Walther P99 vs. Browning Hi-Power

twoinchgroup52

Looking to get a 40S&W pistol. Can,t decide which of the two subject guns is better. Already have a Hi-Power Standard in 9mm, so looking at the Practical or Silver Chrome. Will basically be using pistol for informal target shooting. I don't reload so I want adjustable sights. Don't care for method of elevation adjustments on Walther. However, have read alot of threads damning the Pachmeyer wrap-around grips on the Hi-Power Practical and Silver Chrome. Which of these two handguns would you choose and why?? TWOINCHGROUP.

thequickad

I have never owned a highpower. But I have owned both Walther P99 for 9mm and 40SW. I can tell you it is one of the most comfortable gun to hold and it shoots beautifully. Not to mention this is a brand new design with many user friendly features. Sure the high-power is a great legend. But would you go back to a car without radial tires? Old things must come to pass to make ways for better and improved technology & desgins.

People use radials because they out perform bias ply tires. The Hi-Power is still around because it still performs as well as anything else. Sorry, but I just couldn't let that one pass. :)

------------------
TJS

thequickad

Don't take me wrong, I have a lot of respect for John Browning's designs. I am in no way putting the Highpower down. But technology do improve and we have a lot of good talents since the highpower days. My analogy is that Highpower works, but it lacks many of the features of the P99. Each generation of firearms do try to improve on the previous generation. I prefer the P99 because it has many sound improvements.

Sambonator

I don't have any experience with the Hi-Power, but I can give you some stats, and some opinions.

Technical Specs:
1. P99 is 10 oz. lighter than the Hi-Power (25 oz. vs. 35 oz., meaning the HP weighs 40% more!).
2. P99 is more compact, making is easier for concealed carry (7" vs 7.75" length, 1.2" vs 1.375" width).
3. P99 has a shorter barrel (4" vs. 4.75", probably means slightly reduced muzzle velocity with the P99).
4. P99 is a newer, more modern design, with excellent ergonomics (probably the best grip in the business).
5. P99 lacks an external safety "switch." Although it has many internal safety features, it can ALWAYS be fired by pulling the trigger, when the chamber is loaded.
6. P99 is more expensive ($799 list vs. about $670? list)

Opinions:
1. P99 is the best looking of the new polymer frame pistols. I don't think the HP has very good aesthetic qualities.
2. Smith&Wesson SW99 is a better value than the P99. But I personally like the look, fit and finish of the P99 better (they are basically the same pistol).
3. P99 trigger is 5+ lbs in single-action...too heavy for comfortable target shooting. It also has, what seems to me, excessively long trigger-travel, in both single and double action modes (this may be intentional, in order to "make up" for a lack of an external safety). I'm getting the trigger on my P99 in 9mm worked on right now to both smoothen and lighten the trigger (both single and double-action), to under 4lbs in single action mode.
4. Lack of an external hammer takes a little getting-used-to. Cocking the "hammer" after you "decock" it, is awkward, requiring you to pull back on the slide about 3/8". This is a bit cumbersome, and it takes some practice before you can reliably do this without pulling too much and accidentally ejecting the round in the chamber. Its probably best to fire the 1st round in double-action mode and forget about cocking it, after you use the decocker.
5. The Walther name is more prestigious than Browning. (In my mind, whenever I think of Browning, I think of good sporting O/U shotguns. "Walther" says "Top quality pistols.")

I would definitely pick the P99 over the HP. However, if you have a lot of experience with the HP already, I'd probably recommend that over the P99, since you'll be much more familiar with its handling characteristics. But variety is always nice! :)

[This message has been edited by Sambonator (edited September 11, 1999).]

Jeff OTMG

I have the BHP .40 Practical, I also have a reg 9mm BHP and a GP Comp. Newer is not necessarily better. My GP Comp has the altered trigger geometry that Bill Laughridge has made available to all HP's and pulls at just under 3 lbs. VERY crisp also. No Walther trigger will touch it. The .40 Cal BHP is the softest shooting .40 that most people have ever shot, I put the Sprinco reducer in mine anyway and it is even softer. Grips can be changed. If you don't like rubber for carry, I don't, I put Behlert or Craig Speigel panels, checkered front strap, checkered backstrap. You need to have the checkering done at 30 or even 40 lpi, I like the 40 myself. Many people think the BHP has the best grip in the business, I agree, followed closely by the CZ-75. As far as concealable, the Walther may be lighter, but I find the height of a pistol harder to hide. I am surprised that the BHP is thicker through the slide, important when you use an IWB holster like me but it is only .175". The grip (height) is shorter, that is the part that sticks out on a gun making it print. You get the same nice SA trigger pull shot to shot, click the safety on, click the safety off. No decock, no DA then SA. Some armies still use the BHP, 65 years after its introduction.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
scott90501 - Cork the Glockenspiel stuff. The question was between the two mentioned above... I mean - I didn't give my patented HK response did I?

If you already have a Browning in 9 - you may want variety and go with the Walther this time... But then again you wouldn't look as good when your pulling a John Woo and double gunning...

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Tom B

I own 3 HPs and have owned both P99s. (thequickad - I also made radial tires for Michelin for 20 years ha ha). They are both great pistols but I give the edge to Browning because of accuracy, reliability and overall feel. I like the 9mm best. I like the grip on the practical but I have large hands. Spegal grips are thinner and work better for small hands.

thequickad

I have also heard that most of the new factory Highpowers have an extremely heavy trigger for "politically correctness", something like 11lb for single action.

Looks like we have a lot of good opinions on the Highpower and I respect that. But I am a leading eade kind of guy and I am looking to get the SW99 also to complete my P99 collection.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Greetings, all. I'd go with the HP, but then I'm prejudiced because of all the years of grand shooting I've done with them. I'm sure the P99 is a fine handgun as well, but there's no doubt in my mind that I'd go with the HP. Best to all and good shooting.

Ewok

16rd. mags are available, but expensive. Now that we have search capability, you should have no trouble finding the info.

thequickad

16-rd 9mm mags for P99 are available from KY Imports (502)244-4400 for $99 a piece. Actually I believe this is the only place that has them, if you have other info, please post.

thanks!

thequickad

You can thank the Clintons and the Bradies for that.
Let's not forget many of the Republican Congressman voted for it as well. It passed by only one vote.

So its $34 for 10-rd or $99 for 16-rd.

zot

for any spectacular improvements that the
Walther P99 has, it still doesn't justify such a high price tag compared to a Browning,
2 or 3 HPs for the price of a P-99? build or have a smith build a quality HP for you, alot
more parts available for HPs,Ruger P-93 in
.40 is a deal too. zzz:]

thequickad

Where do you get your prices from?

The HP practical sells between $450 to $500
The P99 sells between $525 and $600

How can you get two to three HP for the price of one P99?