Walther G22-A3 Range Report (22LR bullpup)

jg0001

Walther G22-A3 Range Report (22LR bullpup)

I've been shooting my Walther G22 (A3) for a while now and it has become my every-trip rifle. It is a 22LR bullpup rifle made by Walther and distributed by Smith & Wesson.

Here is a picture of the G22 A3 setup, which is what I have. Sorry it's the generic marketing photo, not one of my own. The "A3" just designates that it came pre-packaged with a scope AND red laser unit. The scope is nothing special, a simple 3x-9x job. The laser is custom designed for this rifle and is form fitted and shaped to go right under the barrel (it is attached in the photo below).

2hn2vk6.jpg

Here is my range report... sorry, but I only use an indoor range, so the distance isn't exactly impressive.

For these shots, I was standing and using a cheap-o bipod that sat on the port's bench. I was going for the "X" and not necessarily tight groups. I was also rapid firing at times.

This is a fun little gun to own, it's cheap, the ammo's cheap, and it's one of the few I own that I can pop off the entire magazine and not care. I feed it Federal Champion #510, which is a solid nose 22LR. I'm not sure if it has a preference, but it does quite well with that for a 22.

Here is my range photo...
291doy0.jpg

and a close-up of the same...
8qdk.jpg

The whole rifle, setup as shown in the pic above, with an included case, cost me less than the Eotech sight on my big-boy rifle so I'd say it was a good purchase for cheap, plinking fun.

bipe215

I just got a G22 this weekend. Lots of cheap fun and very accurate. The only gripe I have is the trigger is a little harsh. Pretty easy to shoot quarter-size groups at fifty yards.

Steve G

Laker

I was just going to ask for opinions for the G22. Seem that you like it. A local shop has a used one for $350. Is that a fair price? I would use it for plinking, and at the range shooting steel plates and bowling pins as well as punching paper. My first choice was a Ruger 10/22. How would they compare, and what would others choose?

austinjking

They were closer to $400 when I was seriously looking at them. I really liked the bull pup design and the rail system. My dad wanted to sway me towards the T/C 22 bolt rifle, I ended up with a 10/22. Which I love to death :D
Fun looking rifle though

Singlesix1954

The thing pi$$i$ me off. I have a raced 10/22 that I love. My G22 will shoot circles around it right out of the box. I tried to get it to stop shooting so I didn't clean it till it started jamming. Took about 3.5 bricks of assorted ammo.
The other problem I had was that if my 14yr old girl is shooting with me I can't get it away from her. Only remedy for this was to buy a second one.
I had one threaded for my suppresor. This was a waste of money. Too much action noise, even when useing subsonic ammo. Both guns shoot the same, triggers are very simular. Triggers are weird at first, but after a few shots you get it and they work better than you would think just dryfiring. This format is for biatholon novice comp.

I hate to think of you wasteing your hard earned cash on one. Where did you say it was for sale?

Mowog

I like mine - but its not perfect.

Nice report jg0001 - I like my Walther G22 too!
I wrote about mine here: http://gunfiresitetwo.blogspot.com/2008/08/range-report-walther-g22-rifle.html
Its a fun rifle to shoot. I bring it to the range when not bringing my GSG-5.
The trigger takes some getting used to. I'm not great with the trigger, but I am improving.
It is not easy or fun to clean. Taking it apart for cleaning involves hex screws and small springs. The good news is its not fussy between infrequent cleaning.
The scope it comes with was OK in my opinion, but if you are not hung up on having the Walther logo on it - you might be happier with a better inexpensive scope.
Fun and cheap to shoot with funky bull pup looks.

G22_LeftSide_small.jpg

OcelotZ3

This might sound hokey, but a guy found that putting folded up cardboard between the trigger bar and (barrel?) made a pretty big difference in the trigger feel.

I haven't tried it with mine but next time I have it apart...

Oh, I recommend taking it apart inside a large plastic bag the first few times so you don't lose the springs!

Scott

Crosshair

I got to shoot someones G22 once at the range.

Great gun but WAY too much action noise. Most 22s you can get away with no hearing protection if you are out in the open. Not with the G22. I don't know what it is with the gun but there is just so much action noise it's unbelievable. It's not just the ejection port being so close to your ear either.

I had been thinking about getting one and suppressing it, but not after that. Accurate little gun though. Trigger is heavy, but very consistent.