Walther p99 hard to find?

Axion

I was calling around and two local gun shops both told me that they are having a hard time getting any Walther p99's. What's up with this? The only place I've found that has them is Sportsman's warehouse and they have then for $570. So my real questions are.
1) Is $570 a good price for a P99 or should I keep looking
2) Is this shortage something temporary, ie: if I wait will they become easier to find, and thus maybe cheaper, or not.

I'm in Arizona BTW.

ShipWreck

Anything below $600 is a decent price on this gun. I paid $565 for my last one - a fullsize A/S.

Yes, they are a bit hard to find - especially the preferred A/S models. Many people on HandgunForum.net has been ordering P99s from Bud's - because they had many in stock at a decent ptice.

fattsgalore

Ship is the man when it comes to the P99 so listen to him.

As for availability they don't sell as well as say more known guns such as Glock; or Sig. And peopel don't want to spend 500 to 600 for a gun they've never heard of. Shop around what ever area your in you'll find one.

I'm in Central Florida and haven't had any problems finding one.(in the various finishes or triggers they come in) Price varys, I've seen them on a clearance rack for as low a $398 before tax and have seen them as high as $680.

Also if you still cant find one, Smith&Wesson make one called the SW99 so ask for that one also.(literally the same gun, just with S&W on it)

Axion

I can get one of the SW99's for under 500 locally and the p99 for under 600 locally. I like the look and feel of the Walther over the SW version enough that I'd pay the extra $100 for it.

So all in all it seems that If I can get one for 570 local that's about as good as I'm gonna do right? I see buds has them for 525 but how much will an FFL transfer fee be?

Oh and, do they still make the AS? I was told that Walther discontinues those models.

HorseSoldier

Anti-Stress trigger is the way to go if you want one. Once it cocks into single-action mode it's about the best trigger on a striker fired pistol I've ever handled.

Side note, does anyone know of a source for the original 16 round magazines?

ShipWreck

Generally - if U order online - U still have to pay shipping for the gun. And, your local dealer will charge U a fee to do the transaction - typically $25. So, depending on the shipping charge (it may be $25 or more), U can add at least $50 to the price.

So, if U can find it for $570 in your area, I'd buy that. It's a sure deal, and U can look at it first and inspect for scratches and other problems.

It would have to be a hell of a savings or something I just could NOT find locally before I'd buy w/o seeing the gun 1st.

greenred

A few years ago, Walther had won a huge contract with the state government of the german state Northrhine-Westfalia to supply the entire police force of the state (in Germany, the police is state business) with the P99 in DAO . The state had ordered 40.000 P99. A legal dispute about the contract followed, but Walther ultimately prevailed in court.

Since late 2005/early 2006, these pistols are being delivered to the cops. Therefore, it might be possible that sales to civilians have not been high on Walthers agenda, and supply of the P99 might have dried up a bit in the USA in the last couple of months. Walthers primary concern are their government/LE sales & contracts as a spokesperson for the company said in an article for a german newsmagazine a few months ago.

Dewhitewolf

Walther no longer imports pistols to the US. All Walthers now sold in the US are made by Smith & Wesson under license from Walther, under the name Walther USA.

The reason I know this is because I wanted to purchase a Walther P99 a few years ago, and the only ones I could find were the ones made in the US (Walther USA). I've had negative experiences before with S&W semi-autos, so I don't trust the Walthers that they make. If I'm going to buy a Walther, I want one made in Germany (where they pride themselves on precision engineering).

If you find a Walther pistol around $600, I'd call it a good buy. When I was shopping around, I found them to be closer to $700.

ShipWreck

Walther no longer imports pistols to the US. All Walthers now sold in the US are made by Smith & Wesson under license from Walther, under the name Walther USA.

The reason I know this is because I wanted to purchase a Walther P99 a few years ago, and the only ones I could find were the ones made in the US (Walther USA). I've had negative experiences before with S&W semi-autos, so I don't trust the Walthers that they make. If I'm going to buy a Walther, I want one made in Germany (where they pride themselves on precision engineering).

If you find a Walther pistol around $600, I'd call it a good buy. When I was shopping around, I found them to be closer to $700.

No offense, but this simply is NOT true. S&W made some slides for the Walther P99 for a very short period of time. There are not any of these around. The P99s sold are 100% GERMAN. They also have the german proof mark. They are simply stamped "S&W" on the slide because US law states that the importer must be listed on the gun. S&W is not making these guns.

They DID make their own version - the SW99 and SW990 - but they have a totally different slide, and are marked as a S&W weapon. The SW99 was discontinued at the end of 2005, and the SW990L is no longer listed in the S&W 2007 catalog - so I assume that has been discontinued as well.

greenred

Glad to hear that the P99 are 100% german :cool: as I have been told (no personal experience though) that the SW99 had some "reliability issues"

Last edited:

Laserlips

I wouldn't be spreading the rumor that S&W is producing the P99's.. Those folks in Germany, who really make 'em, are kinda touchy..

My P99c/AS and P99/AS have German proof marks all over 'em, and just because American laws require the importer to have his name on it someplace doesn't mean they mfg' it.

The SW99's aren't all "pure", and that has caused some mis-information regarding the series in relation to the all-German P99's.

FWIW my buddy has a SW99 in 9mm and absolutely loves it. When he and I shoot head to head the accuracy seems about the same between my P99 and his SW99. Of course keep in mind what you have here is two old farts who can't shoot worth a crap anyway.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

yomama

I bought a p22, and love it. Everyone said it was a potmetal gun, but I bought it for 200, two years back, and now i am seeing them for 300. Love the walther p series.

HardcoreHehaw

WOW!!! I guess I got mine at a steal.
Brand new with 2 mags and case at the gun show for $449.
Its in .40 though, should that matter?