Walther P99 vs. Beretta 92

Which is better?

• Walther P99

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • Beretta Model 92

Votes: 31 41.9%

• Total voters

glockmpw

Neck and neck in the pole, interesting. I just bought a Model 92 and have been very happy with it. Having said that, the P99's I've handled have consistently had one of the best trigger resets I have ever seen, short but positive. You might have a harder time finding holsters to fit the Walther, especially if you prefer unorthodox carry methods or are left handed. Basically, if someone makes holsters for full size semi-autos, they make them for Glocks and Berettas. Walthers can be hit or miss.

Mastrogiacomo

I don't think much of Walther's trigger and don't find the gun to be as capable as the Beretta. Probably why I have seven Berettas and one Walther P99.....don't get me wrong, the Walther is a nice gun and I'm glad to have it but if I had to give one up - no way in Hell I'd part with the Beretta.

TiP99

they are not realy in the same class. Carry or plinking? Do you want steel or polymer. Answer those questions and the choice is early.

michael t

None of the above. Go buy a good 1911A! Colt,springer or S&W they fit you hand and are better for carry But if you must have one of those get the Beretta least it looks like a pistol and isn't plastic

Snick91

I'd say go with the 92. I just recently purchased one and it's fantastic. Very accurate and reliable. However, if I were you, I would try both of them out to see which one you like better.

denfoote

Here's 1000 words.

WaltherP99.jpg

;) :cool: :D

michael t

1000 words don't need that many. :barf:
That makes a Glock look pretty :D
thats why they make many many different pistoles in this world.

STAGE 2

The P99 WILL fit your hand better
The P99 WILL be more accurate
The P99 WILL be easier to carry/conceal

If you want a canoli maker the get the 92. If you want a gun thats "hollywood approved" then get the 92.

If you want some fantastic german craftmanship (disclaimer - S&W99's are crap as well, get an all german made walther) then get yourself a P99

STAGE 2

How do you know that? Everybody is different and likes differen't sidearms better than others.

Well, accuracy and concealibility are independent of someone's "likes". The Walther is smaller thus making it easier to conceal, and will 99% of the time print smaller groups than the beretta.

As for fitting the hand better, unless beretta did something that I didn't know of, the 92 doesnt have any interchangable back straps. Thus either it fits or it doesnt. The Walther, on the other hand, has the capability of molding itself to fit the grip preference of the shooter. As a result there is a greater likelihood that it will fit someones hand than the 92.

I'm sure that there are some people that like the beretta better than the walther. However i'm sure there are more people that like the walther better than the beretta.

litework

Well, accuracy and concealibility are independent of someone's "likes". The Walther is smaller thus making it easier to conceal, and will 99% of the time print smaller groups than the beretta.

I seriously doubt the Walther will "print" smaller groups than the Beretta. Unless by print, you mean scores that are "pencil whipped." Find ammo your gun likes and, regardless of make, you'll get smaller groups. Carrying and concealing can be very different. The 92FS has been carried by police officers and military personel for years. I wouldn't carry a Walther concealed at all and would have to find a way to conceal the Beretta if these were my only two options. Opinions vary.

As for fitting the hand better, unless beretta did something that I didn't know of, the 92 doesnt have any interchangable back straps. Thus either it fits or it doesnt. The Walther, on the other hand, has the capability of molding itself to fit the grip preference of the shooter. As a result there is a greater likelihood that it will fit someones hand than the 92.

Unfortunatley for Walther, they do not have adjustable front straps to rid the pistol of the unnecessary finger grooves. Many people find the Beretta 92 FS to be a very well balanced gun, whose center of gravity does not change as the magazine becomes lighter.

DH-
Folks are going to give accolades to the pistols they own. The two pistols you're looking at are completely different. It should be pretty easy to pick one when you decide what you want in the gun. If you want something smaller with backstraps, perhaps you should try out the PX4. It's cheaper and more comparable to the Walther.

STAGE 2

I seriously doubt the Walther will "print" smaller groups than the Beretta. Unless by print, you mean scores that are "pencil whipped." Find ammo your gun likes and, regardless of make, you'll get smaller groups. Carrying and concealing can be very different. The 92FS has been carried by police officers and military personel for years. I wouldn't carry a Walther concealed at all and would have to find a way to conceal the Beretta if these were my only two options. Opinions vary.

The walther is a more accurate pistol out of the box. The beretta may be a reliable pistol but it has never been accused of being a tack driver. This has nothing to do with "scores" and everything to do with the size of the groups on the paper.

As for being carried by police and military personel that could be as much a thumbs down as a thumbs up. I'd be willing to bet that the defining factor had more to do with dollar signs than anything else. As it is now there are many complaints from troops who have used the M9 and from what I hear its on its way out.

Greg Bell

The Walther is a wonderful gun. It has a 4 inch barrel in a very compact package. It is small enough for CCW; it has a very high standard of fit and finish; it has better ergonomics for 95% of users.

That said, the Beretta is nice too.