Walther P99

blades67

I just bought a Walther P99 Military (OD Green frame). I like the little bugger and I haven't even shot it yet! I won't get a chance to take it to the range for a few more weeks, but I would like some opinions, likes, dislikes and anecdotes from other Walther P99 owners and/or borrowers.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

Mylhouse

I wonder why this pistol hasn't caught on more than it has. I think it is a magnificent pistol that has great attributes. It shoots great for me (and my wife) and is a well finished piece of solid engineering.
The price on them has dropped down as of late and it has the unbeatable Tennifer finish, as well as second strike capability (at the very least, convenient for dryfiring).

If this means anything, a '98 issue of GunTests pitted the Walther against the Glock 17, the USP9, and the Ruger P95. They rated the P99 the best and it ate the other pistols lunch in the accuracy tests. I know other people will say that's poppycock, but it IS in print and GunTests is about as unbiased as you can get in a gun rag.

On a side note, do any of you P99 .40 owners reload for it? I don't have a Glock .40 for comparison sake, but it seems to me to have a somewhat unsupported chamber. How does the case support compare on the P99 to the Glock 22/23? Blades, if there is ONE shortcoming to this pistol (at least in .40), the chamber support might be it, but we'll see what the others have to say.

LONESOMEDOVE

I own an SW99 in 9mm and rent a P99 in 9mm on occasions at the range. I have fired around 1000 rounds through the P99 and 1900 rounds through the SW99; I find the trigger on the P99 to be smoother than the SW99. I wish I had purchased the P99 instead of the SW99. I keep this weapon in my limited arsenal (Kel Tec P11 and SW99) because it is extremely reliable. My next purchase may be a P99 in 40 S&W or Steyr M40.

DLip8

I bought a military P99 about two months ago
in 9mm and I must say it is one of the best shooting gun of it's type and I've had plenty. It's a keeper.

gunpowder

I must say I wish my SW99 was a P99 as well. Mainly because the SW part of it. Maybe I will change my feelings if S&W changes their position with the new leadership. At least mine is a preagreement gun.

KITT

I bought my walther about 4 months ago and it shoots great. Personally i think the walther looks better than the s&w. The only bad part was paying $99.99 each for the 16 rd. mags, but i had to have them.

blades67

When I bought the Walther, I was able to compare it and the SW99. The SW99 was 30$ less, but the Walther had the better trigger and the cool OD Green grip frame. After I get a chance to range test it, it may take the place of my G19 for lightweight summer carry.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

DAKODAKID

The P99 is a Glock/HK combo.....
I was disappointed with this new Walther.
I really had high hopes for this new pistole!!!
I rent them but would not own one..
I think the PPK is still the BEST Walther to date.
(The only thing I hate about the PPK is the Hollywood James Bond connection...)

Just my opinion,
don't want to start any wars over this!!!

Oak '58

My P99 is a .40, Stainless & black (QPQ)
and I love it! Great feel (w/ small backstrap installed) & a Packmyer slip-on grip. But I am looking into the Derma-Grip from Walther, it looks thinner than the Packmyer. Mine's very accurate & reliable,too. My ONLY complaint is that the trigger is a little gritty just before release - I thinks it's due to the spring in the firing pin block/safety. I'm hoping it will smooth out as more rounds are pushed thru it. But that's a small matter to me, overall I am really impressed by this gun. It was a little higher than the SW99, but I decided to go with Walther for quality, and don't regret it.
Side note to Mylhouse - I've wondered about the chamber, too. I've looked at it, & it's definitely less supported than our Kahr K40. I rarely shoot reloads, but can't see any bulges or distortions on the brass I've fired, & I've never heard mention of chamber support being a problem w/ the 99's. Hope someone out there owns & Glock & a P99 to compare for us. Safe shooting to all!

------------------
Oak
-------------------------
"Skeptical scrutiny can separate deep insights from deep nonsense."

hube1236

I have the base model, DA/SA in 40. It was purchased on looks alone.

I bought my pistol back in April. There seemed to be only a few on this board that admitted to owning this pistol. I have heard the earlier models had F2F problems. Mine did to a lesser degree also- but after the first 250 rounds, not one failure in a long time. I also cleaned and lubed the mags from the factory at the same time (a suggestion from a friend) problem went away.

The gun fits everybody's hand- a tip- take the press pin out and take the gun to the range with other people and the other grips. Everybody will have fun just trying to find the better grip.

My ONLY complaint about the pistol out of the box was the lube job on the trigger. The manual describes how to clean the stryker assy. I removed the gunk that was on it and replaced it with good ole Hoppes (will be switching to something else with teflon soon) and my shooting instantly became more productive. Try it if you have complaints with the trigger action.

Although I find this gun extremely accurate and fun to fire and double taps are the fastest with this gun versus any other I have tried, I think the rear sights are too wide. This may help in rapid aquisition, but if the gun has the capability to hit the bad guy on his third shirt button every time I pull the trigger, I would want the sights to help out.

The brass bulges and the chamber is unsupported- a big critique from your Sig and Steyr fans. You decide on reloading capability, I won't condemn a pistol manufacturer.

A few of non-Walther folks are that way because they tried them at stores as rentals. I do not know what the store does to these pistols, but when people shoot mine, the are impressed at the trigger (ok- in SA mode). I think that a clean pistol is a happy pistol and rentals just do not seem to cut it.

Happy shooting, love the Walther, it will love you back.

denfoote

My P99 was a great gun. My only complaint was that even with the smallest grip insert, it just did'nt quite fit my hand. Almost, but not quite. I had already held the (now mine :)) Glock 19 at the shop, and eventually got tired of hearing it call out to me to save it. :) I had been lured over to the dark side a couple of months earlier, so a trade was brokered. My wife just about killed me. She is a big James Bond fan!!! ;) She got over it though. :)

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

Taurus 605: Five hits of .357 MAG that will just ruin your day, Scumbag!!!!

Mike H

The P99 is just about the only 9mm I've ever fired that I didn't like, and boy did I not like it. The grip was awful, too slick and felt like a kiddies cheap plastic toy, the trigger had a longer pull than a Wishing Well. The trigger reset was too short, the guy at the rental range told me he keeps getting it handed back early because some people who have fired it thought it went full auto on them, and worst of all it was snappy for a reasonably sized 9mm. If Bond wants one he can have one, personally, I think it's a POS.

Mike H

Gremlin

I've owned my P99 in 9mm for the best part of a year and it's worked it's way into my favorite carry gun. I'd still rather shoot a CZ-75 at the range (more accurate, bigger frame) but for just tucking a gun into a shoulder holster, the P99 just feels right. I love the decocker feature and the three stage trigger.

I favor the smaller grip even though my hands are not that small; I get the feeling of complete control over the weapon when I handle it fast.

I had some problems early on with wrapping my finger too far around the trigger and it caused me some discomfort when firing consecutive shots--the trigger guard pinched my finger. But when I started using the first digit of my finger to fire the problem went away.

Easy to disassemble and clean, light to carry, pretty to look at, reliable to shoot. Count me among the happy owners.

------------------
Take the long way home...

DevinP99

I love this gun so much that I've got three of them. The P99, P99QPQ and P99 Military. All in .40. I don't know why some people think the chamber is unsupported, because I haven't found that to be the case at all. I use almost exclusively reloads in mine for the past 2 years and haven't ever had a problem. And compared to Glocks, like my dad's, you can see that the Glock is not supported, but the Walther is. The problem on the Glocks is the area in the chamber near the feed ramp. The ramp cuts into the chamber and leaves the bottom/rear of the case "unsupported". This is what causes the kB's in Glocks with reloads. I've been able to get up to 10 reloads out of my brass.
I would suggest that you practice with this gun a lot, especially if your use to other types of triggers. You'll soon learn and love this trigger system. If you like Glock's trigger, try out the new P99QA.

Devin