Walther P99C Range Report

ZBoater

I shot my Walther P99C 9mm today for the first time - what a sweet, sweet gun!!! It felt very smooth, recoil was very manageable, although that may be a relative impression as I fired it AFTER I shot an 18.5 oz S&W 386 revolver with .357 magnum loads. After that, anything will feel soft!!! :rolleyes:

I fired 100 rounds of Magtech 125gr and 50 rounds of Corbon 125gr +p. The Corbon was noticeably louder, more flash and kicked a little harder. I had no failures with the standard mags. I did try out the 32 round mag and, as expected, it failed miserably. It would jam every single round, and it would even jam INSIDE the mag!!!! Needless to say the mag ended up in the trash can. What a waste of $20. :mad:

I also had Mepro night sights installed, and the gun was very accurate at 16 and 21ft. For a compact, that was very comforting. The trigger pull was very smooth and easy - I had read all sorts of complaints about the trigger pull, but mine was great in both the DA first shot and subsequent SA shots. In SA, there is a long pull but extremely light.

I just got done cleaning it and it looks like new, unlike my old XD which showed wear marks on the barrel after only 50 rounds. It seems extremely well made and it was very comfortable to shoot both with and without the pinky extension, although I found I was more accurate at 21 ft with the pinky extension.

I've carried this gun a couple of times IWB with a Protech sleeve, and it is very comfortable and light. It is not as light and thin as my Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry, but definitely more comfortable than both my XD Sub Compact and H&K USP Compact. Definitely two big thumbs up for this weapon!!!

cdsdss

Big P99 fan

I've got the full-sized version with the titanium slide and you pretty much summed up my impressions of the gun. I've put close to or over a thousand rounds through it so far and there are no wear marks on the internals or the barrel.

Was it made by Walther America or Walther in Germany?
All P99s are made by Walther except for a small group of .40 cals with S&W slides and barrels. S&W had their own version, the S&W 99 with a differently contoured slide made of blackened stainless steel not carbon steel like the P99.
Walther FAQ