Walther G22

DBOUNCE1

are they any good guys? i need a 22 rifle just to play around with that is cheap to shoot and it seems like EVERYONE has a ruger 10/22 so i kinda want something different so i wanna hear some opinions on the G22's I don't know anyone who has one

fal762

I gave my dad one for Christmas. He shoots it often. He has never said a negative thing about it. I shot it a couple of times and enjoyed it. The only drawback is the ejection port is close to your ear, it can be a little loud.

FirstFreedom

Do a search here and at www.rimfirecentral.com . There are many threads on the rifle. I ended up not wanting one after I read that when you take them down, little springs fly across the room to be lost. Not takedown-friendly. Other than that, it's a cute lil bullpup with lots of places to hang rifle ornaments off of.

kozak6

I have heard disassembly is akin to disassembling the space shuttle.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with a good 10/22. There's so many different options availible it's incredibly easy to put together a unique one.

There's even a few bullpup options.

40CalGuy

G22 info

I will say this... I was on the same track and train of thought that you are, about 3 months ago. I did buy a G22, and don't own a Ruger 10/22. Do I regret the purchase? No, I don't. That being said, I did have initial issues with the open sights. Even the lowest front post was holding 6" low @ 25yds for me, which was strange, as no other rifle has given me that trouble...nor did my P99 pistol (yeah, they're both OD Green to match). The rifle, I paid $350. Walther was running a free softcase deal via mail, after puchase ($50 value) so I got that as well (Walther customer service is great). I added the Barska scope, tac handle, and a bipod. I've got about $475 (what I paid...so not including the softcase) into it now. It's fun. I gets lots of looks, and lots of questions. Everyone seems to think it's a .223 or other centerfire mid-caliber rifle. They can't believe anyone would make a bullpup .22lr rifle, and they always want to shoot it. I do have a lot of fun with it. It does get more use than any other gun that I own, but perhaps that's because it costs more than any other gun that I own (after it's all said and done), and the ammo is cheaper than any other gun as well. I am still looking to get a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 60, just because.

The cleaning part...well, all I can say it that the action of the rifle does make it a bitt difficult to clean. The receiver itself it made of Zinc. I don't really have a problem with that, as .22lr isn't going to heat it up enough to do anything to it, no matter how fast you pull that trigger (and believe me, you will). The thing that is a problem though, is the small springs that like to fly off when you take the action out of the plastic butt off of the receiver. You will spend a good amount of time cleaning the small moving parts. Buy Q-tips, you will need them. The action will get very dirty, and the parts are small. Expect to spend almost an hour cleaning it the first few times, until you get familiar, after that, about 45 minutes for a full breakdown and clean. It's kind of a pain. This is really the only thing that makes me consider looking for a 10/22 or 60, just for ease of cleanup. When I take 4 other guns out, this one easily consumes 1/2 the cleaning time when I get home. I don't really know what to tell you about this part of it, that's just the way it is.

It's fun to shoot, you can add some stuff to it, since it has 3 rails. It's fairly lightweight on it's own, if you intend to carry it for a hike or something. It is accurate. It gets lots of looks and questions. It's a good investment. It's a pain to clean. You'll want another .22lr to balance out the burden of cleaning this one. There are some +3 followers for the magazines, to give you a 13 round capacity. Walther has no plans that I know of to release extended or high-cap mags. The mags are single stack, and flush fit to the stock, and this is Walther, not Glock. My bet would be that they intend to keep the whole design snag-free and also keep the lines of the rifle. Walther is not one of the most after market friendly companies. That being said, I've not shot a Walther that didn't do it's job well.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=33992424&imageID=761535627&MyToken=93288270-581d-42aa-ab80-8ba47f62be87

Last edited: