Walther P99?

Death from Afar

I have just been offered a mint P99. Its NIB , at a very good price ( my mate is having a divorce, and wants the weapon to go to "a good home")> I have admired it for some time, but havent shot it. It may be enough to make a manb sell his Glock. ANy one tried one?

LUPUS

P99 is one of the most underrated polymer framed pistols IMHO.
I especially like the 9mm, TDA / AS version.
User friendly, ergonomic ( some people do not like the mag release and the decocker, but their design helps a very clean surface for carry ),accurate, and reliable pistol, especially the 9 mm version.
It is one of the pistols I do most regret for selling it.
Best

LUPUS

If it is a QA version, then you have to shoot it to see whether the trigger works for you effectively, in both accuracy and speed chart.
On the other hand the biggest advantage of the AS system is being a striker fired pistol with the SA and second strike capability, that you will not get with the QA version.
Best.

ShipWreck

The P99 A/S in 9mm is my all time fav guns. I gave up on 1911s because I shoot the P99 as well or better - no point in spending $1000+ on 1911s anymore.

Great gun.

Yes, make sure U get the A/S version.

And, everyone new to the gun always asks about the mag release. U use your trigger finger, not the thumb, to operate it.

HardcoreHehaw

I have one and really enjoy shooting it, I am trying to sell it but only because I need something smaller to carry. Other than that it has been a terrific gun. No jams or problems with it after 500 rounds.

Death from Afar

Hmm good stuff. I see that there is a .22 varoent of the weapon as well, which would make a good training aid- maybe?

I read on the internet- so it must be right- that there was some concerns about frames cracking. Anyone hear anything about this?

Laserlips

100_6844.jpg

Fantastic pistol. Absolutely reliable, extremely accurate... I have the "AS" version, (traditional DA/SA).

Walther of Germany does absolutely no advertising for the fine P99's, so the only people who appreciate the P99 series of Walthers are those folks who have shot one...

Shoot one and you'll want one..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Huntergirl

Nice effect with the flowers there. The P99 AS in 40SW is one of my 2 favorite hand guns, and would be the last to go if needed. I have never tried the QA, but the AS trigger is superb. I would never go back to a glock.

CrustyFN

A friend of mine has a P99 in 9mm and one in 40 S&W. Both are awesome guns. I wouldn't recomend the P22. I know three people that own them and all three have problems.
Rusty

Laserlips

Huntress:

Wife loves flowers, son is gay... Yikes..::eek:

Ok, here's my compact in a more "manly" setting.. :D

100_6402.jpg

Now I feel more secure in my masculinity... (Such as it is). ;)

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Jason_G

Walther of Germany does absolutely no advertising for the fine P99's, so the only people who appreciate the P99 series of Walthers are those folks who have shot one...
I'm pretty sure I saw several ads in American Rifleman a while back.

Jason

RevolverLover

I remember seeing Walther ads for P99's and P99C's in the gun rags when browsing through the magazine aisle when grocery shopping with my wife.

Death from Afar

They are a pretty nice looking piece, I have to say.

So the A/s is the way to go...hmm, I have dealt with the Walther agent through work, so maybe I could get him to "hook a brother up"..and throw in a rifle as well?:)

Laserlips

Walther's Marketing in the U.S.

RevolverLover & Jason_G:

Perhaps I should have said that Walther does a very poor job of advertising to the U.S. market...

You just SELDOM (as opposed to never) see an article about Walther firearms in the firearm periodicals, and to my knowledge even more rare is a mention of the P99's found.

I did see a comment in one firearm magazine recently which was about Europeon firearms in general and a small paragraph was mentioned about how the P99's were selected by one portion of the country as the firearm of choice for their leo's.

Another firearm manufacturer I have high regard for is Bersa/Firestorm. I've always considered the Bersa/Firestorm pistols as "Walther Lite's" as it seems most of their line of firearms were designed around some of the older Walther pistols.

The Bersa/Firestorm BT9/40's heritage is the Walther P88, and mine has been absolutely excellent.. Always reliable, and very accurate.
100_4897.jpg

My understanding is that the Bersa Thunder 380 (and Firestorm FS22's) were designed around the best features of the Walther PP/PPK series.. I have the FS22, and it too has been fully reliable and very accurate..
100_5295.jpg

The only two knocks I have against the Bersa/Firestorms would be I don't think the finish is of the best quality, (altho I maintain mine quite well and have had no problems), and the price of extra magazines is very high..

But as far as function and value, I think the Bersa/Firestorms are a very good deal, and I would recommend them to anyone without reservation.. (I paid $305+tax for the BT9/UC, and $227 otd for the FS22) Lifetime warranty, very reasonable pricing....

You SELDOM see Bersa/Firestorms advertised in much the same manner of Walther P99's in the U.S.

The only place I've seen much information about the new slim 9mm Walther PPS is on the online firearm forums in general and the Walther forum in particular. In the new Walther PPS we are being offered a slim 9mm pistol that should be a cc favorite, and unless you are a gun "nut" (I are one :eek:) you probably haven't even heard of the PPS...

Somebody is asleep at the "U.S. marketing" wheel of both firearm manufacturers imo.

Crappy advertising/or lack thereoff imo on both Walther and Bersa/Firestorm..:barf:

Just my old fart opinion.. I'll get off my soap box now.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy