Walther PPK?

FSCJedi

What is the general concensus on these beautiful little firearms? I've wanted one for a while now, but I have heard some crappy stuff about them. Things like: failures to feed, heavy trigger pull, and the dreaded "walther bite". Granted, I've heard some good stuff too, but I still want to know what you all think. I'd be getting it in .32 cal. blued for those who are interested. Thanks in advance for any comments.

faustulus

I got a friend who loves his. One of his favorite carry guns. They tend to bite me, which is odd since he usually has a higher grip than I do. He is working on his second and trusts his life to it so ...
I don't know about the quality but the newer ones (S&W made?) have a more pronounced tang to prevent bite.

stickslinger

I bought a .380 PPK/S for my wife. Had to have a trigger job before she could work it double action and the slide is still tough for her. I'm about to trade it on a revolver, a little more female user friendly.

Personally, I think it's a well built handgun. It's fairly accurate for such a short barrell and easily concealable. However, I find it's susceptable to weak wristing and likes premium ammo. The cheap stuff just doesn't work well.

3rd ACR

I thought the trigger on the PPK was horrible. I also heard all the FTF/FTE stories, and went with the Sig 232. Great trigger, super reliable, accurate as all get out. Hey, it's a Sig!

stickslinger, My wife has confiscated my 232 and adores it! She shoots the heck out of it, and the slide doesn't seem to be a problem. It might be worth a look if you like that style pistol.

Did your wife try cocking the hammer before chambering a round? It does make it easier.
FWIW

Kurt

Dave R

I read some old posts where several folk suggested that PPK clones were a better value than PPK's these days. Bersa, FEG, etc. I have not shot a "true" Walther, so I can't compare. But I have a FEG have shot the Bersa, and they are both nice pistols.

ISP2605

I've had 2 PPK and 1 PPK/s. Neither of the PPK would reliably feed some types of HP. Generally they were OK but there would be times they'd choke. The PPK/s I have is a blued W German made. I have no idea how many rounds have been thru it. I'm the 3rd owner. I know both the previous owners and they shot it quite a bit and I've run a few thousand rds thru it. It will feed anything I can stick in the mag. The 2 previous owners said they never had trouble with it either.
The only time I carry it tho is in the summer time when I'm dressed where I can't really carry anything else.
My dept issued stainless PPK to senior command. They would either work or not. Seems to be the general story from what I hear. If you got a PPK that works, hang on to it. If you got one that doesn't, trade it.

SouthpawShootr

I have 2. An Interarms Walther PPK/s and a pre-war German PPK (a shooter only b/c some idiot re-blued it). The German gun is very nice and hasn't bitten me yet. I have scars on my right hand from the back of the Interarms slide. And the damn thing wouldn't get through a magazine without a jam. The German gun is ok with FMJs and HPs with an FMJ profile. Accuracy? Not great, but not bad either. S&W (Springfield) guns? Don't know. Like to have one, but it is not high on my list. I've looked at a few at shows and they seem to be well-made. They lengthend the back of the frame (sort of like a beavertail) to eliminate the hammerbite, but I think this makes the gun look kind of funny.

Kermit

ANY opinion on the guns from Smith & Walther?

I've seen some new Walthers trickling into shop shelves lately. Does anyone have any experience w/ them?

XavierBreath

A few months back I bought a S&W Walther PPK/S for my wife. The S&W Walther PPK/S still has a bit of a bite. I buffed down the beavertail a bit, and eliminated it. I have some Pachmayr full signatures on the way as well. The pistol was originally purchased for my wife, but she has trouble chambering a round. I do not. I am hoping that after breaking it in, she will be able to use it. It is surprisingly accurate for a pistol with such a short sight radius. It is about the same size as my K40, but the K40 is thicker. I have not experienced any FTF issues. The DA trigger pull is heavy, but the SA pull is sweet. Again, it may improve significantly after breaking the pistol in. I liked the pistol enough to take it away from my wife instead of trading it in. If she doesn't want it back in 6 months, it's mine forever!