Walther P99 Vs PPQ Magazine question

warningshot

Question: Is a Walther 9mm, P99 magazine interchangeable with a PPQ 9mm magazine? No guessing. Posetive. Yes or No. Thanks.

sailskidrive

Definitely, as are the SW99 and Desert Eagle "Fast Action" pistol mags. I've used both, although the true Walther mags seem to be of higher quality. I believe they are made by MEC-GAR in Italy.

balance

No guessing. Posetive. Yes or No. Thanks.

The answer is maybe.

Depending on the year it was produced, it will either be interchangeable or not.

Sometime around 2008, the design of the P99 mag body was changed. I assume the P99Q, which was released in 2008, has a longer feedramp than the P99, just as the PPQ does. I assume Mec-Gar chose to incorporate this change into the mag bodies of all the 99-series mags so that they would only have to make one, so the P99 mags manufactured around 2008 and later will work, but the ones made before then will not.

The newer mags have a shorter front section to give more room for the longer feedramp.

Post #23 on this thread shows the difference:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/16356-ppq-magazine-question-3.html

Worst case scenario, if you buy older P99 mags (or if you can find them, the cheaper SW99 mags) that are not compatible, you can file the front section of the mags down so that they will mimic the newer design, and will then be compatible.

Definitely, as are the SW99 and Desert Eagle "Fast Action" pistol mags. I've used both, although the true Walther mags seem to be of higher quality. I believe they are made by MEC-GAR in Italy.

The SW99 was discontinued before the changes were made in the mag design, so they will have the taller front section and will not be interchangeable without modification. The Magnum Research mags will have the shorter front section on the mags, and will function fine without modification.

Even unmodified, there are reports of people shooting the PPQ with the older P99 and SW99 mags without failure, but I'm not sure I would recommend it unless in an emergency, since the feedramp and the front section of the mag will impact each other after every shot.

RBid

Confirming what balance said.

The orange follower on the mag is a quick indicator that you have the right magazine.