Walther P5

BlueTrain

I have one of these interesting handguns that ejects the wrong way. Anyone else here have one?

Do you have a holster for it? Custom? Walther holster? And have you bought anything from the official Walther website (carlwalther.com)? And finally, how does it handle hollowpoints?

Bart Noir

Only Walthers eject to the left, but not the PP model. Models before and after the PP are left-chucking bottomfeeders.

I almost bought a P5 last weekend at the gunshow, but a little try-it with magazines showed that the P38 mags do not fit in the P5. Almost, so close, but it didn't fit.

Bart Noir
Who likes to have more than 2 mags for a gun.

Cliff47

I picked up one weekend before last. Loved the feel and heft. Almost added a Walther P1 to keep it company this last weekend.

While I'm thinking of it, do the magazines interchange between the P5 and the P1/P38?

lechiffre

Anyone else here have one?

i do. it is my favorite da/sa single stack 9mm.

Do you have a holster for it?

nope

have you bought anything from the official Walther website (carlwalther.com)?

not yet. earl's repair service is the other walther importer (other than S&W). he is THE source for all things walther (german only)

While I'm thinking of it, do the magazines interchange between the P5 and the P1/P38?

no the p5 magazine is slightly shorter than the p38 magazine. also the p5 magazine has a magazine catch cut-out near the bottom. p38 magazines can be modified to work in the p5 by adding the cut-out. they will stick out slightly.

one of the requirements of the german police trials that led to the p5,p6,and p7 was a hight limit. the p5 and p6 have somewhat short grips in order to accommodate that limit.

there was a rare variation of the p5 the p1a1 that had i slightly longer grip. it used standard p38 magazines

And finally, how does it handle hollowpoints?

mine has been 100%

BlueTrain

I was afraid I was the only one that had one and liked it. It was Earl's Repair Service that I was referring to and it seems to be the only source for several things P5. It is fairly thick through the slide, like many other automatics, but doesn't seem especially heavy. I like things that are different and that's why my favorite 1911s are .38 Supers.

How do you like the magazine release, by the way?

Chesster

Being a lefty, I love the "wrong side" eject. I use a generic type holster for mine. Mags are hard to come by but I have 3 factory and several ProMags (never been a fan of promag but when it is the only game in town) which so far have functioned reliably. I try not to get too fancy with JHPs and stick to the Rem-UMC 115gr JHP.

My other short Walther 9mm is a chopped P1

kurtz.jpg

P5 Guy

Had a P5compact

And used it for CCW. Had a IWB holster from Andrew's Custom Leather. Only problem I ever had with ammo was Corbons. Neither of my Walthers would go into battery with those bullets.
One failure to feed when the pistol was brand new with Rem Golden Sabers.
MHO that's a pretty pricey gun for CCW. If it ever gets used as personal protection, are you going to be happy with it sitting in the evidence locker? That's why I switched to a Glock 26 for CCW.
P5 Guy