Walther P22 vs Sig Mosquito

jonas_357

Hi!

All is in the title! Any experience, advice, or so? I know that they're not exactly in the same category: the Mosquito is a full size steel gun while the P22 is a compact polymer one… But both are combat rimfire guns…

Which one do you prefer?

Regards

Jonas

PaulBk

I can't speak for the Sig as I haven't ever shot one, but count me in the happy P-22 owners category. Mine has been flawless for 3 years and is the ultimate trainer/first gun/plinker. I use the 3 1/2" barrel and can make a tennis ball dance at 10-15 yards. It is not by any means a target gun.

-PB

Hans

Of the two, and I have owned both, I would personally prefer the P22. I like the Mosquito, and I sold the P22 to a friend who wanted something less expensive to shoot. Kinda wish I had it back, but he is enjoying it. For straight plinking, I just like the lighter weight and smaller size of the P22. Plus it had a better trigger. I do think the Mosquito is nice if you have larger hands, which I do, but I still didn't mind the small size of the P22. Try to handle both and see which you like better.

wolverine350

Me and my wife bought pistols the same day , she bought the P22 and i bought the Mosquito, went to range, the little P22 function and performed flawlessly, while my Sig Mosquito on the other hand sucked, it jammmed, failed to feed, failed to load and also had some misfires, if that should tell you anything about which seems to be a better gun, is in the process of going back to Sig and being repaired or replaced :mad:

bennnn

I've got a P22, it's great.. It's picky about ammo, and if you limp wrist it even a little, it'll have all kinds of FTF...

I can't leave that on the internet without telling you that these are not COMBAT pistols..... Ask around... Combat+Rimfire=Joke.....

But both are combat rimfire guns…

No.. A silenced rimfire can be an assassins tool, but it has no place in any type of combat.... You'd end up looking like Swiss cheese......

AK103K

I have both, and both have been fun, reliable pistols. The SIG does have a heavier DA trigger, but its not a big deal if your accustomed to shooting DA. With a little practice, you dont even notice it. Both have fed anything I've put in them and both are running on the spring that came installed in the gun.

Of the two, the SIG "feels" better in my hand, but the P22 isnt bad. They are not target pistols, but both are capable of decent accuracy, and plenty accurate for plinking and general shooting fun.

ffxmike

the mosquito isn't steel. (at least, mine isn't, and I haven't seen any non-polymer ones)

Both are polymer. I like the way my mosquito feels in my hand vs the p22, but after some break in, haven't had problems with either.

G-Cym

I can't speak for the Sig as I haven't ever shot one, but count me in the happy P-22 owners category. Mine has been flawless for 3 years and is the ultimate trainer/first gun/plinker. I use the 3 1/2" barrel and can make a tennis ball dance at 10-15 yards. It is not by any means a target gun.

I agree. The P22 is a great first gun. It's manual of arms, function, and look is just like that of a full size auto. A lot of .22s don't look and act like normal guns.

Te Anau

Unfortunately,both are inexpensive guns being sold at a premium to status conscious buyers.If you gave me one of either it would be on consignment in two seconds.:barf:

RV4driver

My wife has the P22. It was a royal p.i.t.a. until I cut about 1/4" of the spring off. Now it will behave with CCI MiniMags, but not American Eagle (AE22). It is fun, cool looking, and my friend has one that will eat anything. I hate him. Frankly, I think the plastic front sights are an embarrasment to Walther. I called S&W, (importers of the P22) and they told me it will reliably shoot only hyper-velocity...stingers etc. What an admission of failed engineering.

Another friend got a Sig. It was a pain until Sig told him it will shoot reliably only with Stingers or equivelant. Now it shoots fine, just costs a lot more to shoot than a .22 should!

These are .22s, and they are notoriously finicky about ammo. Two "identical" guns off the assembly line right after one another, may opperate totally differently.

LSP972

<<it would be on consignment in two seconds...>>

And you would miss out on a fun little pistol.

Both have zinc slides, and therefore need a bit of TLC as opposed to a real steel gun.

Anyone who has, or is contemplating getting, a P22 should check out the tutorials on www.rimfirecentral.com by 1911-1917M. The P22 is enhanced by a few "mods", prior to shooting it, that are easy to do for anyone.

I'm well past 4000 rounds on mine now, and the only malfs are the occasional dud cartridge; it really likes the Remingto Golden bullet bulk pack ammo, but that stuff is made rather cheaply. Still, for ten bucks per 550 rounds, I'll put up with a misfire every now and then. Its a .22, a play gun.

The mystique of the P22 lies in its small size; its just a neat little toy. The Mosquito is full-sized; if you're going to go that route, might as well get a REAL .22 pistol. The zinc parts are indeed crap; but the P22, at least, seems to work just fine. With S&W's lifetime warranty, if it craps out, just ship it back to them; they'll send you a new one...;)