Walther PK 380 Owners,, talk to me...

bennnn

Anybody have/had a Walther PK 380?

Likes, dislikes, opinions?

It looks like a .380 version of the P22 to me, and I'm one of the lucky ones who got a gem of a P22 and have loved it.

Let's hear it. I'm really curious about this,

(I already have an LCP, so none of those "just get an LCP" type rants,,, lol)

ryan huddleston

I don’t have one but my father-in-law does and I dont think I would get one only because it doesn’t really give you any of the benefits of a .380. When I think of a .380 I think of a pocket pistol like the LCP, Seacamp, etc. For me the only reason to shoot a .380 is if you want to comprimize fire power for size. But this gun is a little big for a pocket pistol. If its the size your interested in I would look into a single stack 9mm. But if you just like .380's or Walthers then it would be a good gun. Its about the same size as a p99c just slimmer.

carguychris

I have not shot one, but have handled several and talked to owners. The basic rundown:

GOOD:
  • Very comfortable grip
  • Fits people with small hands very well
  • Generally very good triggers, both DA and SA
  • Can be carried cocked-and-locked
  • Larger and more visible sights than most .380s
  • Locked-breech action gives it lighter recoil than most comparable pistols
  • Reasonably accurate
  • Inexpensive
  • Slim profile for comfy IWB carry
  • Larger size than many .380s = easy to shoot well
  • Lighter than most comparably-sized pistols
  • External, easy-to-reach hammer = safe holstering for DA/safety-off carry
BAD:
  • No manual slide stop
  • Takedown requires dinky plastic tool that's easy to lose and can't be secured to the gun
  • Not as finely finished as some competitors, although not as bad as the typical Kel-Tec or Bersa (comparable to LCP)
  • Not a target pistol
  • Larger than many .380s = harder to conceal; NOT a pocket gun unless you're wearing a heavy overcoat
  • Standard gun comes with only one magazine and spares cost $30+ (this problem afflicts numerous other small .380s though)
  • Slide-mounted safety somewhat awkward to operate
  • P99-style trigger-guard mag-release paddles clumsy for some
  • Round hammer spur difficult to manually thumb down while decocking for DA/safety-off carry; hammer can be dropped against actuated safety, but IMHO this practice is a negligent discharge looking for an opportunity to happen :eek:
My wife is contemplating getting one, and IMHO it seems like a really good gun if you can be disciplined while decocking. :rolleyes: