Walther P99/.40S&W 12 magazines

JMC

Due to the many questions that have been asked about the legallity of the Walther P99/.40S&W 12 round standard capacity non-LE/Restricted magazines, I decided to ask ATF directly for a answer on them.

Surprised as I was, I recived an answer in only a few days and here it is:

Mr.XXXXXXX: Thank you for visiting ATF's Website. As stated on our site, generally, we do not answer technical questions via e-mail, but I contacted our Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) and was advised the following:

"A magazine manufactured after September 13, 1994, having a capacity of more than 10 rounds, is a "large capacity ammunition feeding device" as that term is defined in section 921(a)(31) of Title 18, United States Code. Transfer and possession of a "large capacity ammunition feeding device" is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. section 922(w). Since the 12 round Walther P99 .40 S&W mags were made after September 13, 1994, they are prohibited. "

If you have any further questions, please call them on 202-927-7910. Regards,

So, there we have it. They are not legal in the US. ;)

I have more info on my web site with an answer from Carl Walther GmbH on the subject.

Last edited:

schild

The urban legend is that the 9mm mags are legal. If they aren't I don't think I'll be getting rid of mine.

P99

Suposedly the 9mm standard mags are legal, because the P99 was in this country before September 13, 1994 in disguise as the original name for the pistol. The H.L.P. or Hammer Less Pistol.

KPS

So does this mean that all the companies selling 12rd .40 P-99 magazines are felons and turning us into felons for buying them?

JMC

I believe the "legallity" of the 9mmx19 16 round unmarked magazines has been addressed sufficiently here and on other boards, over and over.

This current info pertains to the unmarked P99 12 round .40 S&W mags. Let's attempt to stay on course here.

So does this mean that all the companies selling 12rd .40 P-99 magazines are felons and turning us into felons for buying them?

All I can suggest is that you read Title 18 U.S.C. ;) I believe ATF has spelled it out in very short terms for all.