Walther PPK

joab

can anyone give any info on this gun. It belonged to my boss's father. The slide is marked---Waffenfabrik Walther.Zella Mehlis(thur)---Walther's Patent Cal 7.65mm.---Serial#778xxx
  1. what is the appx age (i.e. pre '68)
  2. The appx value
  3. Any historical significance
    [/list=1] there dosnt seem to be any import marks[

Ledbetter

That sounds like it might be an actual German Walther. Is there any lettering on the barrel where it shoes through the slide?

joab

Yes but Ican barely make it out looks like a sideways triangle and a circle Im going to Wal-mart now Ill have to pick up a magnifiying lens

kalibear45

When you post again or reply to a post, just press the "Browse" where it says 'Attach File:' right above the Submit button. This will open up a window where you can select a picture from your hard drive and it will automatically upload it.

Hope that helps!

joab

Thanks Kalibear
Its Christmas! Go have some balut & eggnog!
My step-mother is filapina and my wife is vietnamee Ive eaten enough balut to start a dead chicken farm

S.F. 1357

It sounds like you have a pre-war commercial PPK. My pre-war has a serial of 798xxx. The marking on your barrel by the chamber should be a "Crown over N" proof mark. Also, your safety should rotate a full 90 degrees instead of the later 60 degrees. These features were discontinued and changed thereafter in 1940.

In absolutely pristine condition I've seen these go for $800-$1000. I bought mine with patches of holster wear for $450 and change. The PPK's manufactured in that era chambered in .22LR, .25ACP or .380ACP are worth substantially more to collectors.

joab

YES-- it is a crown over whats left of a weakly stamped N or possibly a U ( I looked it up in my book, never would have clicked without your help). However the safty does not seem to rotate a full 90 the orange dot that normally is covered is not

S.F. 1357

A "Crown over N" proof mark signifies a pre-1940 Walther. IIRC, it was after 1940 they were proofed with the "Eagle over N". I'll try and post some pics of the 60 and 90 degree safeties once my camera is up.