Walther PPK/S Question

ajacobs

I have searched the forums and haven't quite find answer for my question. I have a manurhin ppk/s (would love to trade it for a stainless walther if any one is interested).

Of course this is a traditional DA not DAO. I load a round into the chamber from the magazine but it can be done two ways:

1. WIth the saftey on, resulting the loaded ppk with the saftey on and the trigger back. When you disengage the saftey, the trigger goes forward and it can be fired as normal.

2. Load with the saftey off, then decock, resulting in the saftey on and with the trigger forward.

Mentally it is more conforting to have the trigger back as well as more safe to chamber a round with the saftey on.

Is there any practical (dare I say tactical), saftey, or durability reasons it should be kept for carry with the trigger forward or back?

Thanks for any imput. Aaron

Hard Ball

With the trigger forward you can carry your pisttol safely and be ready to fire the first shot by simply pulling the trigger through the double action stroke. In an emergency that can be a real tactical advantage.

IZZY

I reject the use of safeties on Double action pistols. Just carry it chabered and the hammer down, saftey off...this is a Very safe pistol, safer than most of whats out there ( cept, maybe a walther p-5). As for the trigger snapping back, if that bugs you then dont engage the safety when chambering a round, dont worry the firing pin is Spring loaded and it takes a good hammer strike to set it off, as all guns point in a safe direction when handling.

I have owned and shot Four PPK's. Two out of three American made PPK's were unsatisfactory. The stainless version that I hade a few years ago was an extreemly soft alloy and the slide expanded. The first blued (U.S.) that I owned had 4 factory defects! It was so bad they shipped me a new pistol, which I had nickled and carry today. I respectfully suggest you keep your PPK and hard Chrome it as soon as possible, that way you wont need to polish it every few months like I do with my Nickel and you will practicly elliminate all rust worries. Thus equipt you will have one of the highest quality, safest, most accurate daily carry guns in the world, congrats!

P.S. The fourth ppk that I shot was in Israel, a German rework and like most European PPK's was a beuaty to shoot! I am taking the time Aharon, to give you my experiances so you may never have to repeat my mistakes, so please dont get sucked up in to the American PPK market!

cocojo

Don't trade the French Manuhin 380 for a american walther this is a big mistake. I owned a Manuhin when they came into this country in the late 80's it is alot better made than the american. The american 380 stainlesses are junk. Keep the Franch PPK/s at least until S&W comes out with their PPK which will be all forged,sometime in the fall unless your boycotting them.

ajacobs

Thanks for all the advice about keeping my current pistol. You all have convinced me. I mainly bought this one becuase I could get it on my curio and relic ffl. I guess I am sending yet another pistol off to Robar for np3 when the finish (which is great) wears.

I guess there isn't any opinions on the trigger position. I think I will go with closing the slide with the saftey on, therefore leaving the trigger back. It doesn't seem anyone has a reason I put the trigger forward. It would seem to be safer. Thanks again. Aaron