Walther P99QA?s

jack_the_sailor

I understand this is a DAO with a quick action trigger. What does a quick action trigger mean? How manny #s is the trigger pull? Is there an extended paddle style mag catch made & extended slide stop made? Can the trigger weight be lightened? I need to replace my Glock-17 w/ a 3.5 # trigger because the grip is too wide & my accuracy isn't what I would like it to be. They only way to correct the problem is get a different carry gun. Also s the grip narrower than the G-17?

Jack, from my understanding the QA is very similar to the Glock, ie, it is halfcocked not a true DA unless the decocker is used. I have no experience with the QA so that is just what I've read or heard.

Extremist

The Walther P99QA has approx 8lb of single stroke trigger pull. It is "Glock like" although it has a crisper snap than the Glock, which is more "mushy".

I played with one extensively at the Shot Show and still haven't decided if I want to get one. I prefer the SA/DA of the standard P99, which has a DA pull of about 11-12lb, and a SA pull of about 5lb.

If you've ever dry fired or shot a Steyr M/S series pistol, the P99QA is almost identical to them.

Oh, and yes, I think the grip is narrower and thinner, and you can adjust the backstrap to you suiting (3 sizes come with the pistol).

Regards,
James

jack_the_sailor

James I need clarification on a point. You said the standered P99 is SA/DA. The Walther web site says traditional DA which to me means DA/SA. If the standered P99 is SA/DA like a HK USP 9 C. Then can the standered P99 be carried SA cocked & locked? Is the safety/decocker on the standered P99 like the HK USP 9 C level safety off, up safety on, then level to take safety off, & down from level to decock? Or is the standered P99 safety/decocker like most put the safety on decock the pistol? If the standered P99 can be carried SA cocked & locked & the safety can be put on/off with out decocking the pistol that would rock. & if it's cheaper than a HK USP 9 C even better. On the other hand if DA/SA then P99QA would be the way to go. But I would like a DAO trigger pull under 8# more like a 4# pull.

blades67

The Walther P99 is a striker fired handgun, it can't be carried cocked and locked.

Standard Double Action (DA) and Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) describe the same trigger function. It has no bearing on a handgun capability to be carried cocked and locked, that is a function of the safety system in conjunction with an external hammer.

jack_the_sailor

Now I'm really confused. Are you saying this is a hammerless pistol? Walther USA gives tech info for a P99/P99QPQ after action it says traditional double action. For the P99QA after action it says double action only (quick action). My understanding of the terms Traditional double action means first shot DA next shot SA (DA/SA). Double action only (DAO) means every shot is DA. Both terms suggest the pistol has a hammer. Glocks are have no hammer & are called safe action because of the trigger safety. The Glock trigger pull is the same but lighter than DAO/DA yet harder than SA. If the P99 is a hammerless pistol, like the Glock, why do they make 2 different models with different listed actions? & whats the difference between traditional double action & double action only (quick action) with a Walther P99/P99QPQ & P99QA?

blades67

Double Action means that the trigger (as it is pressed) cocks the hammer, or striker, and then releases the sear to discharge to gun.

jack_the_sailor

Then why call the action traditional double action on the P99/P99QPQ & double action only (quick action) on the P99QA, if they both mean the same thing? With hamer pistols the action comes SA, DA (DA/SA), or DAO. Also James said in his post that the standered P99 is SA/DA. With out handling each pistol it's hard to understand. What I'm begining to think is the P99/P99QA is a hamerless pistol with a DA/SA trigger pull? The P99QA is a hamerless pistol with a DAO trigger pull? Why a hamerless pistol needs a DA/SA trigger pull is beyond me. At any rate can I get a P99 DAO with a consistant trigger pull of 4#?

Extremist

The Walther P99 is a DA/SA (okay so I reversed them, you got the idea) STRIKER fired HAMMERLESS pistol. It is the ONLY DA/SA striker fired pistol on the market. Walther designed it that way because of the traditional market, for police/military, the requirement for longer "safer" first trigger pull, and then subsequent shorter lighter trigger pulls. The so-called "Anti-stress trigger mechanism". It is explained quite well here: http://www.lenaburgs.net/images/p99_Cutaway.gif

BUT, they also had a traditional DAO P99, called the P990 that had a 10-12lb Double action only, no decock trigger pull. Some British police use this variant.

Not to rest on their laurels, they also designed the new P99QA to compete with agencies that wanted a "Glock". They Steyr M/S series pistols also use the "Glock" like single action light pull.

You cannot get a P99QA with a 4# trigger pull, unless you get a gunsmith to monkey with it. I've seen reports of the QA pull being as light as 5#, and as heavy as 8#.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards,
James

Last edited: