Walther p99 compact?

JKump

What experience does anyone have with the Walther P99 compacts? Thinking of one for the Wife.:eek: I have a dealer that can order me one for around $550. Any info would help.

tharmer

Don't know what kind of experience you're looking for, but I have one. Bought it for CCW. I bought the A/S version (basically DA/SA with decocker).

It's very accurate, reliable (no failures of any kind in 1000 rds), used it for my three-day Self Defense class. Easy to clean, slim, 10 rd capacity.

Only drawback is that it's a bit snappy with strong 9mm rounds. My hands get tired after 100 or so rounds at a time.

Other than that, it's a very nice gun, IMO. If it got stolen, I'd buy another just like it.

-terry

Apparently not made any more, but if you find a SW99c it's basically the same gun with a different shape in the slide. (Frame is pure Walther). Mine is a DA/SA with decocker as well. Wonderful little 9mm. You'll like it.

ZBoater

You can still find Walther P99Cs. I just some at Impact Guns. The good thing about the 9mm is that its 100% built in Germany. Head on over to the Walther FAQ page for a TON of info and pics:

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/

I absolutely love this gun. It is accurate and very manageable in 9mm. I have recently switched to a Glock 26 for CCW. They are very similar in size, 10rds each. The P99C can take the P99 15rd mags and they sell sleeves (a guy from Germany sells them on eBay) for the mags to cover the part that sticks out.

My only complaint was weight distribution - the P99C felt a little top heavy. I also needed the pinky finger extension on the mag (also do on the G26). The decocker is a nice feature, but without a manual safety there is little difference between that and a Glock. If a manual safety is important to you, that aint it.

Laserlips

100_6402.jpg

100_6363.jpg

100_6536.jpg

100_6537.jpg

P99c/AS: Without a doubt the finest pistol, as a package, I've ever owned.
Fantastic accuracy, 100% reliability, excellent grip ergonomics (backstrap options included). Visual red "loaded" indicator, and visual red "chamber loaded" indicator. Dual mag rlse incorporated into bottom of trigger guard, w/ drop free mags. Flush mounted decocker, top rear/left slide. Quick reset, 2nd strike capable. Windage screw adjustable, elevation adjustable by replacable front sights, incld.

I'm not anti-Glock as I had two G26's in the past. But, FOR ME, the grip is light years an improvement over the blocky Glock 26 grip. The "AS" trigger model offers DA@8.8lbs/SA@4.4lbs, and "AS" (anti-stress/long trigger travel SA mode)@4.4lbs.

I am so pleased with the P99c/AS that I recently purchased a new P99/AS full size... I prefer the 10+1 compact for cc, and the 15+1, (or 16+1) of the full size P99 for home defense.

Whoever is in charge of advertising for the Walther Company in Germany should be fired as apparent no effort whatsoever is being made to market the fine P99's in America.

The pictured photo of the P99c/AS & target was taken of the first mag. fired thru my P99c/AS right out of the box. I was just trying to discern what adjustments were necessary and none were. The target was shot from only 5', (self defense range from which distance I do all of my practice with my cc firearms), standing two-handed. The first round was fired DA and impacted higher than the rest.

I can guarantee you the P99c/AS, or even the slightly larger full sized P99/AS will be capable of much greater accuracy than you will be capable of taking advantage of. Simply the most accurate pistol(s) I've ever had the pleasure to fire...

Previously to the purchase of the P99c/AS my cc weapon of choice was a Sig P239 I've owned for over ten years. My Sig was always accurate and 100% reliable, but the qualities of the P99c/AS have relegated the fine Sig to the shelf...

To be honest I still use the Sig for nighttime duty as it is Crimson Trace Lasergrip equipped, but iron sights to iron sights the Walther is simply more accurate, has a better trigger/striker and more fun to shoot to boot..

The holster pictured is my FIST Kydex IWB.. Extremely thin, looks like crap, works perfectly.. Function over form. ($34.95). I'm well pleased with the FIST Kydex holster.

I do recommend the 9mm, and the "AS" (Anti-stress) versions..

Getcha' one!

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

HardcoreHehaw

Well you said any info so i'll post...
I bought the P99 from a local gunshow on Sunday. I was able to get it for $449 which is a steal. Seing as how used ones go for over 500 on gunbroker, then you have to pay shipping and FFL.
If the price from the dealer includes all tax and background checks I'd say go for it. I've heard nothing but good things about the P99 which is why I bought one.
I know I couldn't find one locally for that price.
I get to pick it up tommorow, then we'll see how it shoots. Good luck on whatever you decide.

HardcoreHehaw

Ohh sorry, I didn't see you said compact, the one I bought was a fullsize.
I don't know of the price differences between the two.

Duxman

I have a full sized AS and it is probably my favorite handgun. Been thinking about a P99c - thanks for helping my decision making process.

HorseSoldier

My fullsize AS was my favorite polymer framed gun. Sold it last (after the Glock and the USP) when I finally gave into the dark side and decided I just preferred metal frames.

Never had any stoppages or any other kind of issues with my P-99, still kind of miss it.

Tony C

P99c/as

I owned the P99C/AS (De-cocker) in the S&W .40 and found it to be a flawless loading, extremely accurate handgun as others here have reported. My only two dislikes were first, as an American I want a mag release that is a button on the side of the firearm instead of part of the trigger guard. I got used to it, but would have changed that if I could have, and second, although I am a long time shooter, the recoil snap with the .40 made it hard for me to get back on target with a second shot in a reasonable time without a death-grip on the handgun, having large hands didn't help.

Good firearm, suggest the 9mm.

Tony C.

ZBoater

The 3rd generation G26 has an improved grip with finger grooves, but I would still give the edge to the P99C grip. The problem is the P99C is a bit top heavy, where the G26 feels more balanced. They are equal in the perceived recoil department (imo), and the G26 is a little bit better at concealing. With a Pearce grip you can do 12+1 in 9mm, giving it another edge. Having owned both, I decided to replace the P99C as my daily carry with the G26. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either - both are EXCELLENT guns.