Walther PPK

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCV

I wonder how you like yours if you have one. They come in .32 or .380. Considering one instead of a Beretta Tomcat or the Keltec.

I know the slide can break on the older Beretta and the Keltec takes lots of breaking in.

Runner

I had an American made PPK. I sold it and replaced it with a Keltec P32. I am much happier.

I also have a Kahr MK9 which is about the same size as the PPK, is much higher quality, and is 9mm.

Many have had problems with American made PPK quality, don't like the blowback design, and are more satisfied with the .32 over .380 .

I would advise against the PPK ;)

Dave R

I have never owned a PPK, but I have a clone and have shot several others. Because of the high price of the PPK, and the spotty reputation it has here, I would choose a lower-cost alternative, such as:

-Bersa Thunder
-Makarov
-FEG SMC-380
-FEG PA-63

All may be slightly bigger, but 3 of 4 will be lighter, (only the Mak is heavier) equally reliable or better, and will leave $$ in your pocket for ammo or training.

But then I'm a pretty frugal guy. I really like my FEG, though. Very accurate for a small pistol.

Also, heavy for their size..mine was a 66 german and was still a jammer...I dumped it for a smith 442...i'd rather have two less shots but know they're leaving the barrel...

GUNNUTS

HEY DVC:GUNNUTS HERE, I guy I work with bought a PPK/USA made, he shot it maybe 10 times=500 rounds,Then he shot my SIG-P232,His PPK is now for sale!My KAHR'S are even better,I carry a K40 stainless in winter & a MK9 stainless in summer,In Milt Sparks summer special #2 IWB holester.just my 2cents.

DCV

thanks.

im familiar with the Makarov, good and cheep. I didnt know the PPK was such low quality. looking for something the size of the SP101 or smaller, decent power.

slick slidestop

I have had the PPK for about 7 years now, and mine works flawlessly. Very accurate, easy to conceal....Poor quality? I'm sorry I can't agree.

I have read several of the negative experiences here, But mine and a friend of mine's have worked great....You'd never get either of us to sell them :confused:

Jody Hudson

The LOOK good; like a painted lady at a cheap cowboy bar. But, unreliable when taken home and not guaranteed to perform. But, they do look goooooooooooooooooddd. :)

P99

I've had an American made PPK/S that worked flawlessless for me. I traded it in on a P99. I wish I had it back, but I really like my P99's also.

I've also got 2 of the PPK's big brother's the PP. One in .32 and the other in .380. Both are excellent guns and have never jammed or had anything go wrong with them.

P99

bad_dad_brad

Unless you want to just be cool and emulate James Bond, which I totally understand, get a Kahr. Just about any model is superior in size and firepower.

I have an MK9 Kahr. +P9mm in a smaller package than a .380 PPK. Wan't to get more radical - get an MK40 - .40cal in just about the same size as an MK9.

Except for fun, the Walther PPK is really obsolete.

Wasatch Pete

PPK's

I've had an American made PPK for about 15 years now, and its never jammed, or given me any trouble in that time. I shoot WW Silvertips in it, and it goes bang everytime. Also shoots right to point of aim at 15 yards. A good accurate gun...

10mmman

I have had 2 PPK/S's & 1 PPK (all US guns) in .380
I have had 2 PPK/S’s in .22 - both Manurhin guns,
I have shot extensively a Manurhin PPK/S in .380
I currently have 1 German PP in .22, 1 TPH (US) in .22 [one of the rare reliable ones- one that I was fortunate enough to get a set of spare parts for when they were available] as well as a new P22.

I gave up on the PP design in .380. Even if it is well built, any blowback .380 is a hard kicking gun. (I had a Beretta 84F also, ditto.) Lest you think I’m a recoil wimp, I shoot a 40S&W in IDPA, (SSP Expert) hunt with a 10mm Mag. 5” 610, & do not find my 629 Mountain Gun that unpleasant to shoot with full house loads.

The PPK while accurate with it’s fixed barrel also bites the hand that feeds it- the slide is low and often takes a slice off of the web of the shooters hand- the meatier the hand, the more it is likely to bite. I have also seen spotty reliability, & magazine seating issues. The safety is counterintuitive and slow, and it does not have a drop safety. It is not safe to carry as such unless the cumbersome safety engaged.

In .32 they may be more controllable, but given the size & weight, they are not efficient and still suffer from all the other drawbacks. My P32 (Keltec) is reliable, light, small, & reasonably accurate, even after collecting dust in my pocket (without printing/pulling) for a month.

In .380 the Colt Mustang Pocketlite is my choice- smaller, lighter, more reliable, more customizable than the PP series, it functions with a wider variety of loads and is easier to shoot well and fast than the PP guns. However: one must be comfortable with the 1911 manual of arms as well as cocked & locked for CCW.

In .22 they are a blast. Nothing for kick, can get your Bond ya-yas out with cheap ammo, still accurate, good single action, a fast shooter & don’t have to worry about ‘stake your life on it’ reliability. It is a pricey plinker.

The PP series is a classic, unfortunately it is also markedly out of date.

My boys (9&12) MUCH prefer to shoot the TPH, but they haven’t seen the P22 yet (which Earl’s has short barrels for NOW- I just ordered mine!)

uzi4me

OHHHH THIS IS JJJUUUUSST THE SUBJECT I CAN DEFINATELY RESPOND WITH EXPERIENCE TO ...
YO .. GUNNUTS ... YOU AINT $H*+IN! .. i have a sig p232 and i SWEAR by it .. i challenge anyone who is even thinking of purchasing a ppk to go to the gun store and look at each side by side, and to work the action a little .. pullin the ppk's hammer back is like pulling teeth!. argh!.. if one cant tell the difference between exquisit ( spell check) manufaturing and poor machining, then one is blind .. i LOVE my p232 .. and it performs flawlessly .. horribley accurate, easy to conceal, NO HARD EDGES ( like the ppk ), i have it in .380 which is a nice pocket gun caliber ..
i am not saying the ppk wont function well, but if you take all the previously mentioned pistols on this thread and place them side by side, and work the action a little, the sig 232 will stand out like a CHAMP..!

YO P99!! i bought a p99 in .40 S&W a year ago .. I LOVE IT !!! .. it just goes to show you that just because one pistol manufactured by a particular company is machined poorly, doesnt mean that another different model pistol manufactured by the same company is also the same ..
and i bought my sig 232 about 4 months ago, with hogue grip, AND FACTORY NIGHT SITES INCLUDED for the low low price of 475 dollars ! .. the factory night sites cost roughly 100 dollars ALONE!
I STAND BY MY WALTHER P99 IN .40 S&W AND I STAND BY MY SIG 232 IN PRIDE ...
i will never buy a ppk, and if i ever come across one as a gift, im trading it in in a heart beat .. maybe for a nice medium frame glock.. there are so many accessories for glocks, i cant help but to want one...

Last edited:

Lavan

I have a German PPK in .22 LR

1967 vintage. VERY accurate. Reliable IF you don't use standard velocity ammo. Needs hi-speed. Only had about 6 months but very satisfied.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

I've owned both the German PPK/S X 2, and an
it's American counterpart PPK. I'm also happy
to report, I have not had one problem with
either of these firearms. My only gripe is
that the damn sight's on both models are
awfully hard to see. Other than that, I have
0 complaint's regarding the PPK series.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Archer1440

I purchased a stainless US made .380 PPK-S in 1994. After about 3000 rounds, it has occasionally been slipping into DA from SA while staging the trigger. Still goes bang.

Other than that it has been completely reliable with ball and hydra-shok rounds and is also remarkably accurate for such a small weapon. However, I won't carry it until I get the trigger issue fixed.

Anyone else with this prob ?

Runner

Archer1440,
With less than a box of ammo through my NIB "S&W" Walther PPK/S part of the sear chipped off and it became a DAO pistol. S&W replaced the sear but I sold it anyway. The experience was not a confidence builder for a brand new weapon. :( They look cool but I won't trust my life to one. :barf:

Archer1440

I hear you Runner. I'm really unforgiving of failures too. But mine was great for the first 7 years, and I'm willing to have it fixed, and "re-qualify". I can't see anything wrong with the sear, I suppose it could just be worn.

The only weapons I trust 100% are my HK's.

Boris49

I've had my PPK/S for over 10 years. No jams. Period. Could be because of the Silvertip ammo, but also use ball on the range. A post above noted web-biting which is a problem if the magazines do not have finger extensions. It's a great pocket rocket however. And if you've shot a Keltec .380, you'll come back to a gun that looks like it will last past the warranty. Keltec recoil is like holding a cherrybomb in your paw.

DA/SA is excellent. Field stripping a breeze. Yah, the Sig is great too, but I thought you wanted info on the Walther.

Attachments

• ppks.gif
    ppks.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.