Walther P99 40?

Hey guys, I've got an opportunity to buy a Walther P99 40 from my dad. The gun is new in box, never fired, about 18 months old. He's got 4 11 round magazines to go with it. He wants $500 for the gun. What do you guy's think of this gun, and is it a good buy? My gut tells me to "buy it"!. I'm just looking for input on this gun, reliability, accuracy, durability, ect. Thanks.:D

abercrombie6704

How could your dad have a fine looking gun like that just sitting around nib for that long? I would have a hell of alot of wwb through that thing the first day I got it. Well since its your dad tell em to give it to you for a early bday present..lol I would buy it, From what Ive read about them, they are a nice gun, pretty expensive though I think new they are around 700

jacklord

I just purchased the P99c .40 about a month ago after doing a lot of research (and with help from guys on this board). For that price and with the extra mags, that's a bargain. I bought mine for $570. Threw about 300 rounds so far, no problems whatsoever.

The only issues I have, well, not even issues, but things I would change if I could, would be the magazine release on the gun. It's ambidextrous and right by the trigger which I'm not too crazy about just for safety reasons.

The other is the plastic sights; I'm looking for nights sights now, preferably steel. With that said, I haven't had them fly off or anything, but don't want them too either.

The last is the decocking feature; it's a little awkward and unlike my service weapon(Beretta) when you decock the P99, you have to rack the slide 1/8" to put it back into firing mode. Whereas with the Beretta, the decocker is a lever; you just have to flick the lever to put it back to firing mode. I never carry it decocked for just that reason but.....

All said, it's a great gun so far, good looking, light weight, sad part is I'm more accurate at 25 yards with it then my service gun.

NedreckSavant

awesome gun, good price, that's a lot of mags at 40 bux a pop...get it, won't be dissapointed. And remember, bond had that gun in the last movie.

PS: and learn how to detail strip the slide

bclark1

i've got a p99 .40, i like it a lot but i passed it up the family tree to take care of everybody else, since everyone i've taken out with it has shot it pretty well. i'm a big fan. the only problem i've ever been made aware of is that i'm not entirely sure the casehead is completely supported so if you reload it could become an issue in time, but i've heard glocks and a lot of other manufacturers have similar issues. i paid over $500 for mine, but i bought it right after S&W took over the importing, so it was while it was all fairly new. i think it was well worth it. 11 round mags though? i've got 10 and 12 rounders (got 2 for free from the manufacturer after clinton's AWB expired, that was a nice perk), never heard of the others. they've got good customer service, too. i blew out the buttplates to two of the mags, and also had the barrel exchanged (at the recommendation of a law enforcement armorer i know who was concerned about the casehead support), and all of it was handled quickly and at no expense to me.

shield20

WHat trigger model is it? I like the QA - paid near $600 for mine - extra mags are $39 a piece. Great pistol.

Hey Jacklord - I end up dropping the mag using both thumb and trigger finger now - sort of got into it with the HK, which release wasn't as solid as the P99 - works pretty well!

Duxman

XD,

I own the P99 .40 in Green and I love it. Its my winter carry gun - probably the best ergonomically designed pistol in the world. Feels like it is part of your hand.

Fired over 1000 rounds through it without any issues. It is also deadly accurate as well as reliable. Very natural pointing weapon.

I prefer the AS version over the QA version though, much smoother trigger.

That is a good buy, go for it.