Walther GSP 22 LR Ammo Choice

jason.h

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Walther GSP in 22lr and was wondering what kind of 22 I should be running through it. Normally I buy the cheapest 22 I can for shooting but since this is a more premium handgun is that a bad idea? Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm not looking to spend too much on the ammo, maybe around 10 cents a round. What would the best brand be in that general price range? I want to get good accuracy out of the ammo, but I'm not going to be shooting in competition or anything just for fun.

Thanks!

Jim Watson

My first stop for decent but not extravagant .22 is CCI Standard Velocity.
I have had good shooting from Wolf and SK Jagd but mostly in a bolt action rifle, it is very mild and only functional in some autos.

FlyFish

My GSP shoots just about everything well, and definitely better than I can shoot it. I believe they test them with Eley Tenex and the 25-meter test target that came with mine is just one not-so-ragged hole, so I've always assumed that ammo to be the gold standard. However, I didn't want to sell off any of my yachts or polo ponies to raise the cash I'd need to buy it, so I never tried any myself.

Like many if not most, I started off shooting CCI SV, and it worked just fine. After a few cases of CCI I noticed that the CMP was selling Aguila SV for only $160 per case, delivered to my door, so I decided to give it a try. I couldn't tell the difference, either in accuracy or dependability, so that's what I've used ever since (CMP no longer sells it, so I get it elsewhere, still at a very good price). Some 50,000 rounds later I'm still using it as are many of the other GSP shooters in my Bullseye league.

jason.h

Thanks guys, I ended up buying some cci SV. I also have some Aguila, I'll try it out and see if there's any difference.

Thanks!

wild cat mccane

Lucky dog. :)

It is kinda funny that it's $2K gun and not wanting to break the bank on ammo :)

Would love to see pics if you have them.

Enjoy!

mk70ss

I shot Aguila SV and CCI SV for years in my GSP in bullseye competition and they were extremely accurate and zero misfires/malfunctions.

T. O'Heir

You need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo that pistol both shoots well and cycles the action. The price means nothing.
"...It's a $2K gun..." My thought too. And you still have to try a box of as many brands as you can.

mikejonestkd

CCI Standard velocity ammo tends to run the best in just about all of my 22 target pistols.
BTW, its not a $2K pistol, at least I hope you didn't pay that much for it!!

DaleA

You need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo that pistol both shoots well and cycles the action.

Sound advice. It's not only a fun thing to do, you get to pontificate and tell everyone you're doing some "serious research".

FWIW I'd make sure I included the Federal AutoMatch .22LR 40 grain solids in the mix. They've been selling 325 round bulk packs of it around here (Twin Cities MN) pretty cheaply lately.

Also, FWIW, I knew a very good bullseye shooter back in the early 1980's that shot Remington Thunderbolts in his S&W 41 target .22 pistol. He claimed they shot almost as well as his expensive Eley target ammo. YMMV (your mileage may (almost certainly) vary).

DaleA

Whelp, when I got the chance to shoot my coach's Anschutz "smallbore" target rifle I used Remington standard velocity so I guess I'm just that kind of a guy.

jason.h

Thanks guys, I have a few different brands on hand gonna try them all out.
The GSP is used, bought it for 800.

On a side note, Big Five sent me a coupon for Aguila SV 500 round bricks for 10 bucks, bought 5 bricks so hopefully they work well for me!