walther model 5 disassembly

farnorthdan

Hi all....I'm new to the forum and looking for some help; I just puschased a walther model 5 - 25acp and am try to figure out how to disassemble for cleaning. I have various other walther models PPK's mostly and this model 5 is nothing like them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, DAN

SDC

It should strip down the same way the Model 2 does: http://www.whog.org/originals/Walther_Model_2.htm
First, take the mag out and cycle the slide several times; MAKE SURE THE PISTOL IS EMPTY. There's a knurled ring at the front of the slide, acting as a barrel bushing, and you should be able to press that in and give it a half-turn. It will be under spring pressure, so be careful while you're turning it. Once that's off, you can ease the spring forward, and this should also let you pull the slide all the way back, lift the rear of the slide up, then pull it off the front of the barrel. That's about as far as you should ever NEED to strip it down, unless there's part of the lockwork broken or missing, or there's a bunch of gunk interfering with their movement. Reassembly is reversed. HTH.

farnorthdan

New problem with Walther model 5

Thanks for the info SDC it worked...kinda hard getting it back together though. I've got another problem with gun; in the throws of trying to figure out how to disasseble the gun, I removed the safety lever and now I can't get it back in the right way. I'm afraid I may have really screwed up this time and may have to send it to be repaired which is to bad as the gun is new to me and in pristine condition and I haven't even gotten a chance to shoot it yet. Do you know how to get this lever back in? Or who would be good gunsmith to send to that works on walthers. Thanks, Dan

SDC

I've never had one that far apart, sorry, but it doesn't look like it would be TOO difficult to get back in order, provided you've got all the parts. Here's a picture of one stripped COMPLETELY down, but it doesn't show exactly how everything meshes. The tricky part looks like it might be getting the little spring into the right spot.

walt52p.jpg

farnorthdan

exactely

That would seem to be the problem I'm having; getting the spring to sit on the pin right. Anyways thanks for all the info and I guess I'll be making a trip to the gunsmith.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't recall having one of those apart, but it looks like reassembly might require a slave pin, which is a short pin that holds parts together to install them, then is driven out by the regular pin, in this case the safety shaft.

Jim