Walther P99-the best?

defox

Hi Fellows,

The P99 can be called the 'have it all' gun. Compact, sleek, snag-free, ambidextrous, light, high capacity, stylish, ergonomics, adjustable grips, etc. etc. At its inception there were however reliability issues with it. especially the .40 S&W. I figure these problems have been resolved. Do you think that the P99 is the best out of the box pistol today?

Rovert

Defox, I shy away from using absolutes, because no one gun is all things to all people, but I do think that if one were to evaluate the P99 across the board, it would rank right up there among 'best of breed' in just about every category.

Paochow

I researched long and hard before, I purchased my first firearm, a P99 in 9mm. I definitely do not regret my decision. A very well rounded pistol in all categories.

Attachments

• p99reload.jpg
    p99reload.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 252

PATH

While the P99 is an excellent pistol I believe Sig and H&K are also good. Oh, for the Glock crowd, your gun is okay as well!:D

Chris D

Great, gun!!!! I have a 9mm and use to have a James Bond edition .40 (sold it for good $$).

It's my play gun (i have smaller pistols for carry), I highly recomend it.

Check out the linked threads for the mag/clip issue...

JMC

I have two P99's. Both are the military model.
One is a 9mmx19 and the other .40 S&W and they are both of the traditional DA/SA trigger design.
I intend to buy a third shortly, an all black model but haven't decided which caliber.
I own a lot of handguns and have owned even more.
I don't know if I would say the P99 is "the best" but it is right up there with the best of them.
I have found both my guns to be of a smoother DA than any HK, Beretta, S&W or SIG that I have ever fired or owned.
The 4 front sight inserts allow the shooter/owner to adjust for nearly any load available.
The grip inserts allow shooters with all sizes of hands to have a comfortable grip.
The all steel rear sight is simple, rugged and holds it's zero.
I shot my .40 S&W side by side with my G23 with the same ammo. The P99 has less felt recoil. I'm not recoil sensitive, just an observation.
My .40 S&W P99 has replaced my G27 and G23 as my choice for a daily carry weapon.
The first day I fired my 9mmx19 I put 770 rounds of various mfgs. and bullet styles thru it without a single malfunction of any kind.
I feel that anyone who buys a Walther P99 will be well served with this pistol.

Catbird

My next gun will be a Walther P99. Do any of you prefer the QA trigger over the standard DA/SA? I dry fired a QA a few weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised.

adept

i would suggest getting the standard DA/SA configuration, i've just found this to be better. i currently have the 9mm and want another...something about the concept of doing a john woo style practice with a pair of p-99s. just something about that image.

anyway, i digress.

Adept

Catbird

I don't really mean to wander off-topic, but I heard the rumor a couple of months ago that the P99 would be offered in .45 ACP in the "not too distant future".... FACT or FICTION ?

branrot

The P99 is definately up there as one of the best all around guns. Possibly my choice for a gun if I could only have one (either that or the Glock 19). My only problems were finding a good holster (this was a while back, and more may be available now, though I found an excellent one eventually), and I did have some FTE's with S&B ammo (though that same ammo jammed my buddies Glock 17 too). Great gun.

VonFatman

I'm real happy with mine. It's never let me down. I've had it since July 2000. If I had to do it over again, I'd have purchased the 9mm over the .40...but that is really a personal choice, not a result of the gun's a features.
I can not see how anyone could go wrong owning one. Mine is not for sale...it's very accurate!
VF

P99

I like it so much that I've got 6 of them. :D

However all of mine are .40's :)

I've got all the different colors. I like the military the best however. Just personal choice. However I do carry the QA.

P99 the best? Almost. For me my P88 full size wins that battle.

P99

denfoote

Deadly accuracy, great looks, slim, effortless to clean......

Mine is definately a keeper..

Yeah, that just about says it all.
As touching the standard capacity mag question, I have two. They came from Earl's :D Yes, they are legal 16rd magazines!!!:cool: