regards 18DAI

C0untZer0

I was thinking yesterday that for people who can't tolerate the Glock trigger, you're looking at a few hundred bucks to change it.

Don Glock

i checked out a ppq. definitely a much shorter reset than any other out of the box polymer i've seen. didn't shoot it though, couldn't tell you how reliable or accurate it is. the trigger break is really light too. the trade off is that the break is kinda mushy and not so discernible.

i was actually considering purchasing it, but it only has a 1 year warranty and mags/parts are very expensive for it. if s&w would extend their lifetime warranty to walther products that they import, i would probably consider getting it.

SHNOMIDO

I'm a little confused, does the PPQ outclass the P99 in every way?

I've been a decent fan of the P99, but havent crossed the edge on wanting to actually own one.

What are the reasons, if any, to get a P99 over the PPQ?

i have a feeling this is kind of like the HK P2000 Vs the P30, just different strokes for different folks but the P30 is supposedly better.

Also kind of like the FN FNP vs FNX, ths FNX is supposed to outclass the other but i hate the FNX and own a FNP...

Its hard to distinguish the differences in models when companies over-saturate their own lines with pistols that fill the same exact role.

pilpens

I have shot a few glocks 19, 17, 22, 26, 34. Of these, I like the Gen 4 26 the most. Trigger was heavy on the G26 but clean.
I have only held a Walther PPQ at LGS once. I think the trigger is better than that of a Glock but not enough experience to be definite.

I have a DA/SA Walther P99. It is difficult to compare the PPQ and the DA/SA P99 --- different trigger systems. Both are good.

Had an M&P- sold it because of the trigger.

If I ever get a pistol with a glock-type trigger, the Walther PPQ would be the first on my list.

Fishbed77

i was actually considering purchasing it, but it only has a 1 year warranty and mags/parts are very expensive for it. if s&w would extend their lifetime warranty to walther products that they import, i would probably consider getting it.

FYI - S&W has been known to honor warranties on P99s well past the "official" one year.

Don Glock

^^i know, but some folks had to go through a hassle to get it. I like care free service lol. Plus, I can only imagine what extra mags for that thing will cost.

roman3

The magazines for the PPQ cost how much :eek: $60 each :eek: or more!

Well P99 9mm highcaps were expensive and hard to find for a long long time too.

And I have read P99 mags will work, maybe, but perhaps you shouldn't, no you definately shouldn't, although there seems to be some issues about which generation mag, some say needs to be the ones with model # WAF65004, or won't if work isn't done etc, no shouldn't do it as the lip is higher and will damage the feed ramp... (confusing I know but that is the internet for you)

Walther says do not use P99 mags in the PPQ.

.357SIG

PPQ owners on the Walther Forum have been using P99 and SW99 mags without issues. They may be expensive at $45-50, but how often are you going to buy them and how many mags do you really want?

DPris

Member Emeritus
Two major advantages of the PPQ are the extremely short reset and no de-cocker.
S&W says P99 mags are perfectly fine in the PPQ.
Denis

priler

the PPQ is walthers attempt once again into the police market/contract and for discerning shooters who can appreciate it's refined qualities over it's market competitors,in particular glock(and m&p,xd/m to a certain extent),especially when comparing the trigger and grip.

in this respect,imo,the PPQ design is very successul,if not in sales numbers yet(and honestly,i doubt the PPQ will ever sell more than glocks,such is walthers market).

it's basically for someone who can tell the difference between a workable trigger and a very good trigger with no modifications necessary and of course a pistol that really feels great in the hand. it also happens to be very efficient in it's weight and dimensions for a full size duty gun. in this sense,it's simlar to the p99 AS for those who prefer TDA.

i don't think it's perfect and has a few quirks but i'll let all of you decide/discover what those quirks are.

by the way,were the heck have all of you been. the p99 AS has had that same really short reset all along,it's DA of course.

remember that walther are pioneers of the DA pistol and the p99 AS is an advancement in TDA with it's smooth light trigger with fast reset and now with the PPQ,walther is improving on the popular glock-like triggers so many others imitate that seems to be popular. i can't imagine walther without an awesome DA version of something and if they ever loose that,then they'll loose me,..at least for new guns anyway.

great trigger on the PPQ. i don't like little safety levers on a trigger and for SD,HD and carry i much prefer TDA,but if you're not like me,you should do yourself a favor and check out the PPQ.

Don Glock

obviously the ppq is unproven, being new.

however, there's other reason i didn't purchase one recently: lack of parts availability, only one year warranty, expensive mags.

until all those issues are resolved, walther will not have a home run on their hands.

BlueTrain

I have one of the P99 AS versions, which is the DA/SA trigger with a decocker. There was and, I guess, still is a QA (quick action) version, too. That sounds like the same as the PPQ but maybe not. I've actually handled both, as well as the PPS, and I can't really tell the difference in the triggers. I've also owned a Glock and the trigger on it was pretty much the same, only lighter than the DA on the P99 I have.

balance

The PPQ is unproven for now, but it is not an entirely new design. It is based off the P99Q police pistol which has been selling in Europe for years, and the only difference I know of is the lack of a decocking function on the PPQ. I doubt we will see any design related problems with the PPQ.

The factory mags for Walther pistols are expensive, around $55 from what I've seen. But the Magnum Research mags for the MR version of the P99 are the exact same mags, made by Mec-Gar, and sell for around $30 each. The only differences between them and the factory mags, are the markings. You can use the newer P99 mags in the PPQ, but not the older designed mags. The older ones will impact the bottom of the feed ramp while the pistol cycles and can cause damage to either the front of the mag, which is taller on the older ones, or the feed ramp, but both will work in an emergency.

As far as parts availability, I've never had an issue getting different sights or holsters for my P99, both of which fit on the PPQ. What parts do you suppose you will need? No pistols out there have as much parts available as a Glock or a 1911. I've read posts on the Walther forum many times about how people simply call CS to ask for how much a part costs, and end up getting it for free. I've also read reports on how P99 pistols more than 10 years old get worked on or replaced for free, with or without that 1-year warranty. I honestly don't remember reading any threads about how Walther/S&W customer service ever gave anyone a hard time, and the PPQ has been reported to have a lifetime warranty.

The PPQ replaces the P99 QA, not the P99 AS. Walther has stated that they do not plan on taking the P99 AS off the line-up anytime soon. Many people complained about the trigger on the QA version of the P99, and Walther came out with the PPQ with a better trigger and a more ergonomic grip, and if I'm remembering right, the QA version has been discontinued.

I agree with priler about how all these people are just now noticing the good trigger on these pistols. It's a little shocking as the P99 has been on the market for close to 15 years now, but I'm not complaining, I think this is a good thing. I bought my PPQ last week, and the trigger on the PPQ mimics the SA trigger on my P99. If you would like a reliable polymer pistol with (IMO) one of the best DA/SA triggers out of the box, get a P99. If you would like a reliable polymer pistol with (IMO) one of the best constant action triggers out of the box, get a PPQ.

priler

the PPQ doesn't really need to be proven. like balance said,it's been used in europe now for some time under a different name.

they didn't reinvent the wheel with this one,they just shaped the slide slightly different with some cosmetic difference and a few cosmetic changes to the grip and refined/changed the trigger action.

take one apart and then take a p99 apart,what do you see? same materials,same type of construction,same basic philosophy in design.

now take a glock apart,what do you see? you'll see the same basic philosophy in construction and design(and i'm not refering to all polymer pistols being the same,i mean specifics). there's a reason for this;some engineers that helped design the glock,15 years later also helped design the p99. of course,glock did certain things there way and so did walther. walther,for example,had cesare morini,a famous italian olympic pistol grip designer design the grip on the p99. i don't know who glock used for this but he's no fan of mine.

as companies they each have there own QC but the p99 and PPQ are brother and sister and these walthers and the glock are cousins. as far as length of history and number of innovations there's difference but both are good companies.

now take all three and put 50k rounds through each one. i'm willing to bet it will be pure luck of the draw as to which one will give you problems. my money is on none of them. i would tend to think that the shooter would be the unknown factor in this equation in some cases. there are always lemons though and i don't put full faith in anything mechanical(or biological for that matter).

my point is i would not base my buying/not buying a PPQ on whether it's proven but then again,i already own and know about the p99 to not worry about it.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

they didn't reinvent the wheel with this one,they just shaped the slide slightly different with some cosmetic difference and a few cosmetic changes to the grip and refined/changed the trigger action.

Even this part isn't new. The revised slide and grip design have already been around for a few years in Europe as the P99RAD.